Deion Sanders On The Flats?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The Dan Mullen we skull ****** in the Orange Bowl? I like Dan and Sorry to be contrarian, but I think the game caught up to Dan and passed him by. He did accumulate quite a bit of talent at MissSt, but that was because of.........I'm not going to say it.
And how many points did they score on us? You know we beat them without their DC (Geoff who had already left for Temple), i’m not so sure you should blame that loss on Mullins.

What was Mullins’ record at FLA again? We would kill for that right level of mediocrity right now.

JacketFan137

Banned

been watching a lot of jackson state/deion content since i want to feel let down just to feel something again.

understandably there’s a lot of questions about his gameday coaching but interviews like this tell me he really cares about the program he’s working with and he has good values

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Ask yourself this. WHY would Deion stake his burgeoning coaching reputation on fixing a thoroughly broken program at GT? There will be far better and easier upward steps for Deion to take with far less risk involved. Give him another year or two where he's at and SEC schools will likely be calling him.

Atlanta
History in Atlanta
Large African American community in Atlanta
Easier path to CFP in the ACC
Large media market
Access to national media when they come to town for NFL, MLB and NBA game
He is preaching academics
Recruiting top athletes in ATL and GA

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta
History in Atlanta
Large media market
And, even if it may be easier for him to win elsewhere right away, maybe he wants a challenge. I want someone who wants a challenge.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Atlanta
History in Atlanta
Large media market

FWIW, I think the ATL is the ONLY reason we would have a chance at Deion...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If no other reason than we're in ATL, I would say yes.
One thing in our favor - not many fans and boosters will be lamenting the departure of Collins. So, he should have a reasonably united fanbase if/when he begins. Warning for Deion: Wear socks and loose pants. And don't bring branded drink cups to press conferences. In other words, be more like Paul Johnson than Jeff Collins. Especially on the scoreboard.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
And how many points did they score on us? You know we beat them without their DC (Geoff who had already left for Temple), i’m not so sure you should blame that loss on Mullins.

What was Mullins’ record at FLA again? We would kill for that right level of mediocrity right now.
I believe he was 34 - 15 at Florida. Admirable job for sure. Like I said, I like Dan Mullen, he's a very good coach. I've just never seen him do demonstrably more with less so to say. Personally, I think that's required for us to have even a modicum of success. Master of the obvious, I know. In fairness, I can't recall that he's ever had the opportunity to prove that he could or couldn't do more with less. No doubt the talent level was light years better at Miss St when he left vs when he got there, but I think it's safe to say there are effectively zero similarities in recruiting to GT vs Miss St. We need to find that unicorn.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
One thing in our favor - not many fans and boosters will be lamenting the departure of Collins. So, he should have a reasonably united fanbase if/when he begins. Warning for Deion: Wear socks and loose pants. And don't bring branded drink cups to press conferences. In other words, be more like Paul Johnson than Jeff Collins. Especially on the scoreboard.

This is Deion at the press conference when he signed with the (former) Washington Redskins. Don't think he'd be showing up in skinny pants, sleeveless hoodie vest with undershirt and no socks. That is for sure!! He likely would bring branding to his press conferences, but that would be team and/or player sponsors.

1663781404466.png

JacketFan137

Banned
I am beginning to think the only way that TStan saves his job is if he locks down Deion before the end of the year.

I would be akin to keeping a coach because he has a top 5 recruiting class
deion or another coach that can satisfy people with a lot of money. i don’t think a g5 coach, washed out sec journeyman (muschamp), or guy no one has ever heard of will be enough. gonna have to be a splash if he wants his job longer

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Don't know enough about Deion as a coach to know if he'd be good for GT.

FWIW, what I do recall reading about is folks in the Braves organization saying Deion's flashy style hides an incredibly hard-working individual. Work ethic as well as competitiveness are important in a coach. So there's that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't hate the idea of Deion, but IMO, it's WAY too big of gamble for GT right now. If we mess it up this time, it's probably decades of wandering the dessert like what happened to GT after we left the SEC and before we joined the ACC. With our debt load we're carrying, and the buyout of not only CGC but Chip Long as well (he has a 3 year contract), we have ZERO margin for error.

I'd like to see someone who at least is coaching at the FBS level, even if it's just schools outside of the P5, and has a track record. Well known names like Deion can make a big splash at the lower level, but at the P5 level when teams have equal or more resources (and most teams will have more resources than GT at this point), that splash is temporary and it's more of raindrop in lake as opposed to a raindrop in a bucket of water.

I know I sound like a broken record about the B1G invite we turned down, but this is exactly the scenario I've talked about repeatedly. We most likely would be comfortably net positive on the balance sheet at this point had we accepted the B1G invite a decade ago (estimate of $200+ MILLION in revenue lost). CGC most likely would have been fired last year...in fact, I don't think CGC would have been hired at all if GT is operating with B1G money. LIke I keep saying, more money doesn't automatically make a school better, but it sure as heck helps erase mistakes a LOT quicker. CGC is one of the biggest mistakes in GT sports history. In two years, the decision to turn down the B1G will be even worse when B1G schools start collecting $75 million annually...and it increases from there.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't hate the idea of Deion, but IMO, it's WAY too big of gamble for GT right now. If we mess it up this time, it's probably decades of wandering the dessert like what happened to GT after we left the SEC and before we joined the ACC. With our debt load we're carrying, and the buyout of not only CGC but Chip Long as well (he has a 3 year contract), we have ZERO margin for error.

I'd like to see someone who at least is coaching at the FBS level, even if it's just schools outside of the P5, and has a track record. Well known names like Deion can make a big splash at the lower level, but at the P5 level when teams have equal or more resources (and most teams will have more resources than GT at this point), that splash is temporary and it's more of raindrop in lake as opposed to a raindrop in a bucket of water.

I know I sound like a broken record about the B1G invite we turned down, but this is exactly the scenario I've talked about repeatedly. We most likely would be comfortably net positive on the balance sheet at this point had we accepted the B1G invite a decade ago (estimate of $200+ MILLION in revenue lost). CGC most likely would have been fired last year...in fact, I don't think CGC would have been hired at all if GT is operating with B1G money. LIke I keep saying, more money doesn't automatically make a school better, but it sure as heck helps erase mistakes a LOT quicker. CGC is one of the biggest mistakes in GT sports history. In two years, the decision to turn down the B1G will be even worse when B1G schools start collecting $75 million annually...and it increases from there.
It is a lot easier to go for broke when you are alread broke.

We do not have the resources or the desirabilty to pull a proven coach. We have to deal with what we are at this point. We are the worst team in the ACC currenty.

The only chance we have for a quicker turn around is a flashy hire, like Deion, that pays off.

With Deion we immidiatly become a force in recruiting in Georgia. We will sell out if not every home game next season, damn close to it. Selling out home games would equal about $1million per game just in ticket sales from where we currently are. Deion also more than likely brings his son with him next season, who would have 2 or 3 more seasons and was rated equal to Jeff Sims.

If we could pull it off, Deion is a gamble we can't afford not to take. It would be like turning down the B1G.