Demetrius Knight position change

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m guessing that Knight really wanted to switch back to QB. And if he’s determined to compete at QB, Collins is right to allow him that opportunity. I just hope he keeps an open mind about it and doesn’t take it personally if he can’t beat out the other guys.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't mean Knight will stay at QB. Given he'll probably be behind Sims and Yates right off the bat for reps, and will have to compete with Peery for 3rd string reps, he may end up moving back to LB after the spring and he realizes he might not have the skillset to play QB in this system.
He MAY have been thinking about entering the portal. Coach says, "will you stay if I give you a shot at QB"? Just a SWAG .......

Techster

Helluva Engineer
6'2" 235lbs QB who runs a legit 4.5 forty. He was a 4 year starter in HS. I'd like to see what he can do even if it's just running.

CGC strikes me as a guy that gives kids an opportunity to get on the field wherever they think they can get on the field.

Jack Coco is a good example. Came in as a LS, asked to move to TE, and he ended up getting heavy minutes at TE. In fact, he saved us this season by making that move in the offseason.

The good thing about this staff is how they run practice. They usually run multiple offenses and defenses at a time so kids down the line are getting reps.

At the end of the day, DK is going to know whether he can run this offense and where he stands against the other QBs.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Knight seemed to disappear from playing time this year. I don't like this move for him. I think with Curry moving on, Knight would have seen more PT at linebacker. If you're short on QBs for spring practice then use the walk-ons. Knight was signed as a TO quarterback just like Oliver. I really disagree with this move and I hope Knight changes his mind. He's wind up 4th string.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with others that are confused by this move. I remember the Miami game last year was almost a coming out party of sorts for him. I don't understand him at QB b/c Sims can already run pretty well.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
To me, he really wants a shot at QB. with Curry leaving I'd think he was a sure shot at starting at LB but maybe he just doesn't want that and wants to compete at QB. He probably thinks he can overtake Yates at #2 if not push Sims real hard.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I agree with others that are confused by this move. I remember the Miami game last year was almost a coming out party of sorts for him. I don't understand him at QB b/c Sims can already run pretty well.
I don't think this is that much of a mystery. His playing time was going down at the LB spot. The younger guys we brought in last year look to be getting more PT next year. We are bringing in even more guys this year. He probably has a good chance of being BTL next year at LB all year. On the other hand, we have shown we'll keep 4 QBs ATL and right now we have only 3 that will be on scholarship next year. So perhaps he feels he has a better chance of being ATL as a QB next year than at LB.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If he could not crack our LB lineup that tells me he just isn't going to produce at that position. Moves like this usually spell that it's not going to work out for whomever. Brings to mind Jordan Swilling a 5 star with nowhere to play.

Go Jackets!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This has about as much chance of working as Bruce J-Swilling at RBack, very limited.I always thought he might be a WR but that window has closed..
For a team with a 3 wins again expect a LOT of moves or some coaches will be moving on.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Did he just not want to play lb? I can't imagine he couldn't find a way to get time considering we needed help there.

Should we be alarmed this is the second odd switch from lb in the last 2 years? Swilling had no chance to get time at rb but switched anyway. Same thing here.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I don't think this is that much of a mystery. His playing time was going down at the LB spot. The younger guys we brought in last year look to be getting more PT next year. We are bringing in even more guys this year. He probably has a good chance of being BTL next year at LB all year. On the other hand, we have shown we'll keep 4 QBs ATL and right now we have only 3 that will be on scholarship next year. So perhaps he feels he has a better chance of being ATL as a QB next year than at LB.
I understand this is his decision, but I think he is going to wind up being a bench warmer with no chance of playing time.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
If he could not crack our LB lineup that tells me he just isn't going to produce at that position. Moves like this usually spell that it's not going to work out for whomever. Brings to mind Jordan Swilling a 5 star with nowhere to play.

Go Jackets!
It was rare that Curry came out of a game.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Per PFF, Knight graded out as the lowest ranked player on our defense this year, and the lowest graded tackler (it wasn’t close). As I’ve said before, PFF isn’t gospel; however, they’re watching and grading every single player’s every snap — just like our coaches are.

It wouldn’t shock me if the coaches/Knight/PFF all had the same impressions of his performance at LB this year and therefore think it’s worth it to try him somewhere else. If I had my way, I’d probably keep him at LB but have him redshirt next year — he’s still only played 2 years of LB, right?