Depth, substitution, being completely gassed late

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
GT typically rotates the d line when they can. The problem is a lot of the teams they play, including uga in the second half run uptempo no huddle offenses. And it hard to rotate and get the plays in with that. Especially d linemen.
... which is just one of the reasons they do it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rightly or wrongly, I'm not concerned about DT. Green, Kitchens, and Gotsis have already shown me enough for me to be confident in them. Add Kallon and Commisiong to that list, and I reckon we'll bee okay. I'm less certain about DE, especially with the move of Drummond there before Harrell got hurt.
I have no idea about the Commish. I guess if Kallon really starts to make strides and Gotsis puts on 20 pounds and continues to improve, you might be right. IMHO Green is a good situational DT (3rd or 4th and short) and Kitchen is a serviceable backup, but neither is upper level FBS starter material. My gut tells me we are in trouble at this position. The best case scenario is that we are average, from what I can see. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea about the Commish. I guess if Kallon really starts to make strides and Gotsis puts on 20 pounds and continues to improve, you might be right. IMHO Green is a good situational DT (3rd or 4th and short) and Kitchen is a serviceable backup, but neither is upper level FBS starter material. My gut tells me we are in trouble at this position. The best case scenario is that we are average, from what I can see. I hope you are right and I am wrong.
I have know idea why Gotsis was on the weight loss challenge last off season.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have know idea why Gotsis was on the weight loss challenge last off season.
From what I heard they are doing a lot of agility type stuff and explosive workouts which is what you want. I think he built solid muscle and has very very little fat on him but the problem is he needs some more weight. I think one more year of weight training he will be what we need weight wise. I agree he was a little too thin this year but I know he had some bad weight on him his freshman year.

I will say that if he can't add weight then move him over to DE.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Commin & Kallen are 300lb'rs which should help. Then need work on their techniques, but size for them won't be an issue.

gtdrew

Banned
Remember Joe Anoa'i, who played at about 280. He was one of the best DT's we've had in a long time. Darryl Richards wasn't huge. I'd like to see Gotsis stay right where he is. Maybe gain a little more, but there's this idea that size=success. Unless you're a Sumo, that just isn't true. It helps, but its not mandatory.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Remember Joe Anoa'i, who played at about 280. He was one of the best DT's we've had in a long time. Darryl Richards wasn't huge. I'd like to see Gotsis stay right where he is. Maybe gain a little more, but there's this idea that size=success. Unless you're a Sumo, that just isn't true. It helps, but its not mandatory.
You will get no argument from me on that general point. I mean Barnes was huge but he wasn't athletic enough to use his size at all. Gotsis needs to get bigger and stronger, because he can, and keep all the athleticism going for him. His technique is improving but he just isn't explosive enough right now in the upper body. I like his ability to use his legs, both driving people and chasing plays, but he has a hard time winning the hand battles and getting off blocks.

If our guys are going to be small, they need to be more quick, agile, and athletic than they are. Anoai was very quick, plus he benefitted greatly from Tenuta's zone blitz scheme. He wasn't blowing people up and pushing them into the back field. I think Roof would like to establish a line that doesn't need as much help from the guys behind. He did the best he could with who we had available, but we need better. It is a good discussion, as this position group is one of our top priorities in building the program.

gtdrew

Banned
I had lab science w Joe, and he was a scary, quiet guy when he wasn't in a good mood. He may also be WWE Champion by the end of next year. He's that that good an impression on his current employer.

I agree w your statement. I think our top 2-3 guys are the type we need. It's the guys behind them. We have to get deeper behind them, and I think we are.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
gotsis should move to SDE. you'll have commisiong, kallon, green, kitchens, and akins inside.
I agree with this line of thought. However, the younger guys would have to show during Spring, the ability to handle the inside well so that Gotsis would have time to manage the move efficiently. This reminds me of the practice at FSU during the 1990s where a big athlete would play DT the 1st 2 years and then move to DE.