Disney and YouTubeTV in a spat

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My point was more around you are willing to pay $x for the 5 channels you want. It really doesn’t matter if the other channels have a price associated with them. The a la carte movement (ie cord cutting) is evaporating in front of our eyes because people are willing to spend big bucks to get those 5 channels and all of the services know that.
Frustrating. Got rid of direct TV because it was always going out and repair service was always a week away.

What I like about FireStick and YouTubeTV is the easy intuitive nature of it, good recording functionality and flawless fast forward through commercials and long time outs. But losing HBO several months ago during some contract dispute was frustrating.

slugboy

Staff member
Disney owns Hulu and YTTV is a direct competitor. How motivated is Disney to come to a reasonable deal with a competitor it would just as soon see disappear?
1. It’s “co-opetition”. Competitors make deals all the time
2. Disney competes with every cable and streaming service through Disney+
3. Disney’s sales reps are motivated to make a deal. The “competitor” angle doesn’t factor into that
4. If Disney doesn’t make a deal, every other cable outlet will cite their diminishing market share as a reason to pay less

They will make a deal. They’re haggling over the split.

Now Sinclair and Bally sports are different. They priced themselves out of the market entirely. They’re a lesson for all the other content providers, though—you can shear a sheep every year but you can only butcher it once

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Ugh this is so frustrating. They write us a nice letter pointing fingers at the other side as if we're supposed to care or overlook. I need ESPN like tonight to watch a match. Might end up pausing YTTV and going with Sling until the spat is over, at which time, I'll return to YTTV. Sling Orange is $35 ($10 for the 1st month so hope the dispute is resolved by then). I've enjoyed YTTV for years and love the features (esp the unlimited DVR, separate family accounts wink wink) and started at $35 when things were really good for us consumers... then went to $50, then $65. But in the end, I do like YTTV. Really the only Disney channels I would care for are ESPN channels and ACC Network.

Side note, something I learned while researching Sling. They have Sling Orange, Sling Blue, and Sling Orange + Blue. Orange with the sports channels only have a 1 screen limit. Blue is 3. Orange + Blue is 3 for blue channels and still 1 for Orange channels... so damn complicated and really not customer friendly.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Same here. I hate Spectrum, but there is no other alternative for me. Sling TV would be $70 and still have missing pieces.

$70 for Sling? I do $46 (=$35 Orange +$11 Sports Extra) and have all the sports I want.

Of course I have a digital antenna I use a couple times a year too for broadcast stuff. And Amazon Prime I pay for for other reasons. And use my kids Netflix, Disney+. And there are lots of "free" stations with commercials on my Amazon Fire router.

Plus GTSwarm snark to flavor it all.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
That's usually what happens. It why I stick with my provider a bit...and who cares if you miss an episode of Housewives or two? I really don't like the strangle-hold that eSECpn has over our sports content and sports in general.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Google gave the big FU to Disney.
Ok so I'm back in business.
When I checked my YouTube TV after “the deal” I suddenly had about 10 new channels, none of which I watch, but wondered if some other channels paid some money to get carried thus giving YouTube more leverage.