Derrick Favors

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Utah is trying to decide whether to waive Favors to make cap space. The Hawks would like to get a center to share minutes for one season. It would be nice to see Favors in a Hawks uniform. He is only 27, so it might be a nice transition or maybe a way for Derrick to close out his career in his hometown.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Utah is trying to decide whether to waive Favors to make cap space. The Hawks would like to get a center to share minutes for one season. It would be nice to see Favors in a Hawks uniform. He is only 27, so it might be a nice transition or maybe a way for Derrick to close out his career in his hometown.
It’s hard to believe it has only been a decade since we had any kind of hope at the beginning of a basketball season.

der-k

Georgia Tech Fan
Favors is a ways away from closing out his career, I think.

He’s a good pro, but there are a handful of reasons why his playing for the Hawks doesn’t make sense at this time - ranging from Atlanta’s seeming desire to have a ranger guy on that spot, their general use of cap space as a means of accumulative low cost future assets by taking on bad deals (Crabbe, Hill, Plumlee), and that Favors may be attractive to playoff teams which the Hawks will not be. (I don’t like his fit with Collins either.)

slugboy

Staff member
It’s not the year for a big Hawks free agent. This is another fallow year where we get a (hopefully good) lottery pick and get a chance to play together.
I’m hoping we keep Vince Carter to mentor the frontcourt for one more year, but I don’t think it’s happening.
Last year, the Hawks had very little defense. I think most of this year’s draft is defense. Seems like what they should want is a guy who can score.
I’m also not sure about where players fit in their starting 5.
PG: Trae Young
SG?: Kevin Heurter
SF?: Deandre Hunter
PF?: John Collins
SF/PF?: Cam Reddish

You have to make one of those guys sit to get a true center on the court.
I’m not sure where Favors goes. Maybe somewhere for one year, and he can come to ATL after that. You also have to wait for the dominos to fall from Toronto, LAC, LAL, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would be really surprised if the Hawks traded and took the whole salary on given how close the Jazz are to taking care of that part themselves. However, there is no doubt he is better than the cast of characters they currently have at the 5 spot - especially if Spellman hasn't shown any better fitness over the summer. He wouldn't have to be a every day starter or every minute type of player. As a matchup for teams with a legit center or a really good pick and roll offense, he would be a good defensive addition. His downside is he isn't going to stretch the floor and Collins is the pick and roll guy for the Hawks on offense - so someone has to figure out a good role on that end of the court.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We could side track the whole thread right now with New Orleans vs Charleston vs Savannah.

I'll give you my bias. The more gentrification the more the authentic places turn touristy and over priced.