Derrick Morgan Retiring

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

DM chose GT in part because he was one of the rare few high performing scholar-athletes who recognizes the value of a GT degree. He always had an eye on life after football as evidenced by his retirement message on Twitter. Let me re-emphasize the terms "rare" and "few" in the same sentence as "recognizes the value of a GT degree."

I hope we're still going hard after these endangered species athletes. Even the not-so-scholarly high performing athletes should be able to recognize the value of a top shelf education even if you have a superb NFL career like Morgan and Calvin. Those two guys should be the poster boys for what GT can do for you after the NFL. As we all know too well trying to convince the naive prep football star who believes himself invincible that they need to plan for the future is no easy task.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Then, my junior year, I started getting recognition on the football field, and the whole plan changed. My mind opened up to a much bigger dream. Something that could potentially deliver me from my circumstances.

College football.

So I put all my effort into that pursuit. And once I achieved that goal and I arrived on campus at Georgia Tech, I looked even further ahead, and my focus became NFL or bust. I studied just enough to stay eligible, and I devoted the rest of my time to football.

That “formula” worked. In 2010, the Tennessee Titans drafted me in the first round.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
DM chose GT in part because he was one of the rare few high performing scholar-athletes who recognizes the value of a GT degree. He always had an eye on life after football as evidenced by his retirement message on Twitter. Let me re-emphasize the terms "rare" and "few" in the same sentence as "recognizes the value of a GT degree."

I hope we're still going hard after these endangered species athletes. Even the not-so-scholarly high performing athletes should be able to recognize the value of a top shelf education even if you have a superb NFL career like Morgan and Calvin. Those two guys should be the poster boys for what GT can do for you after the NFL. As we all know too well trying to convince the naive prep football star who believes himself invincible that they need to plan for the future is no easy task.
In the players tribune article that I posted after your post, Derrick acknowledges that he was focused on football until he was injured early in his NFL career, and that's when his mindset started shifting to life after football. That suggests the recruiting net is wider than you intimated, based on first-hand info. I almost didn't want to post this because I don't think that's where this thread should head, but wanted to draw your attention to it.

His tweet nor the article suggest his motives for choosing GT. No matter the reason, I'm glad he was a Jacket. There are a lot of reasons for going to Georgia Tech, and we are fortunate to call him an alum.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

As he says in write up, " i did as little as necessary to stay eligible and i concentrated on making the nfl" .

Can u imagine how little is required to stay eligible in easy classes at some factories? Sad. Very sad.

I think your point about the gt experience is spot on - show u can make it at gt while being active in non academic activities and u have a resume for life.

Frind who played for Titans w D M said DM was a special person.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In the players tribune article that I posted after your post, Derrick acknowledges that he was focused on football until he was injured early in his NFL career, and that's when his mindset started shifting to life after football. That suggests the recruiting net is wider than you intimated, based on first-hand info. I almost didn't want to post this because I don't think that's where this thread should head, but wanted to draw your attention to it.

His tweet nor the article suggest his motives for choosing GT. No matter the reason, I'm glad he was a Jacket. There are a lot of reasons for going to Georgia Tech, and we are fortunate to call him an alum.
I stand corrected and it's a sad day. At least Calvin chose GT, in part, for academics and don't try to tell me he didn't.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My friend who was a teamate of DM on the Titans, got a cushy deal in college. Went to nfl thriugh free agent and saved every penny. Now he has a nfl retirement, a 12 figure saving account, but is clueless of what to do next.
Imo, what sets gt apart is that Tech men are not robots that just succeed in engineering tasks. They can adapt and be good at many different careers. Gt is just the launching pad.
Hope we keep recruiting guys like DM.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I stand corrected and it's a sad day. At least Calvin chose GT, in part, for academics and don't try to tell me he didn't.

I seem to remember Calvin wanting to stay close to his girlfriend and family as the deciding factor. Not saying academics didn’t play a part, but not sure it was the deciding factor. Calvin’s family pushed academics hard.

Chris Bosh, I remember, was one very high profile recruit interested in the academic. Funny because he wasn’t here very long

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Boy, you guys are doing wonders for our “40 year plan” sale. Of course some will only be interested in football, but the vast majority recognize the degree, or at least say they do.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
My friend who was a teamate of DM on the Titans, got a cushy deal in college. Went to nfl thriugh free agent and saved every penny. Now he has a nfl retirement, a 12 figure saving account, but is clueless of what to do next.
Imo, what sets gt apart is that Tech men are not robots that just succeed in engineering tasks. They can adapt and be good at many different careers. Gt is just the launching pad.
Hope we keep recruiting guys like DM.

A Jeff Bezos size savings account is pretty good for a football player.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Boy, you guys are doing wonders for our “40 year plan” sale. Of course some will only be interested in football, but the vast majority recognize the degree, or at least say they do.

I was never a fan of recruiting with the 40yr plan pitch. Sound just as archaic as many said about the TO

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck

The 40-year plan would be best marketed by highlighting athletes that were highly recruited but never saw the field. Then went on to successful business careers — not using the Calvin Johnsons and Derrick Morgans as use cases.