Deion Sanders On The Flats?

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
IMO, that's the most d@mning aspect of CGC's tenure. He made his reputation on his defensive prowess...but he's been worse on defense than the much maligned Ted Roof. Think about that. That's like hiring CPJ but his offenses failing to the bottom of college football rankings. CPJ wasn't the best recruiter, but his offenses were often in the top 30 for OFEI, with multiple years in the top 15-20.

We were #1 in 2014. Then they changed the calculation (really) and we ended up #2.

/

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Deion could be really good or really bad. If hired he would need to bring in a top tier OC and DC. His recruiting would probably be really good but not sure about his coaching on this level yet. He would also be like Collins in the sense of building a brand and being all about ATL. With this being said, he could be worth the shot if he would take the job. I don't see Shawn Elliot being the guy to come in and fix the program. Guys like O'Brien, Malzahn, Mullen that have been mentioned, wouldn't be exciting but would come in and compete and win some games. O'Brien would go back to the NFL as soon as he had the chance. I think if we go offense, Tom Herman, Kendal Briles would be interesting names. On defense I think Schumann is at least worth calling. I think we would all agree that we would hire in a minute and I would at least reach out to him but not sure if he would even take a phone call

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
IMO, that's the most d@mning aspect of CGC's tenure. He made his reputation on his defensive prowess...but he's been worse on defense than the much maligned Ted Roof. Think about that. That's like hiring CPJ but his offenses failing to the bottom of college football rankings. CPJ wasn't the best recruiter, but his offenses were often in the top 30 for OFEI, with multiple years in the top 15-20.
It's inexplicable. Almost like he didn't care after signing the contract that put him in clover. Fits what we know of his snake-oil salesman persona, too.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
We’ll probably decide we want him about 30 minutes after it’s announced he’s going somewhere else.
That sounds about right. 😂

Hypothetically speaking, if CGC was fired today and we needed an immediate full-time replacement, Deion may be one of the only coaching candidates in the country that could fill BDS for our remaining home games. That could take some of the sting out of buying out Collins.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I remember watching Randall Cobb single-handedly win games for a pretty bad Kentucky team because the coaches were creative in getting him the ball. With how mediocre the ACC coastal has been, I still think a good coach could have managed 6 wins last year when he still had Gibbs.

The most damning thing for the transition narrative is Collins actually did recruit as advertised early on. He had talent pretty quickly. His gameday coaching is just unbelievably bad.
I think even worse than his gameday coaching must be his prep work for gameday, how he runs pracrice, and his complete lack of discipline.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Hypothetically speaking, if CGC was fired today and we needed an immediate full-time replacement, Deion may be one of the only coaching candidates in the country that could fill BDS for our remaining home games. That could take some of the sting out of buying out Collins.
If Deion is the quality man we think he is, he won’t leave his current team midseason.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck

I don't think Deion would leave mid-season. He seems to be very loyal to his school and HBCUs. But it would be interesting for an agreement to be reached with Deion, let him play out the season at Jackson St. and still help with recruiting at Georgia Tech. Obviously it would be tough to do both but other coaches have stayed at their current colleges for the remainder of the season while committing to other schools. A real long shot to be sure.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Is Deion winning because of his coaching chops or because he is out talenting teams? I don’t pay enough attention to know if that is or isn’t the case.

He may pickup recruiting to a degree at tech, but not enough to just outright beat other teaMs imo. If he wasn’t who he is. Would we want him based on qualifications?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think Deion is somebody we could raise money from boosters to have a swing at. We may be the most attractive to him of the current options if he is interested in moving on and doing so right now.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Is Deion winning because of his coaching chops or because he is out talenting teams? I don’t pay enough attention to know if that is or isn’t the case.

He may pickup recruiting to a degree at tech, but not enough to just outright beat other teaMs imo. If he wasn’t who he is. Would we want him based on qualifications?
Honestly, that level of football looks a bit like 7 on 7 camps. I would certainly have problems with just bringing his current coordinators.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think Deion is somebody we could raise money from boosters to have a swing at. We may be the most attractive to him of the current options if he is interested in moving on and doing so right now.
Deion is a huge gamble, if he turns out to be another Geoff it could kill Tech fb. Give me a proven, steady boring coach like Dan Mullin, hell i’d welcome Chan Gailey back with open arms at this point.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Just curious, is there any precedent of a school firing a coach mid season, and going ahead and snagging (announcing) their guy, who is also the HC at another school, while there are games left to be played?

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Deion is a huge gamble, if he turns out to be another Geoff it could kill Tech fb. Give me a proven, steady boring coach like Dan Mullin, hell i’d welcome Chan Gailey back with open arms at this point.
The Dan Mullen we skull ****** in the Orange Bowl? I like Dan and Sorry to be contrarian, but I think the game caught up to Dan and passed him by. He did accumulate quite a bit of talent at MissSt, but that was because of.........I'm not going to say it.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
It all seems like a bunch of rumors even from what I have heard now. After thinking about it for myself it just seems unlikely that Deion would leave an HBCU to go somewhere like Tech or Auburn especially since he is essentially giving away his Jackson State salary along with assistants like Mike Zimmer literally not being paid. I'm not sure he has any desire to take the 'traditional' coaching route and has said in the past that he wants to help historically black colleges take a step up in athletics and relevance. Why would he honestly want to come to Tech? This is just my stream of consciousness on the topic.