DeMarco Cox

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We were a very good rebounding team last season, but had difficulty scoring from anywhere on the floor. So we lost our best three best rebounders and three best scorers. And, now we get a guy who may be a decent rebounder, but is certainly not much of an offensive threat. Another big guy who may be able to help, but is still a question for most of us, and some incoming young players we hope will be part of our future. I was already worried we might not win six ACC games next season - with Carter - and now it seems very problematic. Talk of us winning 18-20 games seems delusional at best.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We were a very good rebounding team last season, but had difficulty scoring from anywhere on the floor. So we lost our best three best rebounders and three best scorers. And, now we get a guy who may be a decent rebounder, but is certainly not much of an offensive threat. Another big guy who may be able to help, but is still a question for most of us, and some incoming young players we hope will be part of our future. I was already worried we might not win six ACC games next season - with Carter - and now it seems very problematic. Talk of us winning 18-20 games seems delusional at best.

Agree wholeheartedly... the previou post called for 21 wins... I just wasn't going to be as greedy. :cool:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is a thread discussing a new basketball player that apparently just transferred to GT. You said

If you were responding to something else in the thread, I apologize for the confusion.

I could be wrong, but I interpreted him as saying that the subtraction (RC transferring our) might end up being a net addition, (DC transferring in and bringing more experience something else).

I'm not sure how Cox is seen as an upgrade from Carter, but I took that for what he was saying.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong, but I interpreted him as saying that the subtraction (RC transferring our) might end up being a net addition, (DC transferring in and bringing more experience something else).

I'm not sure how Cox is seen as an upgrade from Carter, but I took that for what he was saying.

pretty close ae. i was just making a comment. a comment made often in other similar situations.

is rc talented? undoubtedly. is he an nba caliber player? i dont think so but that is my opinion. as i see it...

+1 1. we get a player who wants to be here as opposed to a player that no longer wants to be here.
-1 2. we lose rebounds and points per game
+.5 3, we gain a player who averaged 4 pts 4 rebounds in a guard orientated offense that only played 16 minutes a game as opposed to 27 mpg f0r carter.
+1 4. we lose a player that has a hard time guarding his opponent as opposed to a shot blocker .
+1 5. we lose a player that probably does not buy into the idea that he should play around the basket as opposed to an athletic freak who loves the contact and does buy into his role on the team.
-1 6. we lost a player that shot 66% from the ft line as opposed to a player that shot 51 %
+1 7. we gain a player that shot 54% from the field as opposed to a player that shot 46% from the field.
-1 8. we lose a player that the team is familiar with as opposed to a new face and style of play.
+1 9. intangibles. just was not impressed with rc's overall game and his leadership. his shot selection was often poor. he often dissappeared for long stretches in a game. on the other hand we gain a player with 2 more years of experience

i realize that arguments could be made on any number of my points. however imo i feel that we could be a better team over the long haul.

am i unhappy that rc is leaving? hell yes. do i think we are a garbage dump on fire? no fn way. just remember.... until he actually matriculates he has not left gt yet. i have a feeling that he could change his mind after further thought. just a poor decision all the way around imo. at the least he loses a year of salary in the nba if he goes after his junior year.

another thought. cox has already graduated so there will be little academic pressure on him as opposed to a rising jr carter that is required to take a full course load. how many times have we used the excuse "they just got done with finals or midterms" after a poor performance or loss??????

for all of you who trashed cbg over this just remember we have gained two commits rather quickly while beating out some good competition. that is a testament to our program as i see it.

Last edited:

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
This is a thread discussing a new basketball player that apparently just transferred to GT. You said

If you were responding to something else in the thread, I apologize for the confusion.

no apology necessary. we all have opinions. i just like to think that we could come out ahead on this deal.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We will gtpi. We have more depth in front court this year, which in turn will off set the loss of carter. Like I posted before, his 11 pts 8 boards can be replaced next year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We will gtpi. We have more depth in front court this year, which in turn will off set the loss of carter. Like I posted before, his 11 pts 8 boards can be replaced next year.

The problem is not in replacing RC alone but RC, KH, DM. We might, but that's a lot of boards and points to replace.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Losing Kam is addition by subtraction. I loved his effort, but he was way overrated coming out of HS and his injury killed his jumping ability. He may have been the most frustrating player IMO Tech has had. That whole class was frustrating and overrated. Kam wasn't called the black hole because he was a black dude.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
I feel good about this transfer and sorry that Carter left. Carter had his reasons and most likely it was based on positioning or on his health. Perhaps he felt the need to rest his leg another year.
With that said, I believe the team will be a better team than last year.
Defense was mentioned as our positive last year. It will be better this year. This year we have a 270+lb player posted in defense that NO one will run through or around. With his experience, we have a solid Center. His offense has been mentioned several times as minimal in past posts. He killed us when we played him. What does that say for last year's defense of him? What will happen when we make him an important part of our overall offense. When he dunks, it is dunked! His back up is a very good defensive player, blocker and also dunks with authority.
We have a PF, in Sampson, who has experience and height over last year's PF. Sampson was quoted in an earlier article as matching Miller in blocks and defense. (Given it was practice, but it still matters.) His back up has height, agility, and desire. He was quoted as having exceptional athletic ability. Imagine with N'Diaye will do with this guy and all our PF's and C's.
Georges-Hunt will be the man to go to this year. He will be a year more experienced and now the focal point of the team. He is as good as any player in the ACC. His back up is 6 9 and capable of really good minutes.
Bolden somehow lost his feel last year. He has the potential to be great! He can pass with pin point accuracy and when on, can shoot lights out. He is backed up by a solid three point shooter and aggressive player. This pressure will make Bolden better or we have a new SG.
At PG. All I have heard is that Jorgenson is fabulous in quickness, controlling a game and making plays. Before he was hurt, he was our number one PG.
Jorgneson is backed up now by two team players with experience.
Several things add to make this a better team:
1. Our Coaching staff is GREATLY improved with N'Diaye. This man has pro experience and will teach our players things they never thought of before.
2. My greatest assumption is that we will have a healthy team! There is no way this team will be so disseminated with injuries.
3. Winning will make winners.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I guess I have no more faith in CBG and the basketball team, I just don't see us being good next year.

