Deion Sanders On The Flats?

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't hate the idea of Deion, but IMO, it's WAY too big of gamble for GT right now. If we mess it up this time, it's probably decades of wandering the dessert like what happened to GT after we left the SEC and before we joined the ACC. With our debt load we're carrying, and the buyout of not only CGC but Chip Long as well (he has a 3 year contract), we have ZERO margin for error.

I'd like to see someone who at least is coaching at the FBS level, even if it's just schools outside of the P5, and has a track record. Well known names like Deion can make a big splash at the lower level, but at the P5 level when teams have equal or more resources (and most teams will have more resources than GT at this point), that splash is temporary and it's more of raindrop in lake as opposed to a raindrop in a bucket of water.

I know I sound like a broken record about the B1G invite we turned down, but this is exactly the scenario I've talked about repeatedly. We most likely would be comfortably net positive on the balance sheet at this point had we accepted the B1G invite a decade ago (estimate of $200+ MILLION in revenue lost). CGC most likely would have been fired last year...in fact, I don't think CGC would have been hired at all if GT is operating with B1G money. LIke I keep saying, more money doesn't automatically make a school better, but it sure as heck helps erase mistakes a LOT quicker. CGC is one of the biggest mistakes in GT sports history. In two years, the decision to turn down the B1G will be even worse when B1G schools start collecting $75 million annually...and it increases from there.
we don’t have the money to hire any proven coaches and so far literally any realistic name brought up carries a similar level of risk to deion just for different reasons. bare minimum i think deion fills the stadium as others have said and we at least would have fun watching it all unfold.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It is a lot easier to go for broke when you are alread broke.

We do not have the resources or the desirabilty to pull a proven coach. We have to deal with what we are at this point. We are the worst team in the ACC currenty.

The only chance we have for a quicker turn around is a flashy hire, like Deion, that pays off.

With Deion we immidiatly become a force in recruiting in Georgia. We will sell out if not every home game next season, damn close to it. Selling out home games would equal about $1million per game just in ticket sales from where we currently are. Deion also more than likely brings his son with him next season, who would have 2 or 3 more seasons and was rated equal to Jeff Sims.

If we could pull it off, Deion is a gamble we can't afford not to take. It would be like turning down the B1G.
Yeah, I don't think now's the time to go into our prevent defense. Imagine this scenario: Deion comes here, turns the program around, and leaves us with a pile of buyout moola when FSU comes to poach him away. Then, we use that badly needed $$ to hire another good coach. And the ball gets rolling again...

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't hate the idea of Deion, but IMO, it's WAY too big of gamble for GT right now. If we mess it up this time, it's probably decades of wandering the dessert like what happened to GT after we left the SEC and before we joined the ACC. With our debt load we're carrying, and the buyout of not only CGC but Chip Long as well (he has a 3 year contract), we have ZERO margin for error.

I'd like to see someone who at least is coaching at the FBS level, even if it's just schools outside of the P5, and has a track record. Well known names like Deion can make a big splash at the lower level, but at the P5 level when teams have equal or more resources (and most teams will have more resources than GT at this point), that splash is temporary and it's more of raindrop in lake as opposed to a raindrop in a bucket of water.

I know I sound like a broken record about the B1G invite we turned down, but this is exactly the scenario I've talked about repeatedly. We most likely would be comfortably net positive on the balance sheet at this point had we accepted the B1G invite a decade ago (estimate of $200+ MILLION in revenue lost). CGC most likely would have been fired last year...in fact, I don't think CGC would have been hired at all if GT is operating with B1G money. LIke I keep saying, more money doesn't automatically make a school better, but it sure as heck helps erase mistakes a LOT quicker. CGC is one of the biggest mistakes in GT sports history. In two years, the decision to turn down the B1G will be even worse when B1G schools start collecting $75 million annually...and it increases from there.
I'm not sure I agree. I think the worst case if we hire Deion is that we get a huge amount of sidewalk fans that watch us still go 3-9. Right now, you can buy an upper north ticket and sit on the home 50 yard line with no questions asked (I did it 2 weeks ago, actually I used the free tickets GTAA sent out). I think Deion can make the connection between the old Dirty Birds vibe and the sidewalk fans in Atlanta.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, I don't think now's the time to go into our prevent defense. Imagine this scenario: Deion comes here, turns the program around, and leaves us with a pile of buyout moola when FSU comes to poach him away. Then, we use that badly needed $$ to hire another good coach. And the ball gets rolling again...
people are scared about being a stepping stone but like you said if that does happen then that probably means we had a lot of fun and a good season and now we get a nice check from tallahassee. he’s not gonna get bought out going 3-9.

SupportPO

Georgia Tech Fan

Chip is on a 2 year deal.

As are Tillman, Daniels, Turner, etc. All the new guys really.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
With Deion we immidiatly become a force in recruiting in Georgia. We will sell out if not every home game next season, damn close to it. Selling out home games would equal about $1million per game just in ticket sales from where we currently are.
Can you imagine Bobby Dodd Stadium rocking and rolling again? That alone will help our chances of pulling out of this rut.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

We do not have the resources or the desirabilty to pull a proven coach. We have to deal with what we are at this point. We are the worst team in the ACC currenty.

The only chance we have for a quicker turn around is a flashy hire, like Deion, that pays off.

With Deion we immidiatly become a force in recruiting in Georgia. We will sell out if not every home game next season, damn close to it. Selling out home games would equal about $1million per game just in ticket sales from where we currently are. Deion also more than likely brings his son with him next season, who would have 2 or 3 more seasons and was rated equal to Jeff Sims.

If we could pull it off, Deion is a gamble we can't afford not to take. It would be like turning down the B1G.

