Film Room Defensive Breakdown vs UGA pt. 2. So what changed in the 4th qtr.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
This is fantastic. I've had a ton of people ask why uga threw it on 2nd and 8 and its hard to say we were stuffing the box, but seeing how we did it was great

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks! Is it fair to say that we were able to cut those running plays (in the last 10 minutes of the game) down to 2-3 yards per run from 6-7 yards per run earlier in the game because we were selling out to stop the run and weren't as concerned with Eason's ability to hurt us passing? Whereas earlier in the game we were a bit more on our heals for fear of UGAg's passing game?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Thanks! Is it fair to say that we were able to cut those running plays (in the last 10 minutes of the game) down to 2-3 yards per run from 6-7 yards per run earlier in the game because we were selling out to stop the run and weren't as concerned with Eason's ability to hurt us passing? Whereas earlier in the game we were a bit more on our heals for fear of UGAg's passing game?

Not really because we didnt do anything different. Just better execution or UGA Oline got less aggressive because they thought the game was over

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Compare the first vid push to the 4th qtr push UGA OLine was getting and you will understand why they may have decided to pass.

Thanks Ibee! Very informative for those of us who are only casual students of the game. I do have one question that you do not have to answer because there is no way to really know: Why do you think Coach Johnson called timeout before the last play? Was it to make sure everyone was where they were supposed to be or did he have a particular reason in your opinion? Also, do you think it will be difficult (if not impossible) to replace Pat and PJ? Again, thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Thanks Ibee! Very informative for those of us who are only casual students of the game. I do have one question that you do not have to answer because there is no way to really know: Why do you think Coach Johnson called timeout before the last play? Was it to make sure everyone was where they were supposed to be or did he have a particular reason in your opinion? Also, do you think it will be difficult (if not impossible) to replace Pat and PJ? Again, thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Probably just for a look UGA formation and to remind guys of certain things. Im pretty sure UGA/Cheney has film on his Hail Mary plays.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Compare the first vid push to the 4th qtr push UGA OLine was getting and you will understand why they may have decided to pass.

Thanks for this, I was wondering myself why we had freeman in coverage, or even pj, it seems you would want some fast guys who can cover more ground in coverage instead. I have wondered this about our 3rd and long situations as well.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

I'd love to get your thoughts on our linebacker play. Obviously the oline was in their lap during the uga game, but throughout the season...did you see improvement? Do you think our challenges are personnel or coaching? I feel guys like 51 may have regressed year over year.

Any room for optimism next year?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'd love to get your thoughts on our linebacker play. Obviously the oline was in their lap during the uga game, but throughout the season...did you see improvement? Do you think our challenges are personnel or coaching? I feel guys like 51 may have regressed year over year.

Any room for optimism next year?

Honestly I didn't see much improvement. It was a play here and there never any consistency.

I think it's both. Not as much athleticism from the starters as I initially thought. But there is a guys on the bench that may improve that. I believe the coaches also has added some paralysis by analysis too

There is plenty of room for optimism. Experience is the best teacher. Now with 13 games of live film to get better from this should catapult Brant and co. into wanting to be the best in league

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the breakdown @Ibeeballin. You made the statement at around the 4:00 mark that Lawrence was at WLB and you didn't understand why we were playing nickel against their jumbo package. That WLB was actually PJ Davis and we were in the base 4-3. I was wondering the same thing at first.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin the busted coverage / dropped pass by UGA TE #18 Nauta.... I wouldn't have had Freeman in their playing coverage. I'm sure as a DE he doesn't do a tremendous amount of film study of coverage breakdown. You are right it was almost a really bad situation for us on that play.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin the busted coverage / dropped pass by UGA TE #18 Nauta.... I wouldn't have had Freeman in their playing coverage. I'm sure as a DE he doesn't do a tremendous amount of film study of coverage breakdown. You are right it was almost a really bad situation for us on that play.

We also had Andree in there earlier in prevent pass coverage. I was expecting the backup safeties or corners (J Johnson, Campbell, Kagawa, L Simmons) to be in there and replacing our slower LBs on those last few plays.