Did we see the defense

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
that we will be running in the fall? I thought at first that Ted was just doing all that blitzing to prepare the offense to handle what some teams have been throwing at us. But upon further review of the spring game, it occurs to me that may be what we run. If we start with the premise that Roof knows more about the players than we do (and I know that sounds pretty far-fetched, but stay with me), then he knows that both DE positions have the least experience and depth of any place on the D. That won't change substantially when Whitehead shows up, but should improve by the end of the year. Meantime, you feel better about what we have in depth and talent on the DL, LB, and DB. How you gonna protect the DE's and pass rush; you gotta blitz. When you blitz, it helps to have a 5th db. Make the nickel your base D and channel your inner Tenuta. Either bring Marcordes off the edge, or send Nealy up the middle. EVERY PLAY! Nealy is good in coverage, send him on rushing downs. Marcordes has the size to be a run stuffer, blitz him on passing downs. I want to be Blitz U again. Don't let the basturd breathe. If the other team scores, it doesn't mean we shouldn't blitz, it just means we should send more people next time. This post will automatically delete if I'm wrong.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
that we will be running in the fall? I thought at first that Ted was just doing all that blitzing to prepare the offense to handle what some teams have been throwing at us. But upon further review of the spring game, it occurs to me that may be what we run. If we start with the premise that Roof knows more about the players than we do (and I know that sounds pretty far-fetched, but stay with me), then he knows that both DE positions have the least experience and depth of any place on the D. That won't change substantially when Whitehead shows up, but should improve by the end of the year. Meantime, you feel better about what we have in depth and talent on the DL, LB, and DB. How you gonna protect the DE's and pass rush; you gotta blitz. When you blitz, it helps to have a 5th db. Make the nickel your base D and channel your inner Tenuta. Either bring Marcordes off the edge, or send Nealy up the middle. EVERY PLAY! Nealy is good in coverage, send him on rushing downs. Marcordes has the size to be a run stuffer, blitz him on passing downs. I want to be Blitz U again. Don't let the basturd breathe. If the other team scores, it doesn't mean we shouldn't blitz, it just means we should send more people next time. This post will automatically delete if I'm wrong.
I loved Tenuta's defensive aggressiveness. The only problem with his defense was he had no answer for the "dink and dunk" passing game. BC,ND, UGa, etc. ate us up with the short passing game.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I loved Tenuta's defensive aggressiveness. The only problem with his defense was he had no answer for the "dink and dunk" passing game. BC,ND, UGa, etc. ate us up with the short passing game.
We killed Ugag most years with his defense. Held some of their best teams to less than 2 TD's, well under their average. ND didn't do squat against his defense; they scored 2 TD's the first time at home and then less than that at their place. BC didn't light up the scoreboard either. Everybody talks about that game but they only scored 24 points. With our current offense we win every game listed above.

Now there were some stinkers, but those weren't them. Every DC has some stinkers, including Bud Foster and Nick Saban.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Again, we kept them out of the end-zone (that's the purpose, I know), but they still marched up and down the field, at will. Obviously, as the field shortens, it's harder to stretch it, so the "dink and dunk" becomes less effective. There was a lot of bend-don't-break philosophy there. When we needed to get a stop and get our offense back on the field, we struggled.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Tenuta's blitzkrieg. I'd take that defense again in a heartbeat. But we did struggle against the good short passing game.

Declinometer

Banned
See Gus Bradley's defense. The architect of the Seahawks defense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In the Spring game, I think we saw the base that Roof wants to run with the personnel we have. In any game, you maximize your strengths and minimize your weaknesses. I am much more comfortable with getting the quick stop or giving up the big play given our offense than any other defense. Anything that maximizes the time our offense has the ball is good for us with the ball control running game. Sure we will break big plays with our O, but it can be run to slowly grind the opposition into despair.

I agree with the blitz (and guess) on every play if you don't have the number of DL studs. Tenuta made it work and I think Roof is as good as or better than Tenuta. Time will tell.

But when we play the really talented teams (top 10 without naming names), we will suffer because they have good schemes and can execute better. BUt the blitz scheme helps us neutralize our physical talent limitations on D.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What we saw in the spring game is NOT what we will be running during the season, I can assure you. Might we blitz more in 2014? Very possible. Will we have 8 guys within a yard of the LOS with their ears pinned back nearly every play? Absolutely not. That will be suicide against other offenses. I am all for aggression and using a blitz happy scheme, but what we saw on Friday night was designed for our offense in particular. It will not be representative of the type D we call our "base" against the league.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
When I saw a 4-4-3 alignment at one point I about fell out! Utilizing a 4-2-5 base give so many options on how you set the formation and is uniquely flexible. You do have to have 2 pretty dang good linebackers and a hybrid that can play in run support but it gives a DC so many options without wholesale personnel changes. I am really looking forward to seeing it in the regular season,

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What we saw in the spring game is NOT what we will be running during the season, I can assure you. Might we blitz more in 2014? Very possible. Will we have 8 guys within a yard of the LOS with their ears pinned back nearly every play? Absolutely not. That will be suicide against other offenses. I am all for aggression and using a blitz happy scheme, but what we saw on Friday night was designed for our offense in particular. It will not be representative of the type D we call our "base" against the league.