I hated the idea at first, but the more I've read about what Deion has done at JSU and thought about his background in ATL, recruiting, etc. it could be our best shot at turning things around in a big way. Deion has to be about 55 or so. If he came and turned things around in 2 or 3 years, would he leave to go somewhere else at 60? Not sure. So he could potentially be here for 10 years.

Is there a guarantee that it works? No. Is it more than 50/50? Probably lower than that. But if it works, it's a home run. If it doesn't, we likely have more fans and attention than we would with some other run of the mill FCS type coach. so we're basically where we are now. I say go for it for once and see if we hit the home run. It sure wouldn't be boring.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Is there a guarantee that it works? No. Is it more than 50/50? Probably lower than that. But if it works, it's a home run. If it doesn't, we likely have more fans and attention than we would with some other run of the mill FCS type coach. so we're basically where we are now. I say go for it for once and see if we hit the home run. It sure wouldn't be boring.

Yeah, and I really don't think it could be a lot worse than it is today. Sad. I need a beer. Again.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I hated the idea at first, but the more I've read about what Deion has done at JSU and thought about his background in ATL, recruiting, etc. it could be our best shot at turning things around in a big way. Deion has to be about 55 or so. If he came and turned things around in 2 or 3 years, would he leave to go somewhere else at 60? Not sure. So he could potentially be here for 10 years.

If Deion came in next year and just went 6-6, it would probably set us up for our best recruiting class ever in 2024. Collins’ 2020 class was 27th on 247 and 25th on Rivals. Deion could beat that with the public perception that he came in and revived a dead program, along with his already beaming personality. He might actually get GA HS coaches pushing guys to play for Tech instead of away from Tech. Plus, he would definitely attract attention in the transfer portal. There would be more energy around GT football than there has been since 98-2000.

I just think it has to be either Deion or Chadwell. Deion is the quick shot of adrenaline and a short term fix. Chadwell is the long-term foundation builder who stays for 10+ years with success close to what CPJ did. If we did get Deion, I can’t see him staying more than 2-3 years if he’s successful. A span of something like 6-6, 8-4 might be enough to get him out of here considering the current state of the program. But after that we’d have some buyout money to play with, and a much more attractive situation so we could hire a much better coach.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
If Deion came in next year and just went 6-6, it would probably set us up for our best recruiting class ever in 2024. Collins’ 2020 class was 27th on 247 and 25th on Rivals. Deion could beat that with the public perception that he came in and revived a dead program, along with his already beaming personality. He might actually get GA HS coaches pushing guys to play for Tech instead of away from Tech. Plus, he would definitely attract attention in the transfer portal. There would be more energy around GT football than there has been since 98-2000.

I just think it has to be either Deion or Chadwell. Deion is the quick shot of adrenaline and a short term fix. Chadwell is the long-term foundation builder who stays for 10+ years with success close to what CPJ did. If we did get Deion, I can’t see him staying more than 2-3 years if he’s successful. A span of something like 6-6, 8-4 might be enough to get him out of here considering the current state of the program. But after that we’d have some buyout money to play with, and a much more attractive situation so we could hire a much better coach.

Right now, I'd take that.

GTsapper

Georgia Tech Fan

Spot on

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I see zero risk in going after Deion. Zero.

Collins was a gamble. Never built a program up from scratch like Deion and always left after 2 years, except for Tech where Collins has been twice as long as anywhere else.

Yes, I’m overstating the case, but let me ask you this, who is more likely to turn the program around at this point, Deion Sanders or Geoffrey Collins?

What a national story this could be!

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Pittman has a DC that is paid $1.75 million and an OC that is paid $1.2 million and he himself can recruit and coach the heck out of an OL. We don't have to kind of money to hire a figurehead recruiter like Prime and get P5 head coach level candidates at coordinator. We apparently are arguing over $3million extra just to fire the dude we have right now. The HC here needs to be really great at some aspect of coaching, either on the offense or defense, so that we can get the most out of the little money we have. We are too poor to follow the Arkansas model.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I am ready to give up on college football entirely. Seems an oxymoron to have "student-athletes" and expected concussions.

In any event, let's go back to the past and give Deion a share of the ticket proceeds. Heisman got that as I recall. That way performance is rewarded by what counts most - attendance and caring. Win and they will come.

JacketFan137

Banned
Pittman has a DC that is paid $1.75 million and an OC that is paid $1.2 million and he himself can recruit and coach the heck out of an OL. We don't have to kind of money to hire a figurehead recruiter like Prime and get P5 head coach level candidates at coordinator. We apparently are arguing over $3million extra just to fire the dude we have right now. The HC here needs to be really great at some aspect of coaching, either on the offense or defense, so that we can get the most out of the little money we have. We are too poor to follow the Arkansas model.
if we hired deion it wouldn’t surprise me if more money was available from somewhere else

GTsapper

Georgia Tech Fan
if we hired deion it wouldn’t surprise me if more money was available from somewhere else
Exactly. Think of how fired up the Tech fan base would be. They're not getting any more of my money at all right now. Not until they fix this crap. But you hire Deion... I'm not rich, but I don't even need any GTAA emails - I'll be calling you. And the guys with more money than I have will be too, I think.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
If money is an issue, and it always is, Deion would know what well to dig in.

And just a thought dump. As far as attendance, because he seems to ver active in the community, and one way to boost attendance and get some more local sidewalk fans for the future could be to work with local youth programs to get them tickets to where nobody is sitting. This will 1- give us good community relations, 2- make our stadium at least look more full, 3- perhaps most importantly, make sure opposing teams aren’t making our stadium look like an away game