Discussion of Uga QB's along with a smattering of Clemson talk

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I agree it is ridiculous. Tulane went 7-6 and 6-6 the two years before Long showed up at Tulane, then dropped to 2-10 under him. Clemson went from 10 wins in 2020 to... 10 wins in 2021. There is no comparison.

uga scored less offensive points on Clemson than we did, guess their offense must have really sucked huh?

And people are still calling for Stetson Bennett

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And people are still calling for Stetson Bennett

I actually like that guy...I told GT fans he was a pretty darn good QB when he walked on at UGA and that he probably was a better passer than anyone we had on the roster at the time (it was when CPJ was still here). I got raked over the coals for saying that. Well, he just led UGA to a national championship and had the 3rd highest QBR of any college QB last season.

That said, I think he should have rode off to the sunset and left UGA. Can't write a better story book ending than the one he had last year. I understand he probably wants to squeeze as much playing time as possible since he's a low level NFL prospect and college will be the last time he probably plays the game...however, UGA fans may make his last year miserable.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I actually like that guy...I told GT fans he was a pretty darn good QB when he walked on at UGA and that he probably was a better passer than anyone we had on the roster at the time (it was when CPJ was still here). I got raked over the coals for saying that. Well, he just led UGA to a national championship and had the 3rd highest QBR of any college QB last season.

That said, I think he should have rode off to the sunset and left UGA. Can't write a better story book ending than the one he had last year. I understand he probably wants to squeeze as much playing time as possible since he's a low level NFL prospect and college will be the last time he probably plays the game...however, UGA fans may make his last year miserable.

Bennett didn't lead UGA to a National championship, he followed a once in a life time defense stacked with 5th and 6th year seniors that were pretty much all drafted. All he had to do was not **** it up. (Which he did when they faced full strength alabama and they lost)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bennett didn't lead UGA to a National championship, he followed a once in a life time defense stacked with 5th and 6th year seniors that were pretty much all drafted. All he had to do was not **** it up. (Which he did when they faced full strength alabama and they lost)

So UGA didn't need to score any points the entire season...they just had to shutout every school they played? You're trying to equate one opponent to say that's all UGA had to beat make it to and win the national championship...OK...

UGA's OFEI was #3 in the nation last year. Bennett had nothing to do with it?
Bennett was the 4th most efficient passer in the country last year. Higher than Bryce Young...Alabama's QB and the Heisman winner. That was due to UGA's defense, right?

Come on man...you're better than that.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
In 2017 they had Kelly Bryant at QB, a true freshman Etienne at RB, and a 6th round draft pick as their leading receiver and they finished 14th in offensive efficiency and made the playoffs.

They also a DL of Clelin Farrell, Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins, & Austin Bryant on the DL allowing only 13ppg

Renfrow went 6th rd bc he is primarily a slot who ran 4.6. That doesn’t take how really good he was and Freshman Etienne rushed for 13 TDs and
avg 7yds/car. Am i missing something?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
They also a DL of Clelin Farrell, Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins, & Austin Bryant on the DL allowing only 13ppg

Renfrow went 6th rd bc he is primarily a slot who ran 4.6. That doesn’t take how really good he was and Freshman Etienne rushed for 13 TDs and
avg 7yds/car. Am i missing something?
They had a great defense just like last year. They also had a really good offense unlike last year. That's how they had so much success and they did it without overwhelming talent. I guess I just don't buy into all of their offensive success being because of a few generational guys when there is evidence to the contrary.

JacketFan137

Banned
So UGA didn't need to score any points the entire season...they just had to shutout every school they played? You're trying to equate one opponent to say that's all UGA had to beat make it to and win the national championship...OK...

Bennett was the 4th most efficient passer in the country last year. Higher than Bryce Young...Alabama's QB and the Heisman winner. That was due to UGA's defense, right?

bennett was good and made some really big throws especially in the championship but he’s definitely a game manager type who is not going to elevate a team. he was pretty much the product of having an elite o line, stable of nfl caliber rbs, insane TE group and a few solid WRs.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
bennett was good and made some really big throws especially in the championship but he’s definitely a game manager type who is not going to elevate a team. he was pretty much the product of having an elite o line, stable of nfl caliber rbs, insane TE group and a few solid WRs.

