Details on Collins’s contract ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I understand the market well and ecomonics.....TStan was in the position of strength and gave it away. He got a 50% pay raise after two years of doing not much....now getting as much as the previous person and doing half the work. No offense, but IMO, from Tech's prospective......give past history.....it is not a good deal.

You really think he is doing "half" the work just because he isn't calling plays? Dude has been on the road non stop. Besides, we were going to be paying an OC regardless, as CPJ was just about the only coach left who did double duty.

Do you think we could have offered any other coach that we were interviewing less? Norvell? Littrel? Doubtful. I am just unclear on what you realitically think TStan could have done differently here. Collins was the coach he wanted and he paid a fair market rate to get him. We also don't know where the negotiations started.

Animal02

Banned
I dont think you understand the market. CPJ was coaching on a school friendly deal because he negotiated his extension off a 5-6 season and everyone knew no one was going to try and hire him away.

If we went with a more experienced head coach, we would be paying 4 mil. plus.

Everybody gets guaranteed money. No coach is going to take a "show me" contract, dream job or not. Would you take less than the market says you are worth? He was making 2 mil. guaranteed at Temple.

You're just being unrealistic, no offense.
Oh...BTW.....Iowa's HC....got over 50% of his base in bonuses ..not all on field performance based.......so yes coaches take "show me contracts" and there are plenty of ways to fairly structure them.

Animal02

Banned
You really think he is doing "half" the work just because he isn't calling plays? Dude has been on the road non stop. Besides, we were going to be paying an OC regardless, as CPJ was just about the only coach left who did double duty.

Do you think we could have offered any other coach that we were interviewing less? Norvell? Littrel? Doubtful. I am just unclear on what you realitically think TStan could have done differently here. Collins was the coach he wanted and he paid a fair market rate to get him. We also don't know where the negotiations started.
You unwittingly hit the nail on the head.....TStan WANTED Collins......and lost negotiating from a position of strength. Thanks for proving my point.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You unwittingly hit the nail on the head.....TStan WANTED Collins......and lost negotiating from a position of strength. Thanks for proving my point.

So he should have hired a coach he didn't want? Lol. Or you're just saying he should have low balled him? Maybe he did. We don't know what number was thrown out there first.

I have no clue what you are talking about with Iowa's head coach. He has one of the most burdensome contracts in college football. Iowa could never get rid of him. His buyout is enormous.

I would understand a lot more if you would just come out and say you don't like the hire, period. All of this other stuff...you're just reaching to find fault.

Animal02

Banned
So he should have hired a coach he didn't want? Lol. Or you're just saying he should have low balled him? Maybe he did. We don't know what number was thrown out there first.

I have no clue what you are talking about with Iowa's head coach. He has one of the most burdensome contracts in college football. Iowa could never get rid of him. His buyout is enormous.
He received 2.8 million in bonuses on a 4.7 mill base. The bonus numbers are huge for specific targets....hundreds of thousands for winning the division, conference etc. Grad rates etc.

Animal02

Banned

I would understand a lot more if you would just come out and say you don't like the hire, period. All of this other stuff...you're just reaching to find fault.
See...once again you are reading into my post what you want to. :rolleyes:
It wasn't long ago that other posters were saying how Tech would have more $$$ for assistant coaches because we would not be paying the HC to be the OC as well. Guess that has got flushed down the memory hole.
One just has to look north up the street to 10th to see the problems of long contracts with little proven performance.....and here we go doing it again.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He received 2.8 million in bonuses on a 4.7 mill base. The bonus numbers are huge for specific targets....hundreds of thousands for winning the division, conference etc. Grad rates etc.

And 500k just for winning 8 games! Thats an insane contract. 22 million buyout and a contract that runs through 2026. Only reason Ferentz would agree to a contract so heavy on incentives is because the base salary is so high to begin with. And that is the model you would have used for Collins' contract? Lordy. I am glad TStan is in charge and not you.

