Did we see the defense

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
To respond to the original question, yes I do believe Ted Roof will employ an attacking, often blitzing defense. That is in his DNA. If you were lucky enough to see him play you know he was a very aggressive linebacker that enjoyed the knockout shot. I think he will continue to build on being more and more aggressive as he gets more of his recruits and has more time to rep with the existing crew. Ted understands that the game goes to the tough guy not the finesse guy.

Go Jackets!

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
SO--If we are not seeing any Offense (while doing unit drills) then the ONLY Off they see is ours when they do scrimmage? So again the DEF has to re-acclimate to the other Offenses.
My point is -yes our Off does get an advantage when other teams play us but our DEf has a DISADVANTAGE when we only see "other" Offenses a little bit.
The hard stats tell that story in PJ tenure.Our Def has generally stunk and our Off has been a force.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
SO--If we are not seeing any Offense (while doing unit drills) then the ONLY Off they see is ours when they do scrimmage? So again the DEF has to re-acclimate to the other Offenses.
My point is -yes our Off does get an advantage when other teams play us but our DEf has a DISADVANTAGE when we only see "other" Offenses a little bit.
The hard stats tell that story in PJ tenure.Our Def has generally stunk and our Off has been a force.

Two other points to consider:
1. The "stats" could indicate that CPJs "gimmick" offense gives us an inherent advantage in that he can be successful with 3 star recruits (the best that we seemed to do).
The defense, where we have no "gimmick" advantage, over a long period of time under several DCs cannot be as successful with 3 star recruits.
2. During practice during the season it is most likely that less than 25% of practice time (probably much less) is devoted to 11 on 11 scrimmage. Some of that is tuning the goal line and two minute offense. The remainder is more likely to be the scout team 11 mimmicking the opposition's formations, tendencies, and plays against our defense. Hardly none of this has anything to do with the kind of offense we run being detrimental to our defensive performance.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will say the team stopped the run very well.

The team struggled in pass defense.

This could be a coincidence to our run heavy offense.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I will say the team stopped the run very well.

The team struggled in pass defense.

This could be a coincidence to our run heavy offense.

The run can be stopped with numbers and good coaching. Numbers in the box can hurt your pass defense. It is a decision of priority by the DC. CPJ has stated that stopping the run is first priority. To stop the pass requires a pass rush (better than 3 star recruits) and exceptional cover athletes (better than 3 star recruits). The mismatch of athletic talent was apparent in the Clemson game where the Tiger QB had time to make perfect passes and our defenders were out run and out "athleticed" by the receivers. I will concede that our run happy offense has some detriment to our defense but the primary problem is the deference in talent from our recruiting.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The run can be stopped with numbers and good coaching. Numbers in the box can hurt your pass defense. It is a decision of priority by the DC. CPJ has stated that stopping the run is first priority. To stop the pass requires a pass rush (better than 3 star recruits) and exceptional cover athletes (better than 3 star recruits). The mismatch of athletic talent was apparent in the Clemson game where the Tiger QB had time to make perfect passes and our defenders were out run and out "athleticed" by the receivers. I will concede that our run happy offense has some detriment to our defense but the primary problem is the deference in talent from our recruiting.
Tenuta got top 20ish results from pretty much the same level of talent (recruiting rankings wise).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I loved Tenuta's defensive aggressiveness. The only problem with his defense was he had no answer for the "dink and dunk" passing game. BC,ND, UGa, etc. ate us up with the short passing game.
Matt Ryan ate our lunch. I remember Tunuta's D shutting the mutts down though....
Edit...Disregard....looks like someone posted same long before me...note to self...read all pages b4 posting :D

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The offense we run does limit recruiting but if we run an aggressive defense it should help recruiting - and sort out the defensive backs that can't cover - or can cover which will put gt kids on highlites for espn. The amount of holding that is allowed is increasing so the 4 2 5 will still allow some trickery with see drop in to short coverage and lb blitz I think we will see lots of cb blitzes. The strength of the triple option is that it wears out the DL and lb who get hit and run to pursue for longer and further on every none Bb play that is stopped - 4th quarter they are a step slower and coach should have spotted some weaknesses .
To play to the strength the time defense is on field in FIRST half should and blitz is best way till we can recruit players and coach up players to "make espn worthy plays" .

