Depth and Conditioning

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
So, the offseason is in full swing and I decided to watch some games from the previous few seasons. I think the lack of quality depth/conditioning on both of the lines really contributed to more of our problems than I first realized. In 2008, 2009 we seemed to win more battles up front as the games went along. Even when we had to grind it out a few yards at a time we seemed to have more gas in the tank at the end than did our opponents. Last year we had very little gas in the tank at the end of the games. Last year we rotated very few people along the lines. The physical size of the lines are going up this year, so I think we are going to have to rotate more players than we ever have.

If we are going to win the close ones this year we are going to have to rotate some folks along the lines to be able to compete at the end of the games. For all the talk about the offense (QB) last year, I think the lack of serviceable depth on the DL had a bigger impact on our record than did our O. What do you guys think?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I totally agree. The Dline was gassed in OT vs UGA. I will say I think in the past our O killed other teams in TOP which kept our d off the field. I don't know if the stats back that up but it just did not seem that we had the huge TOP as we have had in the past.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
So, the offseason is in full swing and I decided to watch some games from the previous few seasons. I think the lack of quality depth/conditioning on both of the lines really contributed to more of our problems than I first realized. In 2008, 2009 we seemed to win more battles up front as the games went along. Even when we had to grind it out a few yards at a time we seemed to have more gas in the tank at the end than did our opponents. Last year we had very little gas in the tank at the end of the games. Last year we rotated very few people along the lines. The physical size of the lines are going up this year, so I think we are going to have to rotate more players than we ever have.

If we are going to win the close ones this year we are going to have to rotate some folks along the lines to be able to compete at the end of the games. For all the talk about the offense (QB) last year, I think the lack of serviceable depth on the DL had a bigger impact on our record than did our O. What do you guys think?

IMO we have rotated and built good depth at LB, secondary, WR, AB, and BB. We have not done a good job rotating or building depth in DL (especially DE) or OL. This may be partially due to past inadequate recruiting at DL and OL, but it was pretty clear to see this coming last year with 6 seniors in the DL and Ol not being rotated very often.
This year we seem to be in a much better position to build depth and experience in the DL but it will be another year on the OL until those incoming freshmen give us sufficient numbers of the big guys to get to where we need to be IMO. Good news for 2014 is depth is more critical on DL than on Ol (barring the OL injury bug) but to be really good you need both. From what I saw in the Spring we seem to have a conditioning problem with some players on the OL. Injuries are not totally random as conditioning does play a part.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not saying the D was not fatigued. But I think UGA caught us in a bad formation on that last TD and a play was made by a great talent, Gurly, against it.

boozinbuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not saying the D was not fatigued. But I think UGA caught us in a bad formation on that last TD and a play was made by a great talent, Gurly, against it.
UGA didn't punt in the second half. From 1:43 remaining in the 2nd quarter to the end of regualtion, they had no turnovers, 3 td's and 2 fg's. I have no idea what this means, just putting it out there.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
GT got tentative vs UGA then tired.

GT has always struggled with line depth...for many reasons mainly program/school related. I dont' think we have a conditioning issue, we simply don't have the rotation luxury most schools do, that can still compete at a decent level. Our dropoff is huge and a tired 70% gotsis is still better than his backup. sad but true, but its been this way forever at GT.

The only time I can recall it not really being this way was when Chan built his Ds. From the Anoai, oliver, roberson, wrotto line through to the walker, richard, johnson, oliver line we were always really salty up front and had good rotation depth with guys like anyaibe, a young mike johnson, etc. But Chan did build his d by prioritizing the recruits that way. He said it from the get go, the D will get the athletes first. Paul tends to try guys on O first. Did chans' lines struggle in some games. Sure, all D's do. But in general they were relatively solid and deep

FYI Oleary also put guys on O first. Paul and GOL both have had non-deep DL's in general over the years that notably could get worn out...They both had good single players, guys like gathers, stimson, attouchou etc, but as a 6-7 man unit it wasn't great

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think sisk may be good too...we will see...Ciano was good at building powerful guys. Right now our feel like our roster is more lean/cut. I would like to see some power guys back too....

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

Agreed. When I realized we were not going to win the game in regulation, I said " we can't stop Gurley". Very few teams could at that point.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I can understand placing an emphasis on the O or D based on the head coaching strategy. It just seems that we lack the ability to have depth on either, while at the same time having redshirts on the sideline. I think to have a shot at key games we are going to have to develop serviceable backups to play a few series within the game. We will rarely have the depth of UGAg or Bama, but we must find a means to play 4 quarters on one side or the other.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our depth is directly related to our recruiting about 40th. When we play power teams, we suffer. But when we play weak teams (there are 84 teams who recruit worse), we wear them down.

I think the emphasis on O is what I would do. Besides scoring more, you can control the clock (don't run hurry up!) which keeps the D off the field. But it would only be an emphasis as I would (and we don't I don't think we do) have a player who would start on D be second string on O.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think the emphasis on O is what I would do. Besides scoring more, you can control the clock (don't run hurry up!) which keeps the D off the field. But it would only be an emphasis as I would (and we don't I don't think we do) have a player who would start on D be second string on O.

Pretty much what CPJ was able to do in 2008 and 2009. CPJ march of death originated from that time period.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
If these guys don't take it upon themselves to better condition themselves during the off season we most likely will continue having some sort of a issue. They have to go back to the gym and track to put in extra work after they are done with Sisk. I know it's easier said than done though. Many of these guys are working and going to school during the summer. This is where Senior leadership and team bonding are most important IMO. Hopefully we will be able to win the battle in the trenches this year late in the game. I'm hearing good things about Sisk but there is only so much time in a day that he can spend with the players.