Didn’t see this posted but we have a new coach

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand the real difference in responsibilities between a GA, Consultant/Analyst and Coach. I get it at the high level, but how does that change what they do day-in and day-out?

So he was a GA and is now a Coach...what changes?

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand the real difference in responsibilities between a GA, Consultant/Analyst and Coach. I get it at the high level, but how does that change what they do day-in and day-out?

Coach Eley was a head coach for many years - one of his stints was at Alabama State.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Neither did Harvin until later in his career. Pooch punting is really tough. This kid is a true sophomore. Give him time.
He learned to take "normal" punting steps in a week's time. Now someone just needs to get in his ear and work with him to aim for the sideline. It's not that hard.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm a bit surprised Key didn't move Chaney to OL so he could focus more on being HC, but I'm sure coach Eley has a lot he can contribute as well.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

You're only allowed 10 "on-field" coaches per NCAA. I don't really know all the nuances of the other title's responsibilities.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I'm a bit surprised Key didn't move Chaney to OL so he could focus more on being HC, but I'm sure coach Eley has a lot he can contribute as well.
Chaney doesn’t want the stress of a bigger job. He loves being an analyst, only having to work a few days a week.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
An analyst cannot coach on the practice field. No direct coaching with players. An aside: when Fedora was at UNC they had a picture taken at a practice in the newspaper and one of his analyst was in the picture on the field with the players. They had to remove him from the staff.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully I've quit trying to analyze the hirings, there's so much I don't know that goes into each, there is no way I could have a clue, but that's just me.
At first I liked the CGC hire mainly because of his recruiting ability, but after I did a little homework I began in my mind to question the hire and of course as time went on- - don't need to go there, that's behind us. Bottom line is what do I know, very little. It all gets back to W&L every time for everyone involved it seems.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The second rohnd if hires are diing way better than the firstcround
I think eley was albama state head coach
No wonder #2 is a baller

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

Donald Hill-Eley is the father of Ace Eley. He was the head coach at Alabama State from 2017-21 and was working as an offensive analyst for us this year. An analyst cannot coach the players or be on the practice field is my understanding. So now he can get hands on with the special teams and the offense.

GA's are coaches and can supervise players and be on the field. They just don't get paid. A graduate assistant coach is a graduate student who works as an assistant coach for their college or university while working on the completion of their post-graduate education. As a graduate assistant coach, you are typically compensated with tuition credits, housing, and a stipend. Nathan Brock is a GA who is in his second season assisting Key on the oline. Brock is now supervising the OL

Lastly, defensive analyst Anthony Parker has been given a new job with the title of director of player development.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Donald Hill-Eley is the father of Ace Eley. He was the head coach at Alabama State from 2017-21 and was working as an offensive analyst for us this year. An analyst cannot coach the players or be on the practice field is my understanding. So now he can get hands on with the special teams and the offense.

GA's are coaches and can supervise players and be on the field. They just don't get paid. A graduate assistant coach is a graduate student who works as an assistant coach for their college or university while working on the completion of their post-graduate education. As a graduate assistant coach, you are typically compensated with tuition credits, housing, and a stipend. Nathan Brock is a GA who is in his second season assisting Key on the oline. Brock is now supervising the OL

Lastly, defensive analyst Anthony Parker has been given a new job with the title of director of player development.
PS, here are the over all limits:

An FBS program currently can have a head coach, ten on-field assistant coaches, four on-field graduate assistants and five strength coaches. There is no maximum for the off-field staffs allowed, which includes people like operations administrators, analysts and recruiting personnel.