I am optimistic we have the tools in place with roof, strong Bb position, some qb talent that likes to run, speed at db, and a head coach that knows it is time to show his system deserves another 3 years. We must beat at least 2 of the big 4 and be close in the other.
Unless we have been kidding ourselves about talent this spring , we could let subs play early and improve each game
, see some espn plays late season, and be very good for THWG, and look good in better bowl. Beating FSU never entered my mind.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I loved Tenuta's defensive aggressiveness. The only problem with his defense was he had no answer for the "dink and dunk" passing game. BC,ND, UGa, etc. ate us up with the short passing game.
Yep it was feast or famine with JT.......at least it was agressive yet good qbs screened us to death .We had little coverage in the defensive backfield it seems.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
What we saw in the spring game is NOT what we will be running during the season, I can assure you. Might we blitz more in 2014? Very possible. Will we have 8 guys within a yard of the LOS with their ears pinned back nearly every play? Absolutely not. That will be suicide against other offenses. I am all for aggression and using a blitz happy scheme, but what we saw on Friday night was designed for our offense in particular. It will not be representative of the type D we call our "base" against the league.
Just give me four big uns who can play the run and have a decent pass rush.Probably have togo with a linebacker blitz but if we get pressure we can do some good good things this year...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
To respond to the original question, yes I do believe Ted Roof will employ an attacking, often blitzing defense. That is in his DNA. If you were lucky enough to see him play you know he was a very aggressive linebacker that enjoyed the knockout shot. I think he will continue to build on being more and more aggressive as he gets more of his recruits and has more time to rep with the existing crew. Ted understands that the game goes to the tough guy not the finesse guy.

Go Jackets!

I agree. What we have been missing are a few big plays from the pass rushers in possession down situations. Roof seems to have a plan to move us in the right direction.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Even if you give up a play or two because of the blitz along the way, quite often, the best way to get a drive stopped is to force a negative play with a TFL, false start, or a holding call. Those things all happen way more often when a defense is pressing the action. Sitting back and playing catch is a good strategy if you are physically superior, but I don't think we will find ourselves in that situation for more than about a third of our games. It will be pretty hard for us to get good teams stopped with 3 consecutive positive yardage plays.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Man fall can't get here quick enough for me. Looking forward to seeing what the guys next year can do. I think we may have four guys contribute at DE. Hopefully DE by committee will equal or better last years production. Hope springs eternal. Days athletic ability should suit him well for the position I would think. Could have, hopefully will have, a break out year there. Real glad we have Roof back. Great player, great Tech man, and great coach IMO. Go Jackets!

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you on Roof.He understands the system at Tech and is a motivator which is so much needed as a DC.I would love to see a super agresssive defense this year with bringing everything but the kitchen sink since a loss on offense side certainly helps us out.For the sixth stright year or so I have been saying that if,and its a unknown if,we play decent football on defense we will win at least one more game per year.We score on offense without too much trouble and then we turn it over to defense.If we get two extra stops a game ...........that would be great record wise and fan appreciation wise.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Thought this was a cool video of a VT blitz out of the 4-2-5

Man has football made changes......in my day of playing and coaching we never had any idea that a defensive end could cover passes...........Erk did it with the wide tackle six but most folks in my day used DE as a run stopper and pass rusher.Guys sure stay up nights figuring our how to mess up a offense now.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Man has football made changes......in my day of playing and coaching we never had any idea that a defensive end could cover passes...........Erk did it with the wide tackle six but most folks in my day used DE as a run stopper and pass rusher.Guys sure stay up nights figuring our how to mess up a offense now.

It would work with either Days or Stargel. and any of the new guys coming in as freshman.