DCS play breakdown (poor man's Longestday)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
First of all, all props to LD and I can't wait for his slowmo analysis, it's always a lot of fun and very informative.

Second, I have no slo-mo capability, and it's only one play, but it's a doosy. So here it is, w/o further ado:

(1:45) Benson's 45 yard TD run!

• I love the formation. Extra lineman on the right side, plus the wr, Stewart is right next to him on the LOS. That gives us 7 on the LOS and all 11 inside a 10 yard box. You know how frustrating it is watching film and you can't see all 22 players in the frame, well not so here!
  • I think, not sure, it's an option as TM appears to be reading the DE. (his head is turned at an angle and he's looking at the DE) The DE comes straight up field so TM rightfully gives to Benson.
  • I love the fact CPJ goes right back to Benson after he fumbled the previous play. What a confidence boost! It's a tough call as a coach because you want to encourage ball security and reward guys lower on the depth chart who show it, but at the same time, you don't want your workhorse to get down on himself.
  • Look at the surge by the OL, beautiful. We get a great push and completely swallow up the Mike. The whole Pitt D is pretty close to the LOS to begin with, so any bad angles, bad decisions or missed tackles can be deadly.... and they are!
  • Both defenders on the defensive right (the rOLB and rDE), the area where Benson eventually runs to, run themselves out of the play right after the snap. The MLB gets swallowed up in the trash, so this leaves the two safties as the only players with a legitimate shot at making a play. The guy with the best shot, the backside safety, whiffs badly on the tackle. This is more poor tackling than hard running, but Benson breaks it and accelerates.
  • Brad Stewart: Here's the key block that nobody is talking about: Brad Stewart walls off the playside safety long enough for Benson to get to the edge and run past him. Kudos to Brad, who never gets a ball thrown his way, btw, for his unselfishness and blocking ability, a hallmark for all the skill guys on this team.
  • Quay Searcy: look how far back he is when he starts his run to make a block! Unbelievable! Reminds me of the pick six Jamaal Golden had when we last beat Clemson. Unselfish hustle play by Quay.
  • Kirvante Benson: he's finally able to showcase his speed as he easily outruns defenders to the edge and to the endzone. He showed his power all game up to that point. Hope he can work on his ball security, because we really need this guy on the field.
  • edit: I just noticed KB puts two hands on the ball when he gets near the 10... interesting....

Last edited:

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
First of all, all props to LD and I can't wait for his slowmo analysis, it's always a lot of fun and very informative.

Second, I have no slo-mo capability, and it's only one play, but it's a doosy. So here it is, w/o further ado:

(1:45) Benson's 45 yard TD run!

• I love the formation. Extra lineman on the right side, plus the wr, Stewart is right next to him on the LOS. That gives us 7 on the LOS and all 11 inside a 10 yard box. You know how frustrating it is watching film and you can't see all 22 players in the frame, well not so here!
  • I think, not sure, it's an option as TM appears to be reading the DE. (his head is turned at an angle and he's looking at the DE) The DE comes straight up field so TM rightfully gives to Benson.
  • I love the fact CPJ goes right back to Benson after he fumbled the previous play. What a confidence boost! It's a tough call as a coach because you want to encourage ball security and reward guys lower on the depth chart who show it, but at the same time, you don't want your workhorse to get down on himself.
  • Look at the surge by the OL, beautiful. We get a great push and completely swallow up the Mike. The whole Pitt D is pretty close to the LOS to begin with, so any bad angles, bad decisions or missed tackles can be deadly.... and they are!
  • Both defenders on the defensive right (the rOLB and rDE), the area where Benson eventually runs to, run themselves out of the play right after the snap. The MLB gets swallowed up in the trash, so this leaves the two safties as the only players with a legitimate shot at making a play. The guy with the best shot, the backside safety, whiffs badly on the tackle. This is more poor tackling than hard running, but Benson breaks it and accelerates.
  • Brad Stewart: Here's the key block that nobody is talking about: Brad Stewart walls off the playside safety long enough for Benson to get to the edge and run past him. Kudos to Brad, who never gets a ball thrown his way, btw, for his unselfishness and blocking ability, a hallmark for all the skill guys on this team.
  • Quay Searcy: look how far back he is when he starts his run to make a block! Unbelievable! Reminds me of the pick six Jamaal Golden had when we last beat Clemson. Unselfish hustle play by Quay.
  • Kirvante Benson: he's finally able to showcase his speed as he easily outruns defenders to the edge and to the endzone. He showed his power all game up to that point. Hope he can work on his ball security, because we really need this guy on the field.
  • edit: I just noticed KB puts two hands on the ball when he gets near the 10... interesting....

I also like players who hustle until the whistle blows. Take a look at the punt return by Pitt that went for a touchdown. The Tech defender, #23, just missed the initial tackle. Despite that, he ran all the way down field and just missed knocking the returner out of bounds before the score. It would have been easy to slow down around the 30 yard line but he ran the length of the field after missing the tackle.

