Defense regression

LibertyTurns

Banned
How did we go from a "high school" offense to a high school defense?
It’s the GT way.

We got O’Leary a defensive expert & a great offense/ no D
Then we get Gomer an offensive genius so we get awesome D’s and no offense.
Next up’s Johnson a TO guru & wow we get a good offense, but D disappears faster than he could spit.
No we got another defensive dude & D’s in the crapper even worse than before. Offense appears to be showing signs of life.

In my lifetime I hope to see both again.

Jolly Good Fellow
Steam
I think our best bet is to go full Joe Lee Dunn/Charlie Strong and run an attacking 3-3-5...which is really a 3-5-3.....bring at least 6 on every play.....bring 8 at least once a series.....only down 3 take on blockers...everyone else speed rushes thru gaps around OLmen and off edge past RBs who aren't really interested in blocking anyone anyhow.....get our 6'3 220# flying upfield....sure, you get burned a couple of times per game but , WTF, we are giving up 40+ per game now trying to be Alabama on defense....let's use our over-sized safeties and under-sized LBs to create some negative plays....

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Steam
I think our best bet is to go full Joe Lee Dunn/Charlie Strong and run an attacking 3-3-5...which is really a 3-5-3.....bring at least 6 on every play.....bring 8 at least once a series.....only down 3 take on blockers...everyone else speed rushes thru gaps around OLmen and off edge past RBs who aren't really interested in blocking anyone anyhow.....get our 6'3 220# flying upfield....sure, you get burned a couple of times per game but , WTF, we are giving up 40+ per game now trying to be Alabama on defense....let's use our over-sized safeties and under-sized LBs to create some negative plays....
would ok but first we need to find 11 players who can tackle

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Freshmen are playing and a lot of sophs.
No linebackers or defensive backs. No recovery or catchup speed.. no pass rush, no side line to side speed on the field. We wanted to recruit size ,length and speed . Losing you a$$es off lets put on the if not now you start next year with the same problem with them learning on the field getting beat out of position.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I just hate 5 DBs when you have no pass rush. What’s the point of the extra DB when you give QB all day to throw? Get another Rusher on the field. 4-3 with True OLB play, not two MLBs. Imagine Knight Curry/Ques and Chico all on the field at once. Gives you more length and hell we can get any slower at LB anyway.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
There was one play yesterday where I literally laughed, both our linebackers ran to the wrong side of the field and then made semi circles to go chase the ball. I think my grandmother has more moves then curry, and watching him just oof on that sack he could’ve had yesterday is something I’ve just come to accept as textbook curry, until we have a clue on defense it won’t matter how much we can score

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the problem is both coaching and players. Collins is a smart guy and was a very good DC. You don't get a Broyles nomination at 3 different schools if you don't know what you are doing. I wonder if with the whole Covid situation he is playing more of a CEO role and handling the Covid related issues and not being as hands on with the defense as he probably would like?
I also wonder if some of these players are simply not as talented as we may have hoped. Sometimes the recruiting rankings get it right. I would not be surprised to see some of the other young guys start to get opportunities if they can learn the defense. I also would not be surprised if certain players did not return next year even with the free season.

slugboy

Staff member
As much as yesterday stunk, at least we don’t have national sports people sharing this shot
I can’t recall an opposing team this happy to see a touchdown before

GTFLETCH

Banned
It’s the GT way.

We got O’Leary a defensive expert & a great offense/ no D
Then we get Gomer an offensive genius so we get awesome D’s and no offense.
Next up’s Johnson a TO guru & wow we get a good offense, but D disappears faster than he could spit.
No we got another defensive dude & D’s in the crapper even worse than before. Offense appears to be showing signs of life.

In my lifetime I hope to see both again.
Spot On!!