Article Disappointing End to a Disappointing Season

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[float_left]
georgia_vs_georgia_tech_0153_thumb.jpg
[/float_left] ATLANTA, GA – With an opportunity to end a difficult season on a fleeting high note, Georgia Tech’s performance on Saturday provided more of the same. A 13-7 loss to Georgia amidst a bevy of turnovers capped a game and a year that failed to live up to expectations.

“I think that game was a microcosm of our season,” said Head Coach Paul Johnson. “We have a hard time valuing the ball. Any time you lose the turnover battle like we have the last two or three games, you’re not going to win very many games. And we can’t seem to finish plays on offense.”

The offense left much to be desired, including opportunities for points after driving into Georgia territory. Quarterback Justin Thomas was intercepted on a 3rd and 8 from the Georgia 14-yard line in the 2nd quarter. On the Jackets’ opening drive to start the second half, wide receiver Ricky Jeune caught a first down pass at the Georgia 33-yard line only to have it ripped away.

“We had our chances,” said Johnson. “But we couldn’t finish.”

Even in seasons like this there are glimmers of light, however celebrating those feels about as good as hanging moral victories and participation awards on the wall. When asked, Johnson again pointed to the many freshmen that got experience. Brant Mitchell, Clinton Lynch, Trey Klock, Will Bryan, and A.J. Gray are among those who played significant roles at the end of the year and are expected to have even greater impacts next year.

There’s also this silver lining as it pertains to Georgia vs. Georgia Tech games. The 110th edition of Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate will not go down as an instant classic. The highlights will not be replayed repeatedly and Yellow Jackets fans will not be subject to watching any single play or two incessantly for the next 364 days.

In the end though, Johnson chose the word of the day to describe the season at large– “Disappointing.” One would be hard-pressed to find a better descriptor of a 3-win season immediately following one that ended with 3 total losses and an Orange Bowl victory.

If nothing else, at least the highest of highs and lowest of lows in Johnson’s tenure will not soon be forgotten. Even with this season’s wounds still fresh it’s appropriate to begin looking toward the future. “It’s all stuff I think we can fix,” said Johnson. “And I’m hell bent to get it fixed, I can tell you that. I’m not going to go thru this again.”

Driving the point home was running back Clinton Lynch, “We start preparation for next year on Monday.”