Dec. 10- What do we have so far???

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
GT basketball is sitting at 4-4, with losses to UCLA (in China), Grambling, Tennessee, and Wofford (@ Wofford), and victories over three lower-level teams and Northwestern. Our team spent the first three games without Tadric Jackson, all 8 games without Josh Okogie, and the last 4 games with a gimpy Ben Lammers. Also, Justin Moore has been suspended/missed 3 games, and Ogbonda has only played in two games due to injury.

So, based on what you have seen so far, what do we have? We have we learned about our team so far? Surprises? Disappointments?

I'll mention a few, and then throw it over to our more informed and educated crew to discuss:
1. The team defense has been good, but it is clear that we are not at the level we were last year. We are giving up 39% from the field and 36% from 3-point range. The first number is above-average and has a lot to do with Lammers presence inside, and the second number is...not so good. We are really on lots of freshmen right now, and they just don't always know where to go. Mastering the amoeba defense takes time. This will improve as the season goes on, especially as Josh-O returns--his defense was very underrated.
2. The offense has been...inconsistent. At times, they make excellent cuts to the basket and get easy buckets, and at other times, there is too much standing around. I hope this will improve too.
3. JOSE! Jose Alvarado has been really, really good for a freshman PG. I am so used to seeing average PG play from GT, I almost forgot what a good PG looks like. He is aggressive, but not foolish. He gets steals, he rebounds well, he steps up when its crunch time, and his shot is surprisingly good. If he could add a little more mid-range to his game, he will be even better. 13.9/5.0/3.6 with a 38.5% from 3-point range? I'll take that all day from a freshman PG.
4. CGB! Haywood II has been the biggest surprise to me, especially since he looked a bit lost in the first few games. His shot is definitely as good as advertised (50% from 3???Wha?), his passing and court awareness is excellent, and his on-the-ball defense is good. He makes at least one or two passes a game that make me say, "Whoa! Nice!" We need to look for him more on the offensive side and he needs to be more aggressive. He's going to be a good one.
5. AD Gueye/Moses Wright. The four spot has been a clear weakness but both of these guys show flashes of brilliance, and combined that have been good for 7.5/7.0/2.3. Both of them should probably stay a little closer to the basket, although I like Moses' mid-range shot. AD has proved to be a proficient passer (1.8 assists/game), but needs to be stronger with the ball (2 TO/game).
6. Justin Moore has been a disappointment, but I think the time he missed caused him to want to force things too much when he did get his chance. He is never going to be a great shooter, but the 7 assist game against Grambling shows what he is capable of.
7. Sylvester Ogbonda, where are you? I know he was injured, but we could really use his size out there, especially to give BL a breather. I hope he comes back soon, or this might end up being a lost year. Didn't we hear about how much he improved over the off-season?
8. Evan Cole. Not ready to contribute yet in the ACC, but the potential is there and his time will come. I like his shot, but we haven't seen enough of him to know a lot more. Surprisingly, he hasn't played in three out of the last four games.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on what we have seen so far!

GTFLETCH

Banned
Well we should be able to beat Florida A&M and Coppin St. UGA and Wright State could go either way. I want to beat UGA... so if we go 3-1 that puts us at 7-5 heading into ACC play.

I only see 11 Conf wins and that would mean Josh is back playing lights out... however we probably only win 9 ACC games this year...puts us between 16 or 18 wins and another crappy season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well we should be able to beat Florida A&M and Coppin St. UGA and Wright State could go either way. I want to beat UGA... so if we go 3-1 that puts us at 7-5 heading into ACC play.

I only see 11 Conf wins and that would mean Josh is back playing lights out... however we probably only win 9 ACC games this year...puts us between 16 or 18 wins and another crappy season.
Given what I have seen so far, your expectations are wildly optimistic.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Only 9 conf wins??? Quickly tell me the last time we won 9 conf games?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This team without JO and part time status from Lammers has one good win, one ungodly embarassing loss, one frustrating loss and the rest meh. I keep reminding myself we started out "slow" last year and this year is like that. But the question is whether this year's team is poised to make that same level of improvement.

I agree that the defense has been OK - certainly not great. Though the 3 point shooting numbers are skewed by the Wofford kid going all World B Free on us (see how many get that one :) ) But it was the hallmark of last year's team and right now I don't see it carrying us in the ACC like it did last year.

The real difference to me is watching the offense and how that has deteriorated. We want to run an offense that is based on cuts either getting layups or making the defense react to them. Right now we don't run the cuts aggressively and they are simply sluffing off the 4 to stay in the way. Chicken and egg as to which one came first / caused the other but it makes for our offense to be "not good". Right now we are averaging 63 points per game against the easier part of our schedule. It is about to get a whole lot harder when we play ACC defenses.

The freshmen are about where I had hoped they would be. Jose plays above his ranking though he still has freshman issues/plays where the ball doesn't go where it needs to or he doesn't seem to get into the game until too late. But the upside is there. I didn't expect Haywood to be a difference maker this year and he isn't - but he looks to be a solid 4 year ACC level player. Moses and Cole are about where I thought they would be - though I thought Cole would be the one showing more flashes this year with his shooting. Regardless I would have been floored if either were the answer at the 4 for us this year.

AD is better than he was last year but not really a fit for a stretch 4. He was recruited and redshirted as an athletic body and that is what he is. We need him to be in position and have the ability to score from 12 to maybe 15 feet out.

So the question is how to project this group with a healthy Ben and the return of JO. Recognize that we won't get the real JO until about 2 weeks after he is cleared to start conditioning again. Right now he can't - or isn't allowed to work out much less shoot a basketball. So we won't see his impact likely until a couple of games into the ACC part of the slate (?) depending on that date to get back and work. With a healthy JO I can see our defense improving on the perimeter. A healthy JO makes a huge difference against that Wofford kid. But he doesn't fix the offensive issues unless you play him at the 4 spot to open the floor. We can do that against a VT but not Duke or UNC types. So looking forward I still think the biggest issue is can we adjust the scheme enough to accommodate AD playing the 4 keeping the lane clear. And I don't have a lot of faith in that.

Going forward I think we will have a lot of developing/improving 4/3 types who can step into that role but are not ready now - or not here now. But not this year. If we get to 9 ACC wins I will do cartwheels. I don't see it. I am afraid by the time JO gets all the way back it will be too little too late for this year. It will likely though accelerate the development of the freshmen - especially Haywood - for next year. Then we lose Lammers but that is a whole nother post.