Did Tulane let the US Flag touch the ground at opening?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Sorry if this has been discussed, I am just getting back from Europe (been gone for 2 weeks with the GF so no football or blogs for me) and am watching the games. Saw the Tulane opening had a guy parachute in the flag, but it looks like when he landed he drug it across the field for a few seconds. Did that actually happen?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
It certainly did, I commented on it too. when it was happening. It was weird the flag was strapped to his legs instead of his shoulders. It's actually okay though, I looked it up. From Wiki

The flag should never touch anything beneath it. Contrary to an urban legend, the flag code does not state that a flag that touches the ground should be burned. Instead, it is considered disrespectful to the flag and the flag in question should be moved in such a manner so it is not touching the ground.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the skydiver was military or former military. As soon as he landed with the flag dragging through the carpet (does artificial turf count as the ground?), someone from the sideline rushed in and grabbed it up. The skydiver just seemed clueless.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah, I was just curious if anyone else noticed. It was surprising to me that they had it strapped on to the guy's leg.

Just commenting that I thought it was abnormal.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member