A QB still needs to throw the ball to the right guy, and still needs to read the defenses. He caused a 5 star former starter to transfer, and multiple other former elite QB recruits to transfer out. He also held off a 4 star QB and 5 star QB that was on the roster.

If all those elite offensive weapons just needed a "game manager", then why didn't any of those other more physically gifted QBs get the job done? At some point you have to give Bennett credit for being a good QB.

JacketFan137

Banned
A QB still needs to throw the ball to the right guy, and still needs to read the defenses. He caused a 5 star former starter to transfer, and multiple other former elite QB recruits to transfer out. He also held off a 4 star QB and 5 star QB that was on the roster.

If all those elite offensive weapons just needed a "game manager", then why didn't any of those other more physically gifted QBs get the job done? At some point you have to give Bennett credit for being a good QB.
kirby smart started jake fromm over justin fields and probably cost his team the title in 2019 because of it. it’s not crazy to say that he is a bad evaluator of qb talent and doesn’t know how to use guys. he also favors experience over everything time and time again. there’s a non zero chance that both guys behind him end up being way better than him.

i don’t think he’s bad or anything but i have a hard time calling him a GOOD qb and based on the fact he is entering his 6th college season and is getting zero interest in the nfl right now.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
kirby smart started jake fromm over justin fields and probably cost his team the title in 2019 because of it. it’s not crazy to say that he is a bad evaluator of qb talent and doesn’t know how to use guys. he also favors experience over everything time and time again. there’s a non zero chance that both guys behind him end up being way better than him.

i don’t think he’s bad or anything but i have a hard time calling him a GOOD qb and based on the fact he is entering his 6th college season and is getting zero interest in the nfl right now.
He can be a very good to great CFB qb and not be an NFL prototype/prospect, surely you realize that? On the other hand if you just hate him because he‘s a dawg then i am totally down with that.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think it was a defensive lapse (2nd and 27) that cost them a title. Not their QB play that year.
2019 was the year fields transferred to ohio state. uga had a great team and could have done a lot more but fromm’s inability to make plays cost them a game against south carolina where south carolina literally didn’t have a qb, and they just got absolutely blasted by lsu because they couldn’t keep their offense on the field as fromm really struggled. meanwhile fields finished 3rd in the heisman race and had the offense as one of the best in the country. i think uga had the talent everywhere but had no one to make plays on offense as playing with a guy like fromm is basically handicapping yourself. had kirby done the smart thing and made fields the starter sooner i think he stays and uga had the roster to compete at every other position except the qb spot

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Leading means well actually leading. Bennett was not the person they leaned on to win the game. That was their defense and running game.

And yes it actually was. We used to damn near lead the country in passing efficiency as well. pretty sure both tevin washington and JT were way up there as well. Bennet had a strong running game and was able to work off play action and swing passes/pop passes alot of the time to balloon his numbers. And a defense that was allowing what less than 10 points a game most of the year.

The statement was "lead". He didn't lead them. He was just a guy who did his job.

Bryce young threw the ball twice as many times as Stetson bennet.

1Bryce Young1536654766.948728.910.0477167.5

vs

Stetson Bennett

had a higher completion percentage, nearly twice as many yards, a lot more TDS and the same amount of interceptions. So that PASS EFF rating is well... eh tells us nothing.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

They gave up like 9 points a game. At one point in the season their defense scored more points on opponents than they were giving up. So yes all he had to do was no F up.

davesbrain

Georgia Tech Fan

In supplement, Bennett didn't play a snap on the Clemson game, if I recall, that was jt Daniels ?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They gave up like 9 points a game. At one point in the season their defense scored more points on opponents than they were giving up. So yes all he had to do was no F up.

LOL, that's quite the dumb statement.

