Denzel McCoy

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
There has to be some work around to the rules of 5 years to play 4. BYU has student athletes go on missions for years at a time (several in the middle of football careers though it is more common to go between highschool and college.) I think the 5 years is if you are on athletic scholarship. Was McCoy on athletic scholarship or something else?

I hope @Eric is wrong, but have learned betting against him isn't wise

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
At this point, all parties should just move along. McCoy hopefully will get his Tech degree and be a productive citizen. If he wants to play football and is good enough, maybe he can be a free agent in the NFL.

Go Jackets!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At this point, all parties should just move along. McCoy hopefully will get his Tech degree and be a productive citizen. If he wants to play football and is good enough, maybe he can be a free agent in the NFL.

Go Jackets!

Amen. Taking care of the kids who commit to us is the #1 priority. From what I understand, McCoy kept his scholarship when the medical problem came up. To hear he is getting his degree and a job is what it is all about.

I would have rather he played for us and helped improve our record, but that wasn't to be. Life goes on outside of football / entertainment. Like Dodd, CPJ does seem to care and take care of our players.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Stories like this should, and I stress should, go a long way in our recruiting efforts. "Hey kid, if you get injured and never play another down of football, you're still set for life with a GT degree." The sad truth is most elite athletes think they are invincible and are extremely short sighted. It all goes back to who we target and the truth I just mentioned is just one more reason our pool is shallower than most.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
To respond to the question above, no I do not know of any issue that would make me not want to add McCoy to the team. I just feel like the young man is now a 22 year old man and needs to take advantage of his Tech degree and become a productive member of society. I have just seen a lot of guys that can not let go of their dreams and end up wasting a lot of their life chasing after something that has already passed them by. Good luck to him. It sounds like he is a making a mature / wise decision.

Go Jackets!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
To respond to the question above, no I do not know of any issue that would make me not want to add McCoy to the team. I just feel like the young man is now a 22 year old man and needs to take advantage of his Tech degree and become a productive member of society. I have just seen a lot of guys that can not let go of their dreams and end up wasting a lot of their life chasing after something that has already passed them by. Good luck to him. It sounds like he is a making a mature / wise decision.

Go Jackets!
Makes sense, I just didn't know if there was something more to the story.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

Congrats to Denzel.

I would like to see GT play this up: the guy gets hurt, stays on scholly, gets a degree and a first class job straight out of school. Only at GT!

I agree it might not mean much to an invincible 17 year old but maybe it would mean a lot to mom and dad.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see GT play this up: the guy gets hurt, stays on scholly, gets a degree and a first class job straight out of school. Only at GT!

I agree it might not mean much to an invincible 17 year old but maybe it would mean a lot to mom and dad.
Excellent point. At Bama, guys like this get shipped off to east bumble U and never heard from again. Or worse, finish their degree at Bammer.... and are never heard from again....