Devoe and Ush at the Portsmouth Invitational

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I watched what I could of the games Devoe played. He was really good at the P.I.T. and was named MVP. At the G League Elite Camp not so good through day 2. I think he needs a break out day.

It is my guess right now that both of these guys will go undrafted and need private workouts to get on a G League team. Ush doesn't look like he has much of a chance right now. There are a ton of 6-7 guys who can dunk.

Devoe might get some interest due to his ability to rain 3s in clusters. He is a smart player and the Portsmouth MVP award turned some heads.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I watched what I could of the games Devoe played. He was really good at the P.I.T. and was named MVP. At the G League Elite Camp not so good through day 2. I think he needs a break out day.

It is my guess right now that both of these guys will go undrafted and need private workouts to get on a G League team. Ush doesn't look like he has much of a chance right now. There are a ton of 6-7 guys who can dunk.

Devoe might get some interest due to his ability to rain 3s in clusters. He is a smart player and the Portsmouth MVP award turned some heads.

There's not many who are smart, competitive, and who can/will defend multiple positions.

Don't sell him short. There's guys who fit his profile who end up contributing on every team in that league. He's got as good a chance as any, no-homer.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There's not many who are smart, competitive, and who can/will defend multiple positions.

Don't sell him short. There's guys who fit his profile who end up contributing on every team in that league. He's got as good a chance as any, no-homer.

I actually think Usher has a higher NBA ceiling because of what you pointed out. He's a big frame wing who can defend multiple positions, has high level athleticism to help defend but also create shots. He's got a good shot, and has ability to play off the dribble. He's also unselfish and does a LOT of things you don't see on the boxscore. The NBA game is more wide open, and I don't think Pastner's system helped Usher showcase his game...but that's just the kind of player Usher was for us, and that's what's going to help him in an NBA camp, which he will most definitely get invited to.

It's not all about offense in the NBA...Alvarado is a good example of that. Defend the length of the floor, be a pest, and hit the shots you get. You just have to find a role on your team and play that role well. Mario West is another example of a guy who found his niche in the NBA that wasn't drafted.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I think being undrafted will serve Jordan well. That would give him (and his agent) a chance to determine which team he thinks is the best fit for his strengths and then bust his *** to make the squad (or G League affiliate) on a make good contract. It's happened a lot and I agree with @Techster that his combination of physical ability and effort could see him as contributor on an NBA roster for several years. At worst, he makes a nice living in G League, 10 day contracts or playing overseas. Hard work has paid off for him and I'm thrilled for him

My gut says Devoe will be in the G League or in Europe for several years. His primary skill is desirable in today's NBA, but he has too many deficiencies that are hard to overcome. He doesn't have a good handle and is not a good passer. His on-ball defense is horrific and he isn't an aware help side defender. At the end of the day, he's a nice spot up shooter but his lack of lateral mobility and speed means he can't be a 3 & D guy because he doesn't have the D.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Ush signs w/ Besiktas of the Turkish Basketball Super League! Kind of annoyed their social snagged a photo of him in a USC jersey but such is life as a Georgia Tech fan :cautious:

On cursory Google, it looks like TBSL players make $250-$500k/yr? That's fantastic if so, and he gets to eat some great food while he plays.