Deion Sanders On The Flats?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
if deion is too much for us then we gotta start having conversations about joining the sunbelt or patriot league cause it will be clear we are no longer interested in being a serious college football program

Ask yourself this. WHY would Deion stake his burgeoning coaching reputation on fixing a thoroughly broken program at GT? There will be far better and easier upward steps for Deion to take with far less risk involved. Give him another year or two where he's at and SEC schools will likely be calling him.

JacketFan137

Banned
Ask yourself this. WHY would Deion stake his burgeoning coaching reputation on fixing a thoroughly broken program at GT? There will be far better and easier upward steps for Deion to take with far less risk involved. Give him another year or two where he's at and SEC schools will likely be calling him.
i still maintain that this is nowhere near the unsalvageable mess that some think. this is a roster right now that could win 7 games with an average coach. a good coach that could come in and work some portal magic could easily take this team past that.

he has also shown he’s not afraid of projects. jackson state was not exactly the best team in the world and deion came in wanting to grow the game at the hbcu level. i think he cares a lot about legacy and knows he could go down as a legend if he rights the ship. he’s also not even getting paid a whole lot so this would be the chance to swoop in before competition gets too tough for us.

if tech athletics wants to be taken seriously period then hire has to be immediately impressive off the rip. there will not be any grace period or any wait and see type of talk if they want fans to care

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
i still maintain that this is nowhere near the unsalvageable mess that some think. this is a roster right now that could win 7 games with an average coach. a good coach that could come in and work some portal magic could easily take this team past that.

he has also shown he’s not afraid of projects. jackson state was not exactly the best team in the world and deion came in wanting to grow the game at the hbcu level. i think he cares a lot about legacy and knows he could go down as a legend if he rights the ship. he’s also not even getting paid a whole lot so this would be the chance to swoop in before competition gets too tough for us.

if tech athletics wants to be taken seriously period then hire has to be immediately impressive off the rip. there will not be any grace period or any wait and see type of talk if they want fans to care

I don't disagree in principle with anything you just stated. The main difference is that at Jackson State Deion will be given EVERY opportunity to succeed. If he has a bad year or two, his cache will allow him to shrug it off and move forward. If he comes to a school like a GT, Vandy, or other P5 cellar dweller and doesn't immediately produce results, those fanbases will turn on him in a hurry, and his reputation will suffer. Prime Time is building a brand around himself as much as Jackson State. He's, IMO, not going to risk tarnishing it by coming here.

Now, IF we were to find the money to lure him, it would be a homerun hire for sure.

And no, I don't think this roster is unsalvageable, but I don't think our OL or WR corps is able to win games for us, and the OL can actively lose them for us.

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't disagree in principle with anything you just stated. The main difference is that at Jackson State Deion will be given EVERY opportunity to succeed. If he has a bad year or two, his cache will allow him to shrug it off and move forward. If he comes to a school like a GT, Vandy, or other P5 cellar dweller and doesn't immediately produce results, those fanbases will turn on him in a hurry, and his reputation will suffer. Prime Time is building a brand around himself as much as Jackson State. He's, IMO, not going to risk tarnishing it by coming here.

Now, IF we were to find the money to lure him, it would be a homerun hire for sure.

And no, I don't think this roster is unsalvageable, but I don't think our OL or WR corps is able to win games for us, and the OL can actively lose them for us.
that’s fair. i just think the bar for tech success is so low. if he averages 7 wins a season he’ll have matched our last two guys and that is enough for most of our fans

side note our section at the games is most concerned about our pass catchers. sims has his shortcomings but for some reason every other team we watch on sundays and saturdays has open men down field. i don’t think our guys separate at all.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
side note our section at the games is most concerned about our pass catchers. sims has his shortcomings but for some reason every other team we watch on sundays and saturdays has open men down field. i don’t think our guys separate at all.

WR play has been dismal. A lot has been thrown out about our QB play, and Sims didn't shine at all in the WCU game, but in both the Clemson and Ole Miss games our OL was a mess. We can't hold a pocket long enough for our WRs to get separation and the WRs we have aren't getting it fast enough and aren't winning contested balls. Right now our offense is going to be screens and short slants with a TE seam every now and then.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
WR play has been dismal. A lot has been thrown out about our QB play, and Sims didn't shine at all in the WCU game, but in both the Clemson and Ole Miss games our OL was a mess. We can't hold a pocket long enough for our WRs to get separation and the WRs we have aren't getting it fast enough and aren't winning contested balls. Right now our offense is going to be screens and short slants with a TE seam every now and then.
yep, this sums up our passing game perfectly...

