DJ in the student section/something new for the team run-out

Animal02

Banned
Collins isn't trying to out-recruit Georgia, though I'm sure he'd love to do so. He's trying to claw back to GT the kids from the area that would love to have a local option where they can play big time football where the kids WANT to play and think it's cool to play. That's not really the kids going to Georgia, though maybe here and there we might get one or two but I would highly doubt that CGC is counting on that group of kids. It's the ones that are leaving the state that could handle GT, and I believe strongly that there are more than you think (though I'm sure we'll agree to disagree on that and that's OK, we don't have to agree in order to have a good conversation) though it's certainly not as high a number as our competitors can recruit from, that he's targeting. We won't out-recruit Alabama or Auburn or Florida but some of the kids who might be looking there may give us a look or the kids looking at USCe or TAMU or others like that or the more academic schools like Stanford or Duke (the ones that we would want, not all of them) may turn their eyes back to their home 404.

I would say, as well, that there's nobody who understands better the ways to recruit nationally at GT specifically than Collins. He's done it at the highest level. Remember how he got himself into recruiting for GT was by browbeating George O'Leary into letting him recruit the rest of the country BESIDES the main areas we were already into. So he gets that. And I can say with near certainty that the message to those kids isn't "represent the 404 because it's your home" but rather "come down to the awesome 404/ATL where we have a great school that is unmatched, we will play top level football, and you will have the internships and life in the ATL that few top level schools can offer."

Don't look at the "404" as a way to exclude folks from outside the metro area. Look at it more as connecting GT to everything that is great about the city of Atlanta (of course I'm sure some won't like that we're in a big city but we are what we are, we aren't going to be a small college town so the kids that want that aren't right for this place) as a selling tool. I have a feeling that we're going to be fine from a recruiting strategy standpoint. We just need to show progress towards the goal of playing big time football again in order to keep that as the backdrop for the message.
I see it as fragmented marketing/ branding which I think is a bad idea.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I have said for years that Tech needs to recruit nationally.

The pool of recruits that A) Qualify at Tech B) Are willing to put up with the academics and C) Desire a major that is offered at Tech.
You can say it until you're blue in the face but that's not going to make it right. You lock down Georgia recruits that fit box A, B & C and them the rest will take care of it self. If we just start getting just SOME of the blue clippers in the metro Atlanta we will be good. These guys might want to "put on for their city"

As far as the DJ---lets go!! We need some energy in the stadium. Let's move into a new era. Let's get butts in the seats and let's get the butts back out of their seats and cheering the white and gold! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Just going to say this again. Georgia Tech's phone number is 404-894-2000. The 404 branding is solely used to represent GT. It doesn't matter what area code they hand out these days. It's not meant to represent Atlanta as a whole, that's what "ATL" is for.
Easy now. You are making way too much sense

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
404 was the only area code for a long time in atl inside the perimeter. Last 20-30 they added 678 and with cell phones 770 etc. thats the significance of 404. Its the traditional atl code.

So fine. I am good with it. No issue. Just because you adopt a new slogan or whatever doesn’t mean the others are not relevant or are in some way diminished. Young kids like writing the area code on their stuff where they are from. They identify the concept. So collins is trying to connect that way

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
In this continuos entertain me selfie world, u see that when the piped in music starts many many people get up and dance to the music. They dance in the hope of being seen on the jumbotron.

IB is right about the legendary 09 game having great piped in music and fantastic use of the YELLOW -- GACKETS cheer.

The band was also magnificent that night .

As the game ended and the joyous fans emptied on to the field they gravitated to the north end zone where the band was playing Ramblin Wreck. They were playing Ramblin Wrek . They were playing ramblin wrek over and over as the gold post was pulled over, t boned and removed from the field. I bet they got a"" talkin to "" by the lawyers.

Ramblin WREK played in bds by our great band is a thing of beauty.
A couple extra rounds of BUD happened as well.

There was a stern talking to delivered by the time it made it all the way downhill. And as a result the Band can no longer play if there are fans on the field. After f$u 2015, the Band waited until the field was cleared before they played The Horse.

A couple extra rounds of BUD happened as well.

There was a stern talking to delivered by the time it made it all the way downhill. And as a result the Band can no longer play if there are fans on the field. After f$u 2015, the Band waited until the field was cleared before they played The Horse.
Why do they have that rule now? That makes no sense.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
Why do they have that rule now? That makes no sense.
Let’s make a list of possible reasons:
1. Safety of students, student athletes, the Band, and security personnel
2. Replacing goalposts is expensive
3. Avoid damage to the field
4. GTAA asked for this
5. GTPD requested this

There were a number of students that were injured when those goal posts came down. That is probably the biggest driver.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I see it as fragmented marketing/ branding which I think is a bad idea.

I understand where you’re coming from but it’s not. It would be fragmented marketing if the messaging conflicted. Meaning that the message to local recruits was one thing and the message to national recruits was the opposite.

In my work I deal with marketers at multinational brands all the time and they have to market to diverse groups because the people who buy those brands are very diverse. What you can’t do is say to group A “our brand is great for people who like X but dislike Y” and to group B “our brand is great for people who like Y but dislike X.” What you do is you highlight the strengths of your brand as they relate to each market segment.

Something else you do as a marketer is decide which groups are the most important for you because you can’t market to everyone equally. Sometimes you have to pick one or two to focus on first and clearly our football program has done that. But the message of “play for and represent your home, the 404” to the local kids is not excluding the national recruits to whom you are saying “come to the 404 and play in this dynamic environment at a great school.” That’s just not fragmented at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s make a list of possible reasons:
1. Safety of students, student athletes, the Band, and security personnel
2. Replacing goalposts is expensive
3. Avoid damage to the field
4. GTAA asked for this
5. GTPD requested this

There were a number of students that were injured when those goal posts came down. That is probably the biggest driver.
I understand the limitations concerning the students on the field. But what has the band playing while they are out there got to do with any of that?

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand the limitations concerning the students on the field. But what has the band playing while they are out there got to do with any of that?
Band playing while they’re out there doesn’t give anybody incentive to clear the field and not do something dumb in what is largely an uncontrollable situation. Why is that hard to grasp?

Band playing while they’re out there doesn’t give anybody incentive to clear the field and not do something dumb in what is largely an uncontrollable situation. Why is that hard to grasp?
Sorry, but when everybody stormed the field after the 2016 FSU game, stopping the band from playing didn't have any effect whatsoever.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I was in band for the 2011 clemson game and the word was we weren't allowed to play because they didnt want us to incite a riot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk