Defense regression

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Is that coaching or he’s not skilled enough to set his watch properly
Both the coach should make sure their watches are synchronized and the player should have ask after the first time maybe we need to check our watches.
The moral to the story it takes both and there is the problem. It does not help to blame one both are wrong.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So if i tell you to post on Gtswarm everyday at 11am for 12 weeks straight but you continuously post at 11:05 and 11:10, Is that coaching or maybe, just maybe the players might be the issue?

Who controls who plays? If the players are controlling who plays than that's a bigger issue.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So if i tell you to post on Gtswarm everyday at 11am for 12 weeks straight but you continuously post at 11:05 and 11:10, Is that coaching or maybe, just maybe the players might be the issue?
I won't argue that there are no issues with players. However, I don't buy the argument that the issues are 100% on the players. Still looking to the sideline for a play call just before the snap isn't on the players. Not knowing what the coverage is until the snap is very likely to cause confusion and missed assignments. The tackling issue isn't just one or a few players, it is a lot of players. Is every single DB deciding individually to go for the knock down or strip, are they being taught to do that, or are did they not spend any time at all on fundamentals?

I understand your point that players have to make plays. I just think there are too many things that look like systematic issues to put all of the blame on the players.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I would say both here. In any organization, if there are no consequences for repeatedly making the same mistakes then ultimately that falls onto managment.

The best guy I ever worked for, who was a mentor, told me that he hated to hear people complain about the people under their direct supervision. He always told them if they were performing poorly, either train them or get rid of them. But to do nothing but complain was indicative of bad/no leadership skills.

This is where the trouble lies. The transformation of the defense doesn’t get discussed enough. CGC get slack from me bc he had the unluckiest start of a career that i have ever seen.

2 player deaths
Completely rebuilding an offense
Covid and social distancing restricting on campus visits and him coaching the safeties

But this free year is going to make this offseason very tough to say the least. How many guys that you need gone will want to come back next season?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Who controls who plays? If the players are controlling who plays than that's a bigger issue.

The players do control who plays. If i can’t get lined up or know the players, you can’t play! Unfortunately, for us our starters look so bad that you probably could not tell the difference if we did play the freshman

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
The players do control who plays. If i can’t get lined up or know the players, you can’t play! Unfortunately, for us our starters look so bad that you probably could not tell the difference if we did play the freshman
Freshmen are playing and a lot of sophs.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No offense, that tells me that you're looking to bring CPJ into this. I acknowledged coaching is an issue. My subsequent post referenced attrition as a reason also. So, you're wrong ;)

Even CPJ's own recruiting results were not strictly due to him, his scheme, persona or otherwise. Could another coach have recruited better with the same resources? Yes, I think many could have. And I say that as a CPJ supporter. His defenses were bad, our current upperclassmen are his players, so there is some cause and effect.

But the issues today are not solely on CPJ nor the available players. Our current coaches also need to coach better. But I think results will improve most by a better front 7; not swapping HCs, DCs, etc.
There are a lot of broken pieces here, too many to blame on the transition from a former coach.

Case in point. Last year we said the offensive line was too pitiful to allow for an even average passing game. In this game the offensive line gave the quarterback plenty of time on multiple occasions but our receivers couldn’t get open, resulting in either a coverage sack, an incompletion or an interception. Assuming our receivers were better than their secondary, that sounds like a coaching problem.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