What about 4 with their ears pinned back, 4 who drop off into coverage and 3 deep? But 8 who appear ready to blitz at the snap. Similar to what Baltimore Ravens do?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
most of the stuff roof ran was not our d you will typically see. This is one reason why I maintain practicing against the 3-0 does have its weaknesses for a D. These guys ran a scheme and sets they will rarely if ever use during the season to mimic VT, Miami etc. I know some don't think it matters...

With that said. I absolutely saw some base stuff we will run during the year. AND with Jabari at WDE and used to playing LB, I saw him do some zone stuff that I think roof will use. So I do think we will see more zone pressure due to the ? at DE....just a thought.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
most of the stuff roof ran was not our d you will typically see. This is one reason why I maintain practicing against the 3-0 does have its weaknesses for a D. These guys ran a scheme and sets they will rarely if ever use during the season to mimic VT, Miami etc. I know some don't think it matters...

With that said. I absolutely saw some base stuff we will run during the year. AND with Jabari at WDE and used to playing LB, I saw him do some zone stuff that I think roof will use. So I do think we will see more zone pressure due to the ? at DE....just a thought.
I have thought the same thing about being a detriment to the defense. But, Roof actually makes the best point I've heard about it in defending having to practice against this offense. He says STTE, "What is a conventional offense now? You see a whole different offense every week in college football, and a lot of offenses now incorporate option based stuff. You're not seeing a TE and FB every week or 4 WR every week, you're seeing totally different philosophies and sets every week. So, practicing against our offense is going to be like practicing against any offense - it's never going to be what you see the most of during the season. It's good in that it teaches your defense to be disciplined and physical and to defeat blocks."

I still think it has to hurt our pass defense to some extent.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have thought the same thing about being a detriment to the defense. But, Roof actually makes the best point I've heard about it in defending having to practice against this offense. He says STTE, "What is a conventional offense now? You see a whole different offense every week in college football, and a lot of offenses now incorporate option based stuff. You're not seeing a TE and FB every week or 4 WR every week, you're seeing totally different philosophies and sets every week. So, practicing against our offense is going to be like practicing against any offense - it's never going to be what you see the most of during the season. It's good in that it teaches your defense to be disciplined and physical and to defeat blocks."

I still think it has to hurt our pass defense to some extent.
I agree and furthermore, we don't practice against our O once the season starts, then it's all scout team prep. (Except the week prior to Ga Southern. ;))

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree and furthermore, we don't practice against our O once the season starts, then it's all scout team prep. (Except the week prior to Ga Southern. ;))

cheese...scout team reps way slower than active spring ball reps. I know schematically the scout gives you those looks...but trust me its not true flying bullets....and that makes a big difference in reading/reacting etc.

Again, there are sure some positives to going against our system. But I see negatives too...and I do think they affect us. Of course maybe the positive ones affect us too to balance it out

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
cheese...scout team reps way slower than active spring ball reps. I know schematically the scout gives you those looks...but trust me its not true flying bullets....and that makes a big difference in reading/reacting etc.

Again, there are sure some positives to going against our system. But I see negatives too...and I do think they affect us. Of course maybe the positive ones affect us too to balance it out
I agree, but that's not the purpose of a scout team. The scout team's job is to give the defense a look at the schemes and formations, not game speed. (I'm not pulling this out of my ***, I've heard CPJ say the exact same thing in interviews/coach's shows.) Nobody's scout O is as fast and as good as their starting O, not even Bama. (Now I did pull that out of my ***, but I believe it. :))

Maybe the quality of our backup qb's and wr's might be better if we ran another O, I dunno.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but that's not the purpose of a scout team. The scout team's job is to give the defense a look at the schemes and formations, not game speed. (I'm not pulling this out of my ***, I've heard CPJ say the exact same thing in interviews/coach's shows.) Nobody's scout O is as fast and as good as their starting O, not even Bama. (Now I did pull that out of my ***, but I believe it. :))

Maybe the quality of our scout team qb's and wr's might be better if we ran another O, I dunno.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree completely. I feel what we saw is how most of us would defend our offense based on the success of vt and our lack of success through the air. It will help our offense greatly as a result.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

lmbo! nice!