did professional sports in ATL damage GEORGIA TECH?

snocap1

Georgia Tech Fan
did professional sports in ATL damage GEORGIA TECH?

We all know GEORGIA TECH has a storied tradition, but is it true that when the braves and falcons came to Atlanta that did damage to Georgia tech as a brand? my father and grandfather used to tell me Georgia tech used to be the only game in town. if so why did professional sports in the same manner not hurt uga, but only seemed to make them stronger?

thanks,

Lenny Land

go jackets

gtfan3

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes it did I think before 1970 techs fan base was a big sec type fan base and it hurt us. Along with the 1970s which was an awful decade and half the 1980s really hurt us and we haven't recovered fully.

Tech First

Jolly Good Fellow
gtfan3 said:
Yes it did I think before 1970 techs fan base was a big sec type fan base and it hurt us. Along with the 1970s which was an awful decade and half the 1980s really hurt us and we haven't recovered fully.

This is all true along with getting out of the SEC.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
it may have indirectly hurt in some manner.... but with the current status of the city and our program one would think that Atlanta and its pro teams would only aid GT in recruiting (selling the city to a recruit). There is a hell lot more to do in Atlanta than there is in athens.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Even with Athens bar scene it's in no way shape or form Atlanta GA. With that said Athens is a college town so it has a different advantage than Atlanta which is a Metropolis.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
i'm well aware that the "bar scene" in athens is a big draw. i was simply trying to say that the plethora of options in Atlanta as far as activities in general is more vast a selection. especially in regards to the above post. you can't drive one mile in athens like you can in Atlanta and be at the georgia dome, turner field, phillips arena, etc... Not to mention the other non sport related draws that Atlanta provides that athens cannot. just sayin....

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
^exactly. The best thing tech can do is start offering "hot ***** scholarships". More tail on campus. The more recruits start sticking around, and the less I have to see Jemea Thomas ***** about it on twitter. It's a win win win by all parties involved