GTBlaze

Banned

I’ve actually been kind of impressed with the WR to be honest with you. I have seen a few catches made that would not have been the past few seasons

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’ve actually been kind of impressed with the WR to be honest with you. I have seen a few catches made that would not have been the past few seasons

There are bright spots to be sure. McCollum is impressing, and Rutherford has had some catches worth noting. Carter should be doing a LOT better than he is. Still doing poorly as a whole.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Some really good snags in that last game - one of the bright spots. WR is the least of our worries right now. OL is a huge problem.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, but it's worth a shot. Who knows? Maybe he would like to return to Hotlanta. Maybe he sees the recruiting potential of Atlanta, and maybe he wants a challenge. Yeah, another year or two and it'll be too late. He who hesitates is lost.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Some really good snags in that last game - one of the bright spots. WR is the least of our worries right now. OL is a huge problem.

WR is a bigger worry than people might want to admit. We weren't winning battles against WCU. Outside of McCollum and maybe Rutherford, our WR corps has not played or graded well. They need to step up quickly.

OL, as has been stated, is the true Achilles Heel...

JacketFan137

Banned
WR is a bigger worry than people might want to admit. We weren't winning battles against WCU. Outside of McCollum and maybe Rutherford, our WR corps has not played or graded well. They need to step up quickly.

OL, as has been stated, is the true Achilles Heel...
i’m a ravens fan and WR has been a huge issue for lamar’s whole career here. for some reason i think it must just be old school mentality of everything being about trenches and defense but it cannot be understated how much it helps your OC and QB when the WRs are quality players.

we watch teams get 30 yards after the catch, guys turning slants and screens into 20+ yard gains and i genuinely don’t know that any of our guys will ever do that.

even the bright spots like mccollum and ej are very limited and are way too niche in their abilities to really be focal point of an offense.

it’s a real shame gowdy never made it on campus and blackburn has been hurt the whole time. i don’t think their presence makes us a 8 win team or anything but sims and longs job would be a lot easier if they had actual weapons

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh man, I REALLY disagree with this. I do think it's been since 2006 that we had a good receiving corps, though, so perhaps my standards are unrealistically high. We've had good individuals since, namely Thomas Smelter and to a lesser extent Hill, but by and large we've never had more than one weapon at a time. Right now we have a committee of underperformers. They don't get separation, they don't block well in the run game, they don't sell play games convincingly, and they don't adjust to the ball in the air. That mediocrity stands out is not a good sign.

JacketFan137

Banned
Oh man, I REALLY disagree with this. I do think it's been since 2006 that we had a good receiving corps, though, so perhaps my standards are unrealistically high. We've had good individuals since, namely Thomas Smelter and to a lesser extent Hill, but by and large we've never had more than one weapon at a time. Right now we have a committee of underperformers. They don't get separation, they don't block well in the run game, they don't sell play games convincingly, and they don't adjust to the ball in the air. That mediocrity stands out is not a good sign.
i think some of it is scheme cause we haven’t seen any good mismatches or any busted coverages in years.

we also don’t run good routes, our releases are terrible and our guys have hips stiffer than a statue. playmaking in general is just a massive weakness for our team and we are rarely getting chunk yardage

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
2014 had Smelter and Waller on the field at the same time. Definitely the best year for WR since Calvin was on the flats.

JacketFan137

Banned
2014 had Smelter and Waller on the field at the same time. Definitely the best year for WR since Calvin was on the flats.
it’s a shame waller was battling some personal demons at tech. in the nfl we obviously know he’s a monster but man would have been nice to see that on the flats lol

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

So we are running the saints offense with brees?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll be honest, an average coach isn't coming close to 7 wins at GT.
IMO CPJ, CCG, CGO'L and CBR were all well above average college coaches.
In order to win 7-8 games a year GT needs above avg coaching, not avg coaching.
GT will never be more than a middle of the pack P5 recruiting program - and frankly it has mostly been less than that (even under CGC - who has only managed one above avg class, and not by alot in his 4 seasons).
In order to win consistently at GT you have to have above avg game day coaching and above avg player development.

As far as this team, my biggest concerns coming into the season were the OL and DL and they have largely done worse than my fears, but overall this is not a very talented roster (despite what 247sports may say as it relies too much on HS rankings to build that stat). I don't think the talent we brought in through the portal is anything special and frankly is consistently underperforming.

The entire O looks worse than last year and how much to pin that on the OL - which is certainly worse than last year's addition and how much to pin on the WR and RB groups (who both have been lackluster at best) is personal opinion. IMO neither McDuffie or Hall look like P5 starting caliber RB's. Among the receivers - McCollum is by far the best - but he is just a slot guy. None of the outside guys have really impressed or showed any ability to get open consistently.