Disappointment

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We just simply disagree here. There has been a lot written on our big money boosters not supporting the program in the same way they did prior to Johnson and the way they have done since Collins took over. It wasn’t done out of any hatred of Johnson but rather a belief that Johnson couldn’t capitalize on the contribution. It didn’t matter how much of a budget we had there was an extremely low ceiling on our recruiting due to the triple.
I don't think there can be an argument that having 10 staff members for recruiting would be better than 2-4, regardless of the coach/scheme/decade/school. Our recruiting "ranking" may have had its own ceiling due to not needing NFL projected lineman, but that doesn't mean that our recruits would not have been better. There is a reason our previous two classes were better than previous classes (just look at the young defensive playmakers we have making huge contributions).

I am not arguing whether or not our ceiling is now higher than before, because I frankly don't care. Anyone who thinks our program spending in the past decade prior to TStan taking over didn't directly contribute to our program is missing the forest due to trees.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We just simply disagree here. There has been a lot written on our big money boosters not supporting the program in the same way they did prior to Johnson and the way they have done since Collins took over. It wasn’t done out of any hatred of Johnson but rather a belief that Johnson couldn’t capitalize on the contribution. It didn’t matter how much of a budget we had there was an extremely low ceiling on our recruiting due to the triple.

I wish I could believe that their motives are pure as driven snow...but I don't. I think it was done out of spite and pettiness to the detriment of our football program but it is their money to do with as they pleased. They have gotten what they want and the coach that they want so let's see how it works out.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there can be an argument that having 10 staff members for recruiting would be better than 2-4, regardless of the coach/scheme/decade/school. Our recruiting "ranking" may have had its own ceiling due to not needing NFL projected lineman, but that doesn't mean that our recruits would not have been better. There is a reason our previous two classes were better than previous classes (just look at the young defensive playmakers we have making huge contributions).

I am not arguing whether or not our ceiling is now higher than before, because I frankly don't care. Anyone who thinks our program spending in the past decade prior to TStan taking over didn't directly contribute to our program is missing the forest due to trees.

I agree it had an effect although we disagree on the degree. I also don’t think you can blame the big money from staying on the sidelines.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I wish I could believe that their motives are pure as driven snow...but I don't. I think it was done out of spite and pettiness to the detriment of our football program but it is their money to do with as they pleased. They have gotten what they want and the coach that they want so let's see how it works out.
Withholding spending to the point where Duke began outspending us, and then trying to justify it is beyond me. Handicapping someone and then using performance to justify further handicapping is silly. I am really glad TStan did not agree with his predecessor and immediately began trying to fund the program (yes while CPJ was the coach).

Edit to not double post:
I agree it had an effect. I also don’t think you can blame the big money from staying on the sidelines.
Withholding big money is different than hiring some additional staff members. If it was just big money, then how did TStan find the money to increase the recruiting budget immediately even with CPJ as the coach. Maybe CPJ *was* holding us back from big money that will allow us to get some big name assistant coaches. If that is the case then awesome, our ceiling truly is higher. But I am not talking about millions, I'm talking a couple hundred thousand.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand what point you are making. Is the ONLY scheme available to neutralize a talent deficit is the TO? Are you saying that ONLY CPJ can succeed at GT? Every other offense is basically the same.

This is a defining moment for GT. We tried a scheme-based solution to reduce the impact of our academic rigor on recruiting. It was somewhat successful but was trending flat or declining.

Now we have a scheme more attractive to recruits and a relentless recruiter extolling the merits of coming to GT. If this new approach fails, what approach can be taken then? I'm pulling for CGC to succeed. If he doesn't, I think it will mean we cannot play FBS football AND have academic standards that don't appeal to enough 4- and 5-star players in today's college football environment.

I have no come back, because basically what you said was my point. I believe it is unlikely we will be successful in trying to recruit against the big boys (today's environment for this is even harder than when previous coaches had tried), and the level of pain for the GT fanbase will be higher than has been felt before, and I wonder if we will still have FBS football at a STEM school after that. Recruiting PLUS great coaching is what it will take, as we will never recruit in the top 10 or even top 15 consistently.

FYI - It is NOT a new approach. Others have tried to compete at recruiting at GT and have failed - I am sure they also were extolling the merits of a GT education and lifestyle. I hope CGC proves me wrong.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm getting confused I have a question and not sure if it goes here or bright spots .

After the Citadel game which we lost some said it was right to say CGC if he was not a good coach because we only played 3 games. So then we lost to Temple and they said if wasn't fair to judge him on only 4 game. Now we have lost to unc is it ok to judge him or are we still waiting ? I really need to know when I can judge him, is it ok now or are we still waiting.