Last I checked, football is still a game where you have to score more points than the other team to win. Did UGA have a very good defense? Absolutely...ranked the 2nd best defense since 2005, right behind 'Bama's 2011 defense. But guess what? UGA's offense, especially their passing, was also one of the best in the nation in 2021 (#3 OFEI, #10 Scoring offense, #4 Passing Efficiency) and a lot of that has to do with quarterback play. It's not like UGA had a great running game either for Stetson and UGA to lean on. UGA's rushing offense was #36 in the nation in 2021...which makes UGA's OFEI of #3 pretty remarkable. That's was behind 'Bama's OFEI of #2. Your offense doesn't rank that high in efficiency if all your QB does is "not F up". It means your QB is taking high level shots down the field and completing passes those passes at a high percentage. We should know that well with CPJ's offense.

No Stetson didn't put up fantasy level numbers like Bryce Young did, but he also passed HALF as much as Young did, and his 2021 season was the most efficient passing season in UGA's history. Above Matt Stafford, above Aaron Murray, above Eric Zeier, above David Greene, above Jake Fromm. All QBs who played in the NFL. As we know from CPJ's offense, efficiency means more than padding stats. In fact, Bennett's 2021 efficiency rating would have ranked #40 ALL TIME among ALL QBs that have played college football since 1956. That includes Bryce Young's 2021 Heisman campaign that came in at #99 on the all time efficiency list:

(BTW, if you want good ammo on why GT should hire Coastal Carolina's Jamey Chadwell if CGC doesn't work out, look at the all time #1 and #17 efficient QBs on that list.)

In the college football playoff era, do you know how many teams have won a national championship with a QB outside of the top 20 in passing efficiency for the year?

ONE:

2014 - Ohio State - JT Barrett #5
*Note, JT Barrett injured before B1G Championship, Jones took over from B1GC to NCAACG
2015 - Alabama - Jake Coker - *NR
2016 - Clemson - DeShaun Watson #19
2017 - Alabama - Jalen Hurts #19
2018 - Clemson - Trevor Lawrence #12
2019 - LSU - Joe Burrow #1
2020 - Alabama - Mac Jones #1
2021 - UGA - Stetson Bennett #4

It was Stetson's ability to breakdown 'Bama's defense in the national championship game in the 4th quarter with 2 TD passes (BTW, 'Bama's DFEI for 2021 was #6...so that wasn't a chump defense either) that forced Bama and Bryce Young to take chances, and it gave UGA's vaunted defense the ability to force pressure Young which led to the now famous INT return for a TD which iced the game.

Yes, I know Bennett is dawg, and it's ingrained in our DNA to hate everything dawg related, but to say Bennett was just a game manager in the face of those facts is...well, exactly what a dawg would do.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Leading means well actually leading. Bennett was not the person they leaned on to win the game. That was their defense and running game.

And yes it actually was. We used to damn near lead the country in passing efficiency as well. pretty sure both tevin washington and JT were way up there as well. Bennet had a strong running game and was able to work off play action and swing passes/pop passes alot of the time to balloon his numbers. And a defense that was allowing what less than 10 points a game most of the year.

The statement was "lead". He didn't lead them. He was just a guy who did his job.

Bryce young threw the ball twice as many times as Stetson bennet.

1Bryce Young1536654766.948728.910.0477167.5

vs

Stetson Bennett

had a higher completion percentage, nearly twice as many yards, a lot more TDS and the same amount of interceptions. So that PASS EFF rating is well... eh tells us nothing.

Tell everyone you don't understand how stats work, and you don't understand football without telling us you don't understand stats and football.

Young had the THIRD most passing attempts in all of college football last season. He passed the ball almost TWICE as much Bennett (as you pointed out). Of course he should have higher VOLUME numbers than Bennett. The fact that you would use volume numbers to compare to Bennett's numbers is quite silly.

Bennett has more yards per attempt, more yards per completion, and more TDs per attempt/completion. That's why his efficiency rating is better than Young's, and that's why efficiency is more important than volume numbers. Does that mean everything? NO...but it does mean Bennett was a far better QB than just a "game manager". To Young's credit, he was pretty efficient himself.

