Dedrick Mills Went off

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't get me wrong, I miss the kid, but KB runs pretty dang well, and can move the pile too. Mills would still be my 1st string but there isn't a huge gap. KB's pretty close. Marshall had a higher top end speed than both, and that's something we've lost at the position. KB and DM could both be run down. MM was much tougher to run down. MM didn't hit the hole as hard or with the same power either though.

DM is gonna play for a P5. He's got power. We'll miss him.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ah, what could have been! I'm going to miss Dedrick for his entire career.

That said, Benson is a real good BB and may make us forget Mills in the long run. And one thing: Coach seems to think - he would know - that Benson is the fastest BB we've ever had; even faster then Dwyer. I almost saw that yesterday; there was one run where an arm in the wrong place slowed Benson up just enough when he had an open field.

Well, we'll see.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Ah, what could have been! I'm going to miss Dedrick for his entire career.

That said, Benson is a real good BB and may make us forget Mills in the long run. And one thing: Coach seems to think - he would know - that Benson is the fastest BB we've ever had; even faster then Dwyer. I almost saw that yesterday; there was one run where an arm in the wrong place slowed Benson up just enough when he had an open field.

Well, we'll see.

Haven't noticed that yet, but i'd love to see it. Coach doesn't blow smoke.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there any chance he comes back to GT? Is that door closed?

I think we have a policy that prevents such a thing, IIRC from a Segura article. If it's a GT policy and not an NCAA policy(and i think it's a GT one) - it should be scrapped. Especially for a guy like Dedrick who did all the right things after getting some heavy-handed(IMO) medicine.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think we have a policy that prevents such a thing, IIRC from a Segura article. If it's a GT policy and not an NCAA policy(and i think it's a GT one) - it should be scrapped. Especially for a guy like Dedrick who did all the right things after getting some heavy-handed(IMO) medicine.

One of the biggest hurdle to him coming back. or anyone else for that matter, is he would be too far behind academically. I doubt the course work he's been doing would transfer to Tech

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow

What was heavy handed about it? He knew the rules coming in and CHOSE to ignore/break the rules. He had three strikes and is out. If he cared more about the team rather than the substance he tested positive for, he would probably still be on the team.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
What was heavy handed about it? He knew the rules coming in and CHOSE to ignore/break the rules. He had three strikes and is out. If he cared more about the team rather than the substance he tested positive for, he would probably still be on the team.

They’ve since changed the policy. Dedrick wouldn’t be off the team if he had played under the new policy. I think the old policy was heavy handed(inflexible, not adaptive to individual situations) and not in line with our mission to prepare good men. The new policy focuses on counseling, and rewarding a player for time spent clean. In my view - that’s a better way to reform people than the old system. Kids come here with habits - and habits are hard and require time to break - a player who’s showing progress but slips up shouldn’t be tossed out. I’ve seen the effects of zero tolerance policies on friends and their siblings. Being uprooted from an environment is traumatic and most teenagers rebel even more, some have passed before they were 25. It’s ruined lives. That’s my opinion, you’re welcome to yours.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I was under the impression that the new policy was that there will be an initial test for incoming players just like the old policy; however, no more random follow up tests. CPJ said that he preferred that there only be subsequent tests if there was reasonable suspicion that a player was using.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I was under the impression that the new policy was that there will be an initial test for incoming players just like the old policy; however, no more random follow up tests. CPJ said that he preferred that there only be subsequent tests if there was reasonable suspicion that a player was using.
Correct, but according to my understanding - that initial test doesn't count as a strike but they do put emphasis on you to go to counseling and continue testing you. The new policy also allows one strike to be forgiven if the athlete had been staying on track for some time. I think that because the first test wouldn't be a strike, he'd be at 2.