Film Study Def. Breakdown vs. Miami

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Good day by the defense. This game should've been 0-7 pt allowed game for us. You can tell this was a game circled on the calendar for us. We played with a little more bounce than normal.

If Adams continues his progress, he will be a monster for us next year!!! 3 consecutive good performances from Brant and Swilling. Still need to tackle better especially if we want a great showing vs. UVA.

Enjoy

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You're right about Adams! He's been gotten better as the season has progressed. He has really improved his conditioning and he caves in the OL in front of him in.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe its watching it on TV vs at the stadium, but it seemed like there were a few times on 3rd down where our zones were too soft? We were covering 30 yards of field when we needed to cover 10. Top that off with a 3 man rush and the QB has all day to pick us apart.

The D is getting better, especially vs designed run. I'm thinking this group could be really good next year. We'll need contain on the QB this week.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What is it about our team that makes DC's play so soft every time on 3rd and 6-10? Perhaps NW was thinking interceptions, but there was not enough pressure for interceptions. I know we will get beat over the top at times, but mix it up and keep them guessing. I still like this defense better even with the soft play at times...

Deleted member 2897

It is amazing what good coaching can do. Our DL coach needs a nice pay increase for next year.

I vote for a big pay Riase for Jerome.

giphy.gif

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What is it about our team that makes DC's play so soft every time on 3rd and 6-10? Perhaps NW was thinking interceptions, but there was not enough pressure for interceptions. I know we will get beat over the top at times, but mix it up and keep them guessing. I still like this defense better even with the soft play at times...

Two-folds:

I really don’t think CNW have all of our blitz schemes in that we could execute properly on a 3rd down

A lot of it is scouting. Possible scouted that our opponents have trouble with 8 man zones. Problem is also we are not playing the zones well, not forcing a rushed throw with pressure and/or rerouting receivers.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Plus BM has made big improvements at LB play. Someone is doing a good job with them as well.

I am getting very excited to see what a good defense can do with our top 20 Offense. Plus recruiting is slowly improving.
I have a feeling that in CPJ's time-frame if we could have spent another $1 to $2M a year on coaching salaries (excluding CPJ's pay) that would have equated to 1 to 2 more wins per year.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
IBeeBallin, On that play where you kept asking what in the world Curry was looking at, could he have been tasked with shadowing the QB? The play where BM and him crossed over each other? He seems to be keeping his focus on the QB.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
IBeeBallin, On that play where you kept asking what in the world Curry was looking at, could he have been tasked with shadowing the QB? The play where BM and him crossed over each other? He seems to be keeping his focus on the QB.

The long and short answer is no lol. Unless it is obvious pass, you play the first run everydown and react to pass.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
i hate to say this because i love andy mac, but i think our linebacker play problems are because he is also learning the scheme. Our ILB are the only component that isn't progressing as fast as the others. He should be much better at teaching the scheme next year after a full season under it as well.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Coach in the radio said he spoke with Nate about it on Sunday "man up and bring seven, one way or another we're getting off the field"

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Coach in the radio said he spoke with Nate about it on Sunday "man up and bring seven, one way or another we're getting off the field"

Johnson is probably the most aggressively minded defensive person we've ever had. Honestly I wonder if he wouldn't be even more blitz happy than tenuta was if he were calling it. Honestly though when you have a ball control offense its the best thing to be. You drive for 7 minutes, give up a touchdown in 4 plays drive for 7 minutes eventually that opposing defense is so tired you kill them in the 4th.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Johnson is probably the most aggressively minded defensive person we've ever had. Honestly I wonder if he wouldn't be even more blitz happy than tenuta was if he were calling it. Honestly though when you have a ball control offense its the best thing to be. You drive for 7 minutes, give up a touchdown in 4 plays drive for 7 minutes eventually that opposing defense is so tired you kill them in the 4th.
That strategy only works if you score td’s as well.

Deleted member 2897

Plus BM has made big improvements at LB play. Someone is doing a good job with them as well.

I am getting very excited to see what a good defense can do with our top 20 Offense. Plus recruiting is slowly improving.
I have a feeling that in CPJ's time-frame if we could have spent another $1 to $2M a year on coaching salaries (excluding CPJ's pay) that would have equated to 1 to 2 more wins per year.

Or if the ACC (who can kiss my ***) stopped giving opponents multiple Byes and stopped giving us largely Noon games.