Diamond Formation

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
For anyone that wants to get some insight about the diamond formation, be sure to check out CPJ's radio show from tonight. Starts at about the 10 minute mark.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Our diamond plays:
Sweep-
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 9

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
this schematic doesn't show the pulling guard. I'm assuming it's the strong-side guard that pulls since Shaq is the RG and he seemed to be leading the way when they went right.
You have it backwards. Shaq pulled on the sweep left and Jackson pulled on the sweep right. Pulling guards cross behind the center and lead block on the opposite side from where they line up.

What's really cool about this is it's power running with 3 lead blockers. If the defense cheats to playside, the qb can keep and dive the middle or reverse field and go bootleg the other way.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the weak-side guard is pulling, then that guard's got to be very fast to get in front of the wave and to get out of the way of the QB dive. I guess with the guard pulling, one of the linebackers (presumably the WLB) is left uncovered? I haven't gone back to the film to see how this all played out. It did look effective against Duke, but I think it will need to be more fluid (less clunky) for it to work against bigger DL's.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
You have it backwards. Shaq pulled on the sweep left and Jackson pulled on the sweep right. Pulling guards cross behind the center and lead block on the opposite side from where they line up.

What's really cool about this is it's power running with 3 lead blockers. If the defense cheats to playside, the qb can keep and dive the middle or reverse field and go bootleg the other way.

Exactly

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
For those that remember... CPJ has done what he said he would. Tailor his offense around the strengths of his QB skill set. Vad says it himself, he is more comfortable with the reads out of the pistol. CPJ just upgraded our recruiting by doing this as well IMO.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
thanks. Now that I see the video, I remember the cut block by Shaq that took the safety out the play by Robbie. Very effective, but I would have loved to see Shaq absolutely demolish the safety. Can you image being that safety? I'd love to see Chancellor hand Shaq in that situation.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It is the weak side guard that pulls. Watch the first play from these highlights. 13 second mark.

Shaq cut that safety bad. I think it would've been funnier to seem him drive block him, low to high. The poor kid would've flown for 5 yards.