Defense against Ga Southern, and what do we do next?

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We saw more press coverage and some multiple player blitzes. I didn't note how often either of those happened, but it was more than previous games. My guess is that CPJ was confident enough in the offense to tell Ted to dial up the risk/reward. Or maybe it had to do with always having a two score lead.

Do you think that will be the plan from here on out?

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the idea of being more aggressive on defense, but unless we get more production out of our linebackers and play a little faster, it won't matter. I have trouble believing we are as slow as we look...I truly think there may be too much installed and they are overthinking everything. Of course, I'm not a coach and I don't that to be true. But we have to play faster on D.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
I think our weakest link on defense is our DL, so we are going to have to continue to take chances ... if we sit back with the bend-but-don't-break, we are going to break !

We certainly aren't getting enough pressure with rushing 4. Problem is I don't know how much better we've been with rushing 5 or 6. Seems like our blitzes get picked up most of the time and they do very little to disrupt the opposing QBs timing.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
We continue to struggle with mobile QB's but luckily we have none left on the schedule besides maybe VT. I like that we were more aggressive but I also knew going into this game it was GSU's super bowl and it was a no win situation. They played better than I've seen all year and no matter how bad we beat them it wouldn't be by a big enough margin. Hell, look at 2014. We got luck as hell to win and that was our best season in 20 years. How we come out after a bye against Duke will show me more. We will have 2 weeks to tighten some things up. That's when I'll make my judgement on how we are doing.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We were playing a team that we were more talented than and that also doesn't have much of a passing threat, so the risk of blitzing against GSU was smaller compared to blitzing against other teams.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The miami and clemson fresh and soph wr looked like grown men compared to gsu.

Miami should be an aerial circus w their talent.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
We were playing a team that we were more talented than and that also doesn't have much of a passing threat, so the risk of blitzing against GSU was smaller compared to blitzing against other teams.
Specifically, they had no downfield passing threat. We could run with their WRs so didn't need safety help.

I think we should put more responsibility on our safeties. Some here have suggested rolling to a 4-2-5 with one of them rolled to the box. I am still not convinced that we have the best players on the field, but that's impossible to know without being in practice.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
We certainly aren't getting enough pressure with rushing 4. Problem is I don't know how much better we've been with rushing 5 or 6. Seems like our blitzes get picked up most of the time and they do very little to disrupt the opposing QBs timing.

Our blitz packages suck. We telegraph everything we do on D.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea of being more aggressive on defense, but unless we get more production out of our linebackers and play a little faster, it won't matter. I have trouble believing we are as slow as we look...I truly think there may be too much installed and they are overthinking everything. Of course, I'm not a coach and I don't that to be true. But we have to play faster on D.

You may have something there. The safeties played much better (much faster) this past game. They said in an interview that their position coach turned them loose and encouraged more aggressive play. It sure worked. I hope it is sustained and it spreads to other positions, especially LB.