Defense is now totally optional.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Rule changes and the amount of athleticism it takes to play defense. Easier to exploit defenses in college football because of the disparity in athleticism between the best and worst players on the field

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, most of it is rule changes. In the early days of football it was really, really hard to score. Over time this has changed quite a bit. Most of the rule changes in the past 30 years have made it much easier to score. A few examples:
  1. Can't hit a QB high
  2. Can't hit a QB low
  3. Can't touch a QB's helmet
  4. DB's basically can't touch receivers
  5. Back shoulder throw PI (this results in some of the dumbest calls I've ever seen...a QB can basically force PI by underthrowing a pass)
  6. Throw away passes past the LOS to avoid intentional grounding when outside the pocket (also a stupid rule...)
  7. Refs helping to facilitate no huddle hurry up offense when time is not an issue
  8. Holding calls on the D line to prevent O linemen from blocking LB's
  9. Defenses "forcing o linemen to jump" and getting called offside (this one cracks me up when they fake it)
Any more that anyone wants to add?

The defense is already at a severe disadvantage in that they don't know the play. Yet all rule changes basically make it ever harder for them to do their job. It's no wonder defenses aren't good...
Don't forget being knocked on your arse doesn't count as a tackle if your arse just happens to land on the defender. This insanity has both helped and hurt us this year. And pick plays are basically ignored, especially near the goal line, plus WR push offs are as common as rain.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Rule changes and the amount of athleticism it takes to play defense. Easier to exploit defenses in college football because of the disparity in athleticism between the best and worst players on the field
Corners, LBs, and rush ends are less athletic? Maybe I'm misreading.

slugboy

Staff member
I think he means that OCs are better at creating and exploiting mismatches. They’ll find ways to put their fastest receiver against your slowest defender or their tallest against your shortest

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Any team playing less than 10 games should have no chance to play for the championship. The B1G screwed themselves. Too bad. You don't play a full schedule, you don't get a chance at the end. PERIOD!
Any team playing less than 10 games should have no chance to play for the championship. The B1G screwed themselves. Too bad. You don't play a full schedule, you don't get a chance at the end. PERIOD!
if someone from the big10 can beat the dwags or otherwise keep them out of the natty game then I don’t care what they do, how they do it or how they got there

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Conferences play a different number of conference games every year and have different requirements in who they can play outside of conference games (can the play FCS, etc.). That isn't held against them.

Unless every conference plays the same number of conference games and have the same rules in terms of who they are allowed to play outside of conference games its hard to make a liegit argument about this year.

I also suspect as we get into later October and November and cases and hospitalizations continue to rise more games are likely to be postponed and potentially cancelled, so it will be interesting to see where we are at the end of the season in terms of how many games each team has played.

Will be interesting to see if the AL issue expands beyond Saban and the AD in the next week.

The role of the CFB has never changed, it is to try to pick what it sees as the four best teams in college football using whatever metrics and eye test they want to use.

I'm just hoping we get at least 8 games in this year. Anything more than that is gravy for me. FWIW, The Falcons shut down today due to multiple positive tests.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Conferences play a different number of conference games every year and have different requirements in who they can play outside of conference games (can the play FCS, etc.). That isn't held against them.

Unless every conference plays the same number of conference games and have the same rules in terms of who they are allowed to play outside of conference games its hard to make a liegit argument about this year.

I also suspect as we get into later October and November and cases and hospitalizations continue to rise more games are likely to be postponed and potentially cancelled, so it will be interesting to see where we are at the end of the season in terms of how many games each team has played.

Will be interesting to see if the AL issue expands beyond Saban and the AD in the next week.

The role of the CFB has never changed, it is to try to pick what it sees as the four best teams in college football using whatever metrics and eye test they want to use.

I'm just hoping we get at least 8 games in this year. Anything more than that is gravy for me. FWIW, The Falcons shut down today due to multiple positive tests.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Corners, LBs, and rush ends are less athletic? Maybe I'm misreading.
Need to be more athletic because they have to play reactionary and yeah what slugboy said. OCs have an easier time exploiting weaknesses. When I was talking about athletic disparity I meant college in general. The gap between the best and worst college football player on the field at any given time is much greater than in the nfl where everyone is a super athlete. This can set up even bigger mismatches and makes it even harder to play reactionary on defense

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
if an 8-0 b1g team makes it and then wins both playoff games, it's hard to realistically argue against the results. until there are more spots, there will always be deserving teams left out.
I disagree. An 8-0 B1G team doesn't deserve a shot, regardless. They've played fewer games, suffered fewer potential injuries, less potential exposure, etc. If they wanted in, they should have been in from the beginning. They decided to sit the season out, so they have to pay for that choice, regardless of whether they changed their minds or not.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Foreniscbuzz, but it won't matter. The CFB is actually not about selecting the best football teams, it is about maximizing revenues. As always...

1602785960215.png