Deion Sanders On The Flats?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how much it was pushed into him. This is purely speculation, but TStan has repeatedly mentioned how important marketing of the program is, and the foundation of his method at Oregon State and UCF. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that that's what really made CGC an attractive candidate for him.
You don't hire your car mechanic to operate on your heart. Same goes for football coaches. If you need better marketing, hire yourself a better marketing girl. Your coach is supposed to be coaching football and working with the marketing girl to promote the program, not running marketing. You wouldn't dream of calling up the marketing girl to decide what play to run although in our case our coach may have been better off doing just that. If Stansbury did what you suggest above, it's just another reason not to trust his judgment.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You don't hire your car mechanic to operate on your heart. Same goes for football coaches. If you need better marketing, hire yourself a better marketing girl. Your coach is supposed to be coaching football and working with the marketing girl to promote the program, not running marketing. You wouldn't dream of calling up the marketing girl to decide what play to run although in our case our coach may have been better off doing just that. If Stansbury did what you suggest above, it's just another reason not to trust his judgment.
Keep in mind, as I said, it was purely speculation by me.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Neon Deion isn't going anywhere to be someone's DC. If he's going anywhere it's going to be as a HC.
Right! It amazes me how many folks say things like… “Maybe we can get Deion here as DC and HC in waiting.” And things like… “Maybe we can get Paul back and Geoff can stay on as DC and recruiting coordinator.”

That’s like saying “My wife isn’t pleased with our love life, so we’re gonna bring this other dude in to take care of business while I stay on taking care of the kids and the yard because I’m a good and loyal father and husband.”

For the most part, head football coaches are alphas. Not in the cards.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Having a charismatic coach who understands selling the brand is a benefit but you are right, they need to be too busy coaching to run the marketing department.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
That’s like saying “My wife isn’t pleased with our love life, so we’re gonna bring this other dude in to take care of business while I stay on taking care of the kids and the yard because I’m a good and loyal father and husband.”

After cleaning up the coffee, I'm just speechless 😶

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Having a "name guy" as head coach and getting a lot of kids wanting to come to GT for football would be great. That said, Deion is 53 years old and has one year of college coaching. I would like to see how he does next season before getting too excited about him at a P5 school. But, mostly, I just hope we aren't looking for a new coach this Fall.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
But, mostly, I just hope we aren't looking for a new coach this Fall.
I hear you, but I can’t see us starting the search until we’ve played at least 3-4 games. Summer is over by then and we’ll be into fall most likely.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What’s your point? Never take a risk? For every crypto story there is a story about someone who bought Coke stock when it was a dollar a share and left millions for their children.

I understand if you make the case that Sanders is not likely to ever be a decent coach or that he is currently being overhyped. I disagree but that is a legitimate point of view. But I don’t understand just categorically being against trying something new. It worked when we brought in CPJ and I was skeptical at the time about that.
1. Coke is a real product with real demand. The crypto craze is more like the Dutch tuple mania. It's ok to take a flier, but you have to be careful on what.

2. I'm not against trying something new, especially after the last three years. And I was pleased as punch when Paul came to Tech. But … there's substantial party out there that doesn't want to have to go back on the "we need to look more like everybody else to get good football players, win national championships. etc." line that led to the present situation. Ok, if that's the way it has to be played, then Mullen is way the best choice. Like I said, I don't think Deion would know what to do with the Tech job if he took it. I expect he knows that too.

Btw, I'm pulling for Bohannon or Moncken to get the post if we fall on our face again and going back to successful football. But there isn't much chance of that, imho.

JacketFan137

Banned
Same tired old excuse. Lol.

As others eluded to, the guy now at UVA said he was interested, but not contacted.
tony elliot was bad at clemson and people wanted him fired this season. that hire would have gone pretty similar to the collins situation but many users here have elevated elliot to some great coach just cause his name isn’t geoff collins

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
1. Coke is a real product with real demand. The crypto craze is more like the Dutch tuple mania. It's ok to take a flier, but you have to be careful on what.

2. I'm not against trying something new, especially after the last three years. And I was pleased as punch when Paul came to Tech. But … there's substantial party out there that doesn't want to have to go back on the "we need to look more like everybody else to get good football players, win national championships. etc." line that led to the present situation. Ok, if that's the way it has to be played, then Mullen is way the best choice. Like I said, I don't think Deion would know what to do with the Tech job if he took it. I expect he knows that too.

Btw, I'm pulling for Bohannon or Moncken to get the post if we fall on our face again and going back to successful football. But there isn't much chance of that, imho.
Sure. I don’t disagree with you in principle, just saying that some risks pay off and some don’t. If the Collins risk doesn’t pay off I don’t think that should mean you never ever take another risk. Sanders is a risk I would be willing to try. Of course I could be wrong. That’s why it’s a risk.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
tony elliot was bad at clemson and people wanted him fired this season. that hire would have gone pretty similar to the collins situation but many users here have elevated elliot to some great coach just cause his name isn’t geoff collins
yep, so bad he won 2 national championships as offensive coordinator and a broyles award in 2017.

JacketFan137

Banned
What about Urban Meyer?
urban meyer is the textbook definition of a “buy low” his stock is down to the absolute basement after being one of the unquestioned worst nfl coaches ever. i wouldn’t be opposed the only thing is that he is never gonna be a long term solution. we would have to be prepared for him to dart in 2 years when he’s rehabbed his image with us and goes on to take a job at texas/florida/usc/whoever is gonna pay up. if we’re ok with that it wouldn’t be the worst option

Deleted member 4558

JacketFan137

Banned
I think most of us could’ve done similar with what he had to work with.
yeah things looked significantly different when the team no longer had first round talent like deshaun, trevor lawrence and etienne. clemson spent most of the season looking awful on offense and was the only team not to score 20 points on us. if collins made our defense so bad and ran us into the ground how come tony elliot couldn’t score on geoff collins? and i’m supposed to believe that he was gonna be some great hire? child please

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
yeah things looked significantly different when the team no longer had first round talent like deshaun, trevor lawrence and etienne. clemson spent most of the season looking awful on offense and was the only team not to score 20 points on us. if collins made our defense so bad and ran us into the ground how come tony elliot couldn’t score on geoff collins? and i’m supposed to believe that he was gonna be some great hire? child please
please name a coach that's teams have never had bad games, i'll wait...