Devine against Clemson?

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
May have missed this, but I didn't see the big guy much against Clemson...was he hurt of something else? (Or maybe he was in there more then I thought?)

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I've been waiting to hear this discussion. I don't think he played. CPJ said we really struggled with the quickness of Clemson's D line. Maybe that's why he didn't play.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
No idea if he was hurt, but it may have had to do with their DT quickness, as Dustman said.

CPJ was saying in the postgame presser that we had trouble "cutting off" the backside defensive tackles. So, if we were running to the right, the DT on our left was able to fight his way across the offensive line and get to the BB or QB. That's probably one of the most frustrating things to see as an offensive coach.

Usually, our blocking scheme will look something like this:

...............................E...........DT.......DT....E....................................
WR..........................LT...LG...C...RG...RT..................................WR

So, say we're running an option to the right side. The LG is required to "scoop" the DT located between himself and the center. That's a tough block, because the guy's already closer to the play than you. So you have to be quicker than him, get across his body, and probably cut him.

You want a quicker guard. Devine's really quick for his size, but he's not at Braun's level.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They were double teaming the LG side DT with the center and LG. If you double team, why not play Devine.

We run a lot behind Shaq and this was a nice setup to make it hard on Shaq.

We also had some blocking assignment issues on a few plays. I think the 5 man front and 2 LB causes assignment issues at times. You cannot let the DT, the DE, and the OLB go free in a 5 man front.

They were double teaming the LG side DT with the center and LG. If you double team, why not play Devine.

We run a lot behind Shaq and this was a nice setup to make it hard on Shaq.

We also had some blocking assignment issues on a few plays. I think the 5 man front and 2 LB causes assignment issues at times. You cannot let the DT, the DE, and the OLB go free in a 5 man front.
I gather you made it safely to your final destination. Looks like you are up awful late though. Fun sitting with you Saturday :)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I noticed this too and, if Devine isn't hurt, I think the explanation might be even simpler then already suggested. Devine just started to play regularly in the last three games. This was a game against a very talented, quick, and experienced DL. If ever we had a game where you would want to maximize experience on the OL, this was it. Braun is a two year starter and, as a consequence, a much better bet to not make mistakes. And, sure enough, we didn't make any mistakes to speak of, nor did Clemson. That stray false start can make a lot of difference in a really close game. I don't think Coach thought it was worth the chance, given that the OL was performing pretty well after the half.

Devine will get plenty of snaps against Ugag, I'm betting. Different situation with their DL.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
we had trouble because we tried to cut the backside. This has ALWAYS been a flaw with this scheme vs good DT's that are active. If you ask the OG to drive and seal him, or at least pop him its not as big an issue. We try to cut and whiffed almost every time.

I do believe we adjusted though. We stopped trying to cut the backside in the 2nd half IIRC.

IMO Devine should have gotten snaps, especially in the 2nd half when we were ahead a few possessions.

May be a good question for the coaches show next week. How do you know what that kid can do if you don't give him a shot. I can tell you, GT doesn't have DT's like clemson and it would have been good film for him