Developing our higher rated recruits.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone knows we do more with less, but does anyone else think we do less with more on offense? I hate to say this, but it almost scared me that we ran Graham out their against uga for 3 straight screen passes.

Question is... how vital is it that when we recruit "above our weight class" that we send these kids to the nfl? What 4 star player wants to come to tech to see his skills reduced rather than flourish because of other great players around him. I love our guys, but we are sending many guys other than Olinemen and Dlinemen to the pros, and if we do its usually via undrafted free agency.

Just saying, how much weight would you put on other recruits seeing 4 star players coming to tech and going undrafted or rounds 5-7, when other schools regularly put 4 star players in rounds 1-3. You know kids look at that. Any decent athlete, 3 star or better is thinking NFL right out of high school.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I'm not referring to Graham, but historically, I think a lot of our 'higher rated' recruits have been kids who've fallen to us because maybe they were a little overrated, and didn't actually have all the big offers alleged by the end of the process. I wonder if that is a factor. By contrast, almost everytime an underrated recruit gets swiped by a factory at the last minute, they turn out to be an NFL draft pick.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Most of our higher rated guys (4* on Rivals) have been on DL interestingly enough: JC Lanier, Denzel McCoy, Anthony Williams, Francis Kallon, Jabari Hunt-Days (was a 4* LB but he converted to DL after freshman year), Jordan Woods. I don't think it is a coincidence, I think terrible position coaches stunted their development and hurt their NFL chances.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Most of our higher rated guys (4* on Rivals) have been on DL interestingly enough: JC Lanier, Denzel McCoy, Anthony Williams, Francis Kallon, Jabari Hunt-Days (was a 4* LB but he converted to DL after freshman year), Jordan Woods. I don't think it is a coincidence, I think terrible position coaches stunted their development and hurt their NFL chances.

I just feel sending players to the NFL brings recruits. Look at the secondary. We seem to send guys to the nfl via the secondary. Now we have an uptick in recruiting there.

I feel if graham and jaylon don't go to the nfl we may have more trouble recruiting. We have to get guys to the nfl, and have those guys contact these kids telling them how successful their path was.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm not referring to Graham, but historically, I think a lot of our 'higher rated' recruits have been kids who've fallen to us because maybe they were a little overrated, and didn't actually have all the big offers alleged by the end of the process. I wonder if that is a factor. By contrast, almost everytime an underrated recruit gets swiped by a factory at the last minute, they turn out to be an NFL draft pick.
Both Graham & JT were decommits.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm not sure about that. JC Lanier was playing the nose in the Al Groh 3-4 and did not have good measurable stats, Denzel McCoy was a permanent medical retirement, Anthony Williams was kicked off the team, Francis Kallon had 4 stars based on "potential", JHD was a beast at LB, then lost academic eligibility, came back as a DT, then quit the team after a two game suspension, and Jordan Woods left after his freshman year where he redshirted. With the exception of Williams and Kallon, I'm not sure when the development could have occurred.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Another big factor that doesn't consistently get discussed is that talented kids want to play with other talented kids. Many of these recruits lost that as a factor. I think if we can get a few "lynchpin" that makes his want to follow them here it could make a world of difference, whether they go to the NFL or not.

Deleted member 2897

I did a ten-year analysis a couple years ago, and Georgia tech put the same percentage of four star players into the NFL that Alabama did. Our numbers took a hit 2 years ago when JT and Shamire didn’t make it. Alabama obviously puts a lot more in total into the NFL...

After watching our D-lineman get handled and that picture of Qua, I am really questioning our strength and conditioning. When an 18 year old goes to college and hits the weights and the track, they should get bigger stronger and faster. You might not grow taller but you can get stronger and faster. I did it in college and after while playing Rugby for 10 years.

Thoughts

bfunk16

Georgia Tech Fan
Another big factor that doesn't consistently get discussed is that talented kids want to play with other talented kids. Many of these recruits lost that as a factor. I think if we can get a few "lynchpin" that makes his want to follow them here it could make a world of difference, whether they go to the NFL or not.

IIRC, Dwyer and Nesbitt were a package deal. Just need more of these and we will be good to go!;)

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
IIRC, Dwyer and Nesbitt were a package deal. Just need more of these and we will be good to go!;)
Attoachu and Freeman or Saint Amour

Attoachu was a force and at 265 was a tad small but his speed and strength got him into the NFL

I thought Freeman and Saint Amour would,vafter 4 year look like a carbon copy of Attoachu, but physical there seemed not to be that incremental gain to have the power, size and experience to easily make the pros ...

I know Freeman was picked up and I hope Saint Amour will be, but from Freeman to senniors they had the opportunity to be dominating like Jerry so why did not that happen...

MarineBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
How about developing all of our recruits. Support their continued development of their full potential in their sport and on their field of study.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
COTPWaRWoAAH5nT.jpg

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Where was this picture taken? GT should purchase ad with similar along with GT alum avg earnings and post on every major SE high school football stadium ad space, interstate billboards , etc. Think it would be pretty cost effective recruiting tool.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The sign makes the point, only a minuscule number of football players will ever achieve making it to the League. Tech is probably traditionally rated as one of 3o to 40 top programs in college football. If you did a long term trend analysis, you most likely would find that our success in placing players in the League is about in line with our performance on the field.

Recruiting is a crap shoot. If you get 1 or 2 guys out of the 20 or so you recruit that are truly star players (difference makers) you are lucky. I don't care who your coach is or what your strategy is, recruiting is not an exact science. Tech will always be challenged due to it's higher focus on academic requirements. Unfortunately, a lot of smart people are not interested in playing football. Factory schools have a built in advantage in that they can accept most anyone that can breath and keep them eligible.

Go Jackets!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting is a crap shoot. If you get 1 or 2 guys out of the 20 or so you recruit that are truly star players (difference makers) you are lucky. I don't care who your coach is or what your strategy is, recruiting is not an exact science. Tech will always be challenged due to it's higher focus on academic requirements. Unfortunately, a lot of smart people are not interested in playing football. Factory schools have a built in advantage in that they can accept most anyone that can breath and keep them eligible.

Go Jackets!
Agree with this you can pick any college any year and after 4 years and 40 % would be a high number of players still on the roster. I would bet most are under 40% but I'm too lazy to look it up.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'm just saying I feel we don't send many guys to the pros anymore. We are lightyears away from t Miami, bama, uga,Clemson. Kids go there because they know they may get drafted just from starting on a good team. Take Vic Beasley for the falcons. He had an amazing team around him. Snuck into the top 15 in picks and now is exposed. Happens all the time. But they had a plethora of talent which makes it easier for lesser players to play better.

We don't have the advantage of people focusing on 3 different guys on the Dline. Every team we face thinks they can bully our dline. If we became a factory for dline players they'd keep rolling in. Need to find a niche and bring guys in. Clemson sends 1 or 2 dlinemen a year to the pros.

Much easier said than actually accomplished, but it can become a focus. Way of selling to kids is look we want s force up front. We want you to be the start of a looong lineage of superstar dlinemen for tech. We want you to rival Clemson as the best dlinemen school in the country.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Where was this picture taken? GT should purchase ad with similar along with GT alum avg earnings and post on every major SE high school football stadium ad space, interstate billboards , etc. Think it would be pretty cost effective recruiting tool.

If we do, I hope we change "your lucky" to "you're lucky," add an apostrophe to "wont," and correct the 1.6% vs. 1.5% inconsistency. Sad that somebody can do that much research, yet stumble across the goalline with a failure in basic writing and proofreading.