Diamond Formation

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Do you anticipate seeing any diamond formation Saturday? Over the last couple of years GSU has used it extensively, but mostly run option plays from it. In contrast to us, they don't use much pistol. I knew we had worked on diamond formation during spring and fall practice, but I'm excited to see it worked in to game plans. Just another dimension!

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Not sure if we'll see it Saturday or not but I'm sure we'll see it this year.

The biggest difference to me is that the QB is not under center so maybe if our guards are having trouble with the DTs, we'll go diamond to give the QB and BB some room to work.

But at the end of the day, I don't think it will become a staple formation any time soon.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
How many seasons did we practice the shotgun in spring and then not actually do much with it during the fall?

Cause this year is going to be that way with the diamond.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
How many seasons did we practice the shotgun in spring and then not actually do much with it during the fall?

Cause this year is going to be that way with the diamond.

I hear you. The only thing that makes me think it might be different with the diamond is that we can run a variety of option plays from it that take better advantage of shot gun depth. I think that running plays that we had out of the gun were not as good as the comparable plays from under center. However, the diamond lets us build option concepts that capitalize on the qb depth.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What's the difference between:

a) shot gun
b) pistol
c) diamond

What advantages/disadvantages are offered by each and which fits our personnel the best? Why and when to use them instead of under center formation? Calling all option geeks and gurus.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Diamond:
images

Pistol:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think people use "pistol" for when the QB depth is not as great as shotgun and when there's still an RB behind him. I think CPJ just call them all gun or shotgun.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Really like what I seen from this formation. I expect to see more of this as the season continues. The B-Backs seemed to hit the hole a lot harder from the up position. Just IMO

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The Diamond or Pistol Full House as some call it, was deadly yesterday. The read option to the outside was actually an inverted veer. It was very effective. It also appeared that it opened up the passing lanes more as well in comparison to flexbone passing JMO. I was impressed with how much we used it yesterday. It seemed like we used it close to 50 or 60 percent of our offensive play calling. I personally loved it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I really enjoyed the diamond and other formation variations we used vs Duke.

Can't wait to hear the quotes from the remaining DC's on our schedule about what they're gonna prep for before our game.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I like having multiple looks and new wrinkles on the offense for sure. Running the sweeps out of the diamond really helped us out blocking-wise. Duke's defense played us a lot like FSU did last year. They backed up their middle linebacker from the line of scrimmage deeper than usual. Our lineman couldn't get to him fast enough from the interior, and he was meeting us at the edge unblocked on the first couple of drives. Switching to the diamond and running that power sweep gave us an extra blocker on the edge and took care of that. It looked like we were also pulling a lineman on that play too.

I think CPJ will put us in the diamond if it gives us the best chance to succeed. I am a fan of our new looks, but I won't complain if there are a few games that we don't run out of that formation as much as we did against Duke.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
It looked like we were also pulling a lineman on that play too.

We are. It is a guard that kicks out. This play is somewhat of a mix between an off tackle, guard pull, and read option combined. Except on this particular play the read is inverted. If the DE crashes then Vad gives to the sweeping a-back. If the DE stays home then Vad keeps up the middle. Thus making it inverted.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for that IronJacket7. I thought we were pulling a guard on that, but I was afraid that I might be getting that play mixed up with another. I enjoy learning about our offense. I'm also impressed with CPJ's ability to find and exploit mismatches.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for that IronJacket7. I thought we were pulling a guard on that, but I was afraid that I might be getting that play mixed up with another. I enjoy learning about our offense. I'm also impressed with CPJ's ability to find and exploit mismatches.

You gotta believe that when Shaq Mason is coming at you with a full head of steam its scary to say the least.