You make my point. The fact that we still can't get lined up, our players have fundamental football issues (positioning, tackling, understanding where to go, etc.) all points to coaching breakdowns. I can understand talent deficiencies because GT will have them from time to time, especially in a transition period...but the fact that our players keep making fundamental football errors and can't get lined up correctly haflway through year 2 is a BIG problem. That's not a talent issue, that's a coaching issue. That's not a player issue, that's a coaching issue.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
It's really quite simple as far as explaining the regression. We are simply out matched in the front 7 by better units across the ball. The D-line gets swallowed up at the point of attack far more often than not. They are not occupying their gaps and making opposing O-lines maintain their assignments to free our edge rushers and LB's to make plays. The opposing O-line are getting to the 2nd level with relative ease which creates issues in our run fit assignments. When we do what we're supposed to do we have had some success, but we also keep taking horrible angles and it resembles a Chinese fire drill. We need space eaters on the DL that are still athletic enough to make plays and shed blocks. The 2ndary can only maintain coverage so long before WR's come open or we get called for a hold or PI. We need vastly better talent in the front 7 or it will be more of the same. Love Curry's hustle, but he is not a P5 caliber Mike LB.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's really quite simple as far as explaining the regression. We are simply out matched in the front 7 by better units across the ball. The D-line gets swallowed up at the point of attack far more often than not. They are not occupying their gaps and making opposing O-lines maintain their assignments to free our edge rushers and LB's to make plays. The opposing O-line are getting to the 2nd level with relative ease which creates issues in our run fit assignments. When we do what we're supposed to do we have had some success, but we also keep taking horrible angles and it resembles a Chinese fire drill. We need space eaters on the DL that are still athletic enough to make plays and shed blocks. The 2ndary can only maintain coverage so long before WR's come open or we get called for a hold or PI. We need vastly better talent in the front 7 or it will be more of the same. Love Curry's hustle, but he is not a P5 caliber Mike LB.

I agree with this 100%. While I do think we have plenty of coaching things to address, that game yesterday was just a plain and simple mismatch. BC just lined up and whipped us. Not tricks or schemes. Just superior physically at the LOS. People want to get into recruiting rankings - "but BC is lower than us". They don't tell the complete story. I looked up David Curry, whose name is mentioned here quite a bit, was a 3 star recruit with only 2 other offers from P5 (Uva and Iowa State). Jamie Skalski is a 3 star recruit from Newnan who was a preseason ALL ACC pick. He plays at Clemson and had 7 or 8 other P5 offers (but none from GT if the data is correct and none as "glamorous" as Clemson either. No other top 5 or 6 program offered him). On paper, these guys ranked the same because we only look at star rankings correct? But I think # of other offers and who offers is equally as compelling.

But to be fair, I bet Curry would look a helluva lot better if the other 10 guys around him were the guys Skalski plays with. Conversely, I doubt Skalski is a preseason All ACC if he were here either. But looking at composite recruiting rankings is way over rated imo.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I agree with this 100%. While I do think we have plenty of coaching things to address, that game yesterday was just a plain and simple mismatch. BC just lined up and whipped us. Not tricks or schemes. Just superior physically at the LOS. People want to get into recruiting rankings - "but BC is lower than us". They don't tell the complete story. I looked up David Curry, whose name is mentioned here quite a bit, was a 3 star recruit with only 2 other offers from P5 (Uva and Iowa State). Jamie Skalski is a 3 star recruit from Newnan who was a preseason ALL ACC pick. He plays at Clemson and had 7 or 8 other P5 offers (but none from GT if the data is correct and none as "glamorous" as Clemson either. No other top 5 or 6 program offered him). On paper, these guys ranked the same because we only look at star rankings correct? But I think # of other offers and who offers is equally as compelling.

But to be fair, I bet Curry would look a helluva lot better if the other 10 guys around him were the guys Skalski plays with. Conversely, I doubt Skalski is a preseason All ACC if he were here either. But looking at composite recruiting rankings is way over rated imo.
100% agree! Yesterday Boston College entered the game averaging only 66 rushing yards per game, with a season high of 90 rushing yards. The Eagles finished with 264 rushing yards and scored 48 points. So the question becomes if recruiting doesn't matter, is Coach Collins a good fit at Georgia Tech? It seems that this will not get fixed anytime soon...might even need a HC Change??? I mean even with Al Groh & Ted Roof the Coach Paul Johnson D's weren't this bad....

So does GTAA look at Jeff Monken in a few years??

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Stupid 4-2-5 2010 Alabama defense means when they go heavy set and motion a HBack to the strong side we have to set the edge with a 195 Pound Nickel Back. It’s just little things like that that make me question if they have any idea of what they are doing. Get us in 4-3 and stop using OLB for DE. Our LBs stink and we have elite edge guys who could be taught to play Sam and Will that would help us so much better.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It's really quite frustrating every weekend for me watching both GT and the Panthers be completely inept at getting off the field on defense.