Depth Chart for Tulane game

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Good to see Isaiah listed as starter. Little surprised to see Andrew Marshall as backup center. I wonder if Brigham is still hurt and that's why O'Reilly the backup LG?

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought the Austins looked very good in the first game, so I'd lean toward the hdgtfan's explanation.

Also, remember that Lynn Griffin is still out. He probably would have been the starter at that position.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
OFFENSE (Spread Option)
DEFENSE (Multiple)

Interesting on the offense...going away from the flexbone tag. Though CPJ has been calling his offense spread option back to last season. Starting the campaign to mainstream acceptance I guess. Now if we can start calling the BB a Feature Back and ABs Multi-Purpose backs

Lots of true freshmen on that depth chart.

I saw Shamire playing special teams and dwarfing everyone on the field. Did he get any snaps with the offense?

The SAM personnel is being populated by DBs...I guess to flex out in 4-2-5 look.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Rod-CG was a pleasant surprise Sat. Looked like he belonged there.Boy,we need that effort.
If Nealy doesn't play better we are going to be in serious tackling trouble at LB.One time when the QB ran up middle their back (200 lbs) completely covered up Nealy(235) so he didn't TOUCH the QB as he went by.Hope Harrell gets back. quick.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Still confused with the LB alignment with Nealy at the Mike and Marcodes at the Will. Someone mentioned Marcodes played but there is nothing in the notes regarding his performance in the game

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
OFFENSE (Spread Option)
DEFENSE (Multiple)

Interesting on the offense...going away from the flexbone tag. Though CPJ has been calling his offense spread option back to last season. Starting the campaign to mainstream acceptance I guess. Now if we can start calling the BB a Feature Back and ABs Multi-Purpose backs

Lots of true freshmen on that depth chart.

I saw Shamire playing special teams and dwarfing everyone on the field. Did he get any snaps with the offense?

The SAM personnel is being populated by DBs...I guess to flex out in 4-2-5 look.
He's been calling it the spread since GSU days. That's nothing new.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Techster I've never heard CPJ refer to his offense or his formation as flexbone, but I think he should. As @vamosjackets says, he's been calling it spread option for a while.

Still confused with the LB alignment with Nealy at the Mike and Marcodes at the Will. Someone mentioned Marcodes played but there is nothing in the notes regarding his performance in the game

I agree our D alignment is confusing. Last year, when we went to nickle, we replaced the Mike with the nickle back. Now, it seems like we're trying to have him replace the Sam.

I really don't understand defensive scheme philosophy very well, but if we're asking Neally to basically learn a new position, it could explain why his play seemed confused at times.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's been calling it the spread since GSU days. That's nothing new.

This is the first time I've seen a concerted effort by everyone (marketing, staff, Athletic department) say spread option instead of "triple option offense"..."flexbone offense"..."option offense". Looks like there's one message now and it's more towards the mainstream.

I remember a few years ago the GT marketing did a "Flex Option" package for games you could pick among our home games.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Techster I've never heard CPJ refer to his offense or his formation as flexbone, but I think he should. As @vamosjackets says, he's been calling it spread option for a while.

I don't think CPJ really cares what his offense is called...as long as you don't call it the "triple option offense" or "old school". I've never heard him call it flexbone offense either...to my recollection.

I was just making a point that there's a consistent message with everyone on GT's side now and it seems it's aimed at the public's perception of what we are (or are not).

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

I agree our D alignment is confusing. Last year, when we went to nickle, we replaced the Mike with the nickle back. Now, it seems like we're trying to have him replace the Sam.

I really don't understand defensive scheme philosophy very well, but if we're asking Neally to basically learn a new position, it could explain why his play seemed confused at times.

At that this point in his career, he should know what everybody on the field is doing so the learning curve shouldn't be there. As for who replaces who in nickel, i wouldn't get too caught up it. Back in Wommack days I was the Wolf/Sam (I guess you can say I was the lone wolf) in the 4-3 base, but in nickel I would replace the Will. Lets just hope that the 2 LBs that are in there are our best pass defenders from that group

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am still trying to come to grips with how bad Nealy looked Saturday, as are you all. If this was not a fluke -- if he plays similar this week -- I wonder if we shouldn't start playing three safeties. Nealy's extra size did us no good when he was blocked by much larger linemen. A smaller, nimbler safety might at least be quick enough to be hard to get a shoulder on. Ibee has firsthand experience of the pros and cons.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but if so, I haven't seen it. What sort of offense are we gonna see this Saturday? Primarily run based on pass based?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Option offenses like ours and Wofford can make a lot of good players look bad. Look at all the guys we played against in the past that are in the NFL or were high draft picks that we made look foolish: Brandon Thompson at Clemson, Bruce Carter at UNC, etc.

I'd be worried about Nealy going forward if he stinks it up against Tulane.