Did Coach Johnson compare Byerly to Nesbitt?

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
and if JT ends up starting over TB, that must be saying a lot also. I would have always thought that CPJ would prefer someone with the skill sets of TB over JT, so he must see something in JT he really likes to start him over TB (ie. ungodly speed).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ clearly said that Byerly was similar to JN the first two years. I don't care who starts but hope to see both play a lot.

CPJ's expected goals are mostly realistic - win Coastal, win a bowl and beat UGAg. A big part of it will be injuries. I think only playing on Saturdays will get us into a much better groove. But with so many new starters, no one can say for sure what we are going to have.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
PJ said Byerly is probably a better passer than Nesbitt. He also said JT will start camp as the No. 1 but he is high on Byerly, IIRC.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I feel that Jt and Byerly will have advantages against different opponents. Like fundamental teams with less speed like Duke and Vt, Jt would probably be more successful. And teams with more speed but less discipline, like miami uga Byerly would be more consistent. If Byerly can wear those defenses down some and we could put Jt with a fresh set of legs in, in the 3rd quarter we could blow it open.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I feel that Jt and Byerly will have advantages against different opponents. Like fundamental teams with less speed like Duke and Vt, Jt would probably be more successful. And teams with more speed but less discipline, like miami uga Byerly would be more consistent. If Byerly can wear those defenses down some and we could put Jt with a fresh set of legs in, in the 3rd quarter we could blow it open.

Video (fast forward to 03:11:00) - http://new.livestream.com/ACCDN/events/3195773

Transcript - http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-footbl/14kickoff-coach-GT.pdf

texasjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
and if JT ends up starting over TB, that must be saying a lot also. I would have always thought that CPJ would prefer someone with the skill sets of TB over JT, so he must see something in JT he really likes to start him over TB (ie. ungodly speed).
At this point, it is probably actually playing experience. I could see TB taking over after he gets some more playing time under his belt.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Good analogy, Byerly is tough, makes good decisions, and throws it well. JT may have the home run ability, but TB is perfect for this offense. "Byerly passed for 2,664 yards and 30 touchdowns, and rushed for 1,509 yards and 21 touchdowns" for Chattahoochee HS his senior year and was all classification POY in Georgia. Been a fan of his abilities for this offense since he was a HS senior. http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/high-school/chattahoochee-qb-top-hs-player/nQpBZ/