As I see, #23 is either Melvin Davis or Jalen Johnson. Hustling like that gets you noticed by the coaches.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I keep getting a video doesn’t exist error. What did you post it as, when I search dressedcheeseside nothing comes up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Benson is thinking about switching to his outside hand and changes his mind. Or maybe he felt the ball move? Good catch DCS and yes Qua just explodes down the field.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Pretty sure TQM could have gotten in the endzone if he had ran to the corner after the spin. He had the block but probably didn’t see it given the spin.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure TQM could have gotten in the endzone if he had ran to the corner after the spin. He had the block but probably didn’t see it given the spin.

The kid just flat out loves to cut back against the grain. I can think of two other key times he cut back when he should have done something else: the dreaded non pitch that ended the UT game and the nice run against UT where he cut back once, then again and got tackled when he should have raced to the pylon instead. The move works for him most of the time, so I won't complain too much.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I think you're right that it was a triple option.

As you can see, the offense has a WR at "right tackle" and then has bumped the right tackle to the left side - giving us a "true" tackle and an "extra" tackle. This becomes significant.

The linemen ignore the first man outside the true tackle (DE), and, similarly, no one blocks the second man outside the true tackle (OLB). The WR and A-Back "switch" block, as they almost always do on the triple option when the CB is tight.

Pitt's defense didn't actually adjust to the tackle-over formation. The safeties and linebackers have bumped a few feet to the wide side of the field, but the number of front-7 players on that side remains the same. Essentially, we have an extra man on that side.

What we can do with that numerical advantage is get more guys to the next level. On a normally-aligned triple option, the left tackle would be responsible for "combo" blocking the DT with his guard, trying to slide from that guy up to the middle linebacker.

Here, the LG and tLT are able to fully double team the DT, making absolutely sure that he can't disrupt Benson's path, and the extra tackle is able to wall off the middle backer.

This is a simplified explanation, but it demonstrates exactly what a defense SHOULD NOT do in response to a tackle-over formation.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Second, I have no slo-mo capability

In case you (or anyone else) isn't aware, youtube allows you to playback the video at .25 and .5 speed. You can't share the link with the speed set, but changing it is as simple as clicking settings in the bottom right and then adjusting the speed. Helpful for clips like these.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Great job releasing at the perfect moment to not get a holding penalty too.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I also like players who hustle until the whistle blows. Take a look at the punt return by Pitt that went for a touchdown. The Tech defender, #23, just missed the initial tackle. Despite that, he ran all the way down field and just missed knocking the returner out of bounds before the score. It would have been easy to slow down around the 30 yard line but he ran the length of the field after missing the tackle.

As I see, #23 is either Melvin Davis or Jalen Johnson. Hustling like that gets you noticed by the coaches.

it was JJ, not to go negative but (1) he shouldn't miss that tackle as he had the guy hemmed in or he shouldn't be on the punt team (2) he is not playing much and certainly should get back to make up for miss

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
it was JJ, not to go negative but (1) he shouldn't miss that tackle as he had the guy hemmed in or he shouldn't be on the punt team (2) he is not playing much and certainly should get back to make up for miss

I don't think you are being negative. Given the returner received the punt close to the sideline, JJ should have forced him that direction, using the sideline as another defender. It is easy for us to say that now however in the heat of the moment and speed at which they were heading down, JJ seemed surprised at the route the returner took. We had another shot at the 15 yard line before the returner took it upfield. Give Pitt credit for setting up the wall the way they did and the returning for his 'crazy leg' move along the sideline near the 25 yard line. I thought he went out before seeing the replay.

I still like JJ's hustle, despite how the play turned out.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In case you (or anyone else) isn't aware, youtube allows you to playback the video at .25 and .5 speed. You can't share the link with the speed set, but changing it is as simple as clicking settings in the bottom right and then adjusting the speed. Helpful for clips like these.
Thanks, I forgot about that.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think you're right that it was a triple option.

As you can see, the offense has a WR at "right tackle" and then has bumped the right tackle to the left side - giving us a "true" tackle and an "extra" tackle. This becomes significant.

The linemen ignore the first man outside the true tackle (DE), and, similarly, no one blocks the second man outside the true tackle (OLB). The WR and A-Back "switch" block, as they almost always do on the triple option when the CB is tight.

Pitt's defense didn't actually adjust to the tackle-over formation. The safeties and linebackers have bumped a few feet to the wide side of the field, but the number of front-7 players on that side remains the same. Essentially, we have an extra man on that side.

What we can do with that numerical advantage is get more guys to the next level. On a normally-aligned triple option, the left tackle would be responsible for "combo" blocking the DT with his guard, trying to slide from that guy up to the middle linebacker.

Here, the LG and tLT are able to fully double team the DT, making absolutely sure that he can't disrupt Benson's path, and the extra tackle is able to wall off the middle backer.

This is a simplified explanation, but it demonstrates exactly what a defense SHOULD NOT do in response to a tackle-over formation.

You are right, but on occasions when the D shifts to our overload we sometimes counter and have a shorter path with the QB keep or pitch to get outside on the weak side, so the proper D adjustment can also work against you when CPJ is on his game (which is a lot).