Hope I'm wrong.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
GO TECH
Cox/Lammers
Sampson/Leuye
Georges-Hunt/Stephens
Bolden/Jackson
Jorgenson/Heyward/Heath

Now we win more than eight games. Do we win 21?
No chance, not one person in our front court has ever played a minute for us, and we have absolutely no perimeter scoring. Going to be a looonnnggg season.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I haven't seen Sampson play. It's possible he could give us a good % of what Carter did. I doubt Cox gives us what Miller did. We really, really need Bolden and MGH to step up. We also need Jackson to hit the ground running like a racehorse and we need Stephens to get his grown man strength. Absent all these things we're in trouble. Remember we gotta deal with L'ville too now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hope I am wrong, but the remaining guys on this team are not very good. Not by ACC standards. And any idea that we are improved is wishful thinking. We lost Golden, who was clearly our "go to" guy in almost every clutch situation. We lost all three of our bigs. We lost more subs who played a lot (combined 38 mpg). Of our returning players, MGH is the only one with demonstrated ability to compete. Bolden has some ability, but doesn't always get 100% of himself to the gym. Heyward refuses to score. Stephens might be a decent player with 20-30 more pounds on his body, but is unable, at this weight, to play either the 3 or 4. No one else on our team has any minutes in the ACC.

Of the newcomers, including Jorgenson, I am hopeful. Sampson and Jorgenson and Cox may give us some good minutes. But any idea this trio is better than the starters we lost is, well, silly. Jackson and Lammers are freshmen. Jackson could be the surprise. If so, maybe we won't have to have heroism from Bolden or Jorgenson. Heath shoujld be a good sub, but DO not expect much more.

The bottom line is that we have a "Piketty size" book of questions and a "UNC term paper size" list of answers. Remember, we won six ACC games last year.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I guess I have no more faith in CBG and the basketball team, I just don't see us being good next year.

Hope I'm wrong.

This is where I am at also. I just don't see anything he has done that gives me confidence of next year being any different than the past.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I feel good about this transfer and sorry that Carter left. Carter had his reasons and most likely it was based on positioning or on his health. Perhaps he felt the need to rest his leg another year.
Defense was mentioned as our positive last year. It will be better this year. This year we have a 270+lb player posted in defense that NO one will run through or around. With his experience, we have a solid Center. His offense has been mentioned several times as minimal in past posts. He killed us when we played him. What does that say for last year's defense of him? What will happen when we make him an important part of our overall offense. When he dunks, it is dunked! His back up is a very good defensive player, blocker and also dunks with authority.
We have a PF, in Sampson, who has experience and height over last year's PF. Sampson was quoted in an earlier article as matching Miller in blocks and defense. (Given it was practice, but it still matters.) His back up has height, agility, and desire. He was quoted as having exceptional athletic ability. Imagine with N'Diaye will do with this guy and all our PF's and C's.
Georges-Hunt will be the man to go to this year. He will be a year more experienced and now the focal point of the team. He is as good as any player in the ACC. His back up is 6 9 and capable of really good minutes.
Bolden somehow lost his feel last year. He has the potential to be great! He can pass with pin point accuracy and when on, can shoot lights out. He is backed up by a solid three point shooter and aggressive player. This pressure will make Bolden better or we have a new SG.
At PG. All I have heard is that Jorgenson is fabulous in quickness, controlling a game and making plays. Before he was hurt, he was our number one PG.
1. Our Coaching staff is GREATLY improved with N'Diaye. This man has pro experience and will teach our players things they never thought of before.
2. My greatest assumption is that we will have a healthy team! There is no way this team will be so disseminated with injuries.
I would have to disagree on MGH being a top player in the ACC. He has shown some clutch ability here and there, but fort he most part hasnt become THAT guy yet. Also... Bolden doesnt have potential greatness. He could be productive for us but id rather he come off the bench. Just plays lackadaisical most of the games. Jorg was definitely the #2 PG starting last year... We had Trae Golden ready to roll by then. Im with eric... ive lost all faith in CBG. If the quality of basketball doesnt improve tremendously, he dont stand a chance at another contract. There is a reason Dayton was so good this year. They got rid of the dead weight coaching

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

GREAT POINT WRT TO HIS LEG. couldnt he have sat out a year and made academic strides towards graduation and still retained 2 years of eligibility? maybe not?????