Animal02

Banned
And 500k just for winning 8 games! Thats an insane contract. 22 million buyout and a contract that runs through 2026. Only reason Ferentz would agree to a contract so heavy on incentives is because the base salary is so high to begin with. And that is the model you would have used for Collins' contract? Lordy. I am glad TStan is in charge and not you.
:rolleyes:. Moving the goal posts. You made the claim about "show me" contracts....and were proven wrong. BTW......there are lots of other examples I could show you.
I would would have had no problem with a contract of let's say 2.5 million and a bonus of 500k for winning 8 games next year.....and even the following two.
Sees nothing was learned with the buyouts required from a previous football coach and two basketball coaches.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
:rolleyes:. Moving the goal posts. You made the claim about "show me" contracts....and were proven wrong. BTW......there are lots of other examples I could show you.
I would would have had no problem with a contract of let's say 2.5 million and a bonus of 500k for winning 8 games next year.....and even the following two.
Sees nothing was learned with the buyouts required from a previous football coach and two basketball coaches.

A contract with a nearly 5 million base is in no way a "show me" contract, no matter how heavy the incentives are. Bottom line is we needed to hire a coach and we are paying pretty much in the middle of the going rate for new head coaches at the P5 level. You just don't like him and that's your prerogative.

Animal02

Banned
A contract with a nearly 5 million base is in no way a "show me" contract, no matter how heavy the incentives are. Bottom line is we needed to hire a coach and we are paying pretty much in the middle of the going rate for new head coaches at the P5 level. You just don't like him and that's your prerogative.
This seems to be the case with every thread with the hype buying posters....it boils down to "you don't like the new coach" when you have no answer. As I said....I cited one specific example when there are plenty of examples.....you continue to focus on the specific instead of the broad concept because your claim fell flat.....and then you resort to the "it is because you don't like the new coach" It has become the Godwin's law of Swarm.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This seems to be the case with every thread with the hype buying posters....it boils down to "you don't like the new coach" when you have no answer. As I said....I cited one specific example when there are plenty of examples.....you continue to focus on the specific instead of the broad concept because your claim fell flat.....and then you resort to the "it is because you don't like the new coach" It has become the Godwin's law of Swarm.

You cited one poor example. My claim is simply that Collins' contract is not out of line with the rest of the market, and you haven't refuted that at all.

And just be honest, it isn't a stretch to say that you just don't like the new coach, given your posting history. It is rather obvious. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
Animal is hitting the nail on the head in every single post, in every single thread. And I do mean every. single. thread. Over and over. Better?

Is this allowed? Why is this dude allowed to post his crap but we can't call him out???

I called him out for his crap and it gets deleted. If you agree with him though the post gets to remain. It's literally twilight zone with this dude and his crap. He's been a virus for well over a month and nobody does a damn thing about it and they will delete your post if you call him out. But he's allowed to ruin every single thread with the same stuff.

Why?

Animal02

Banned
You cited one poor example. My claim is simply that Collins' contract is not out of line with the rest of the market, and you haven't refuted that at all.

And just be honest, it isn't a stretch to say that you just don't like the new coach, given your posting history. It is rather obvious. It is what it is.
Poor example....someone getting a third of their compensation in performance bonuses is not a poor example

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
@Animal02 I was, and still am, a huge supporter of CPJ. I also get tired of the incessant crapping on CPJ in a lot of the threads. That being said, every pro-CGC stance is not an anti-CPJ stance. Sure, there are a few trolls and malcontents who will take every opportunity to take pot shots at CPJ, but you seem to be leading the potshots against CGC. You need to dial it back some. If someone is trolling, just report it. Otherwise, just agree to disagree.

As for the contract, I said as soon as it was announced that 7 years seemed fair considering the uncertainties that come with as big an overhaul on O as we have ahead of us. $$ lines up with the market, which I can't argue. I hope CGC outperforms it in the next few years. That would be a good problem to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.