A reasonable person makes a judgement based on player development, and overall team improvement from week to week. Player development is hard to quantify in game situations only, so we're left with team improvement. I have to say that overall, the team has improved from week 1 to week 5. Lets see if that plays out over the entire season.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

and how much does it cost in time & money to drive around metro ATL and have a GT presence in area HSs? Because, according to many area HS coaches, there was no GT presence for the last decade, which is inexcusable.

Deleted member 4873

We consistently show what a fragile fan base we are. Have a stiff one (if you need it) and give these guys a chance.

Fans at all schools are terrible. Auburn fans are ready to Fire Malzahn after one loss. FSU wants to fire Taggart and Jimbo left him a mess that’s going to take a while to clean up. Whether it’s Collins or any new coach, it takes time. The OL is undersized by about fifty pounds per position on average. We have no true spread, dropback, passing QB. Collinshas a strong 2020 recruiting class. He’s proven himself as a great defensive co-ordinator so if he cab recruit, we will be fine. It will not be overnight but no fans at any school have patience.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Dabo made $800,000 his first year at Clemson and they were the bottom of the ACC when he took over. No idea why you are comparing Collins' Year 1 salary to Dabo's Year 5 (or 7 or 9, I don't really know) salary.

Swinney's first head coaching contract in 2009 at Clemson paid him $800,000 a year — the lowest salary in the Atlantic Coast Conference. He went 15-12 his first two full seasons, including his only losing season at 6-7 in 2010.

Swinney is 97-15 since then, making the past four college football playoffs — Clemson's only miss was the inaugural edition after the 2014 season — and won two national titles, both over Alabama.

I was comparing 2019 salaries. Comparing salaries 10 years apart makes little sense.

You do make a point about bringing up Dabo 2009. He played in the ACC Championship his first year.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe we should have a little more sympathy for what the coaching staff is dealing with

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...h-freshmen-sophomores/FhDhelcwHRjZ1m1TbUaiaP/
Was just reading this as well, it does give hope for the future in that we are playing a ton of underclassmen with a top 25 recruiting class coming in.

Quote: The Jackets have but eight seniors available to play, a group whittled down over the years by transfers and other departures. Even since the beginning of the season, Tech has lost three seniors, all starters, to season-ending injuries – wide receiver Jalen Camp, center Kenny Cooper and offensive tackle Jahaziel Lee. The total of 11 seniors (including Camp, Cooper and Lee) is the third fewest in FBS

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Fans at all schools are terrible. Auburn fans are ready to Fire Malzahn after one loss. FSU wants to fire Taggart and Jimbo left him a mess that’s going to take a while to clean up. Whether it’s Collins or any new coach, it takes time. The OL is undersized by about fifty pounds per position on average. We have no true spread, dropback, passing QB. Collinshas a strong 2020 recruiting class. He’s proven himself as a great defensive co-ordinator so if he cab recruit, we will be fine. It will not be overnight but no fans at any school have patience.

Miami fans have set up some kind of GoFundMe thing to buy a banner calling for the firing of Manny after 5 games. Supposedly, the funding was secured in just a couple of days to be flown before the UVA game. I much prefer to be patient and see if Coach Collins all in approach to recruiting will be successful. Someone posted that this approach has been tried before and failed. It has been tried before but not to the degree that Coach Collins has invested. It might be that the recruiting obstacles are such that it will ultimately prove a failure but I for one am willing to give it a chance for no other reason than we have no choice. Maybe, Miami has the money to fire coaches on a whim but we certainly don't. Personally, I am somewhat skeptical that recruiting by itself will prove to be a game changer unless it is accompanied by the hard work of player development and recruiting the right players meaning linemen not receivers, nor running backs, nor defensive backs and certainly not anymore option style athletes pretending to be quarterbacks.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Was just reading this as well, it does give hope for the future in that we are playing a ton of underclassmen with a top 25 recruiting class coming in.

Quote: The Jackets have but eight seniors available to play, a group whittled down over the years by transfers and other departures. Even since the beginning of the season, Tech has lost three seniors, all starters, to season-ending injuries – wide receiver Jalen Camp, center Kenny Cooper and offensive tackle Jahaziel Lee. The total of 11 seniors (including Camp, Cooper and Lee) is the third fewest in FBS

The sad part is that even though we will not lose that many players off this team we can hardly afford to lose many of those. We lost just a couple of linemen from both sides of the ball and it created an immediate crisis.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

CGC coming in really didn't have an effect on the big money boosters coming in. That's what I was told by someone who talked to someone way up in administration at Tech.
We can't understate just how much damage MBob did. He did everything on the cheap (remember the air freighter with jump seats he was supposed to be in favor of for the Dublin trip)?
I did have someone high up in administration tell me two years ago that the locker room/players lounge was "(bleeping) embarrassing." And that was on MBob. You want to bring in recruits and have sofas that have stuffing coming out of them? Because that's what we had under MBob.