Depth Chart for Tulane game

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
At that this point in his career, he should know what everybody on the field is doing so the learning curve shouldn't be there. As for who replaces who in nickel, i wouldn't get too caught up it. Back in Wommack days I was the Wolf/Sam (I guess you can say I was the lone wolf) in the 4-3 base, but in nickel I would replace the Will. Lets just hope that the 2 LBs that are in there are our best pass defenders from that group

This. Who is replaced is based on pass cvg ability not position. I agree nealy should know where to go but u know how tendancies can be......

Lets hope he shows a big difference this week.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Even if Law is that good, it doesn't say much for your program if your best athlete at any given position is a true frosh.
Was that true for FSU with Deon Sanders? For USCe with Clowney? UGA with Hershel? Aubie with Bo? List goes on and on and on and on. Not saying either Austin are of that caliber (though i like their play)...just take issue with the premise.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Was that true for FSU with Deon Sanders? For USCe with Clowney? UGA with Hershel? Aubie with Bo? List goes on and on and on and on. Not saying either Austin are of that caliber (though i like their play)...just take issue with the premise.
Every one of those guys were national recruits, most 5 stars. I know freshman start, but some of our recent NFL'ers didn't even start as true freshman: JD: no, Derrick Morgan: no, Michael Johnson: no, Josh Nesbitt: no. When a 3 star with few offers comes in and starts as a true frosh, it says you have a weakness at that position.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought the Austins looked very good in the first game, so I'd lean toward the hdgtfan's explanation.

Also, remember that Lynn Griffin is still out. He probably would have been the starter at that position.
I think you're right. Keep in mind Lynn beat out both until his suspension. Griffin does not shy away from contact, he is quick and definitely strong enough to handle bigger receivers. DJ White is better in coverage but Griffin is not far behind.

Swarm3

Georgia Tech Fan
Good to see Isaiah listed as starter. Little surprised to see Andrew Marshall as backup center. I wonder if Brigham is still hurt and that's why O'Reilly the backup LG?
Brigham is recovering and should be back for ACC play for sure. How the depth chart is adjusted will depend on both needs at guard and at center. Brigham and Thomas bring experience and flexibility to the OL for the tougher competition in the ACC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Every one of those guys were national recruits, most 5 stars. I know freshman start, but some of our recent NFL'ers didn't even start as true freshman: JD: no, Derrick Morgan: no, Michael Johnson: no, Josh Nesbitt: no. When a 3 star with few offers comes in and starts as a true frosh, it says you have a weakness at that position.
Not saying you're wrong at all, but how highly ranked (and well recruited) would the Austin twins have been in they'd have been 2-3 inches taller?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not saying you're wrong at all, but how highly ranked (and well recruited) would the Austin twins have been in they'd have been 2-3 inches taller?
I actually agree with you about how guys are missed in the recruiting process. And I can see how the Austins could be two of the best athletes out there. My point has to do with college experience. Even if those guys are stud athletes, there's gonna be a learning curve with the college game. In a perfect world we'd have an upperclassman or two with lots of college snaps under their belt with a similar degree of athleticism. Ideally, you'd want your true freshman learning the college ropes in situations where typical freshman mistakes aren't game changers.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I actually agree with you about how guys are missed in the recruiting process. And I can see how the Austins could be two of the best athletes out there. My point has to do with college experience. Even if those guys are stud athletes, there's gonna be a learning curve with the college game. In a perfect world we'd have an upperclassman or two with lots of college snaps under their belt with a similar degree of athleticism. Ideally, you'd want your true freshman learning the college ropes in situations where typical freshman mistakes aren't game changers.

You seem to have shifted from a practical measure for strength of program to abstract ideal of perfect world.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree

Hey I can remember my first year at Buffalo. I broke the bench press record and everyone was talking about how strong I was and my ability to be a dominate lineman on both sides of the ball. One thing that was important was the fact that I had no NFL experience nor did I have a full understanding of the technique that some of the veterans had. Let's just say Bruce Smith rattled by cage when we lined up. lol lol.