Also, you may want to check your statement that UGA's team was just the defense and the running game. UGA's running game was #36 in the country last year. Defense was one of the best in college football history, but you still have to have a good offense to win a National Championship...which UGA's was #3 in OFEI (right behind 'Bama's #2) which Bennett LED the offense to.

To take it one step further, how much of an impact was Bennett at QB for UGA? Let's look at QBR which measures more than just stats...but the ability to make plays (both passing and running) when it matters:

Bennett had the #3 QBR rating in 2021, behind CJ Stroud (#1) and Bryce Young (#2).

This doesn't mean Bennett is the NFL prospect either of them are (and that's not the point of this discussion), but it does mean that Bennett is far better than just "a game manager". His performance on the field was just as important to UGA's winning as the defense. Last I checked, you're not going to win many games if the offense can't score, and UGA's offense was the #3 OFEI offense.

IF you don't want to give Bennett credit for anything because he's a dawg and you're a homer, that's fine. But any comment that he didn't "lead" or he's just a "game manager" is just dumb and flies in the face of statistical facts.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Tell everyone you don't understand how stats work, and you don't understand football without telling us you don't understand stats and football.

Young had the THIRD most passing attempts in all of college football last season. He passed the ball almost TWICE as much Bennett (as you pointed out). Of course he should have higher VOLUME numbers than Bennett. The fact that you would use volume numbers to compare to Bennett's numbers is quite silly.

Bennett has more yards per attempt, more yards per completion, and more TDs per attempt/completion. That's why his efficiency rating is better than Young's, and that's why efficiency is more important than volume numbers. Does that mean everything? NO...but it does mean Bennett was a far better QB than just a "game manager". To Young's credit, he was pretty efficient himself.

Also, you may want to check your statement that UGA's team was just the defense and the running game. UGA's running game was #36 in the country last year. Defense was one of the best in college football history, but you still have to have a good offense to win a National Championship...which UGA's was #3 in OFEI (right behind 'Bama's #2) which Bennett LED the offense to.

To take it one step further, how much of an impact was Bennett at QB for UGA? Let's look at QBR which measures more than just stats...but the ability to make plays (both passing and running) when it matters:

Bennett had the #3 QBR rating in 2021, behind CJ Stroud (#1) and Bryce Young (#2).

This doesn't mean Bennett is the NFL prospect either of them are (and that's not the point of this discussion), but it does mean that Bennett is far better than just "a game manager". His performance on the field was just as important to UGA's winning as the defense. Last I checked, you're not going to win many games if the offense can't score, and UGA's offense was the #3 OFEI offense.

IF you don't want to give Bennett credit for anything because he's a dawg and you're a homer, that's fine. But any comment that he didn't "lead" or he's just a "game manager" is just dumb and flies in the face of statistical facts.

I watched him crumble in the SEC championship game. You know who else has amazing numbers but really isn't much of a leader? Aaron Rodgers. Again I will say he didn't really lead the team there YPA are not that far off. And it was obvious bama was relying youngs arm and leadership to win games. When he lost his receiving core he was still putting the ball on target they were just dropping them. Which lead to wasted possessions in the NC game.

Also please tell me a game outside of bama Bennett did anything other than coast to a win on the back of the defense? I'll wait.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I watched him crumble in the SEC championship game. You know who else has amazing numbers but really isn't much of a leader? Aaron Rodgers. Again I will say he didn't really lead the team there YPA are not that far off. And it was obvious bama was relying youngs arm and leadership to win games. When he lost his receiving core he was still putting the ball on target they were just dropping them. Which lead to wasted possessions in the NC game.

Also please tell me a game outside of bama Bennett did anything other than coast to a win on the back of the defense? I'll wait.

What exactly are you arguing?! I've already proven Bennett is more than just a game manager, and statistics show he did indeed "LEAD" UGA with respect to his side of the ball. Everything I've posted has shown Bennett didn't just "coast" on the back of his defense...and that is exactly what the QBR is telling you. Obviously you'd rather be ignorant of the data.

Arguing otherwise is just arguing for the sake of arguing. Is that what you're trying to do? IF so, have at it. My case is closed and I'm on to more productive and better things...like a good cup of coffee.