Dave Walkosky gone

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ken at AJC said:
Asked for comment by text message, coach Paul Johnson deferred to Walkosky.

Nothing suggests this was related to performance on Walkosky’s part. Walkosky received a one-year contract in April that was set to take effect in July with a slight raise to $183,950. Further, had Johnson wanted to dismiss the first coach he had ever hired to coach only special teams, he almost certainly would have done shortly after the 2013 season.

Curiouser and Curiouser

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/walkosky-no-longer-on-staff/nfnpk/

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I would say "Wow!" But "Damn" seems to be the better word. Why now? Why not Feb 10th.

Let's ease up on the speculation of why he left. No one knows anything about a desire to increase the OL staff. No one knows if CPJ is unhappy with results of ST.

Did Walk simply get a better offer he could not turn down? Speculation is just that, speculation. The facts will come out.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
how about this thought.... maybe cpj just recently decided that sewak needs to go. could be that the biggest evaluation going during spring practice was cpj evaluating sewak's on hands coaching. he gave coach sewak the benefit of a doubt and did a thorough evaluation.

a poor evaluation could be the reason for all of this????? cpj has decided to make the move but wants to make it easy for the team and easy for his friend sewak. give him time to retire gracefully without a firing.

certainly wouldnt be the first time we hired a coaches replacement. coach oleary for b** L***** worked out pretty well?

just a thought. if this leads to this being sewak's last year you can count me as one fan that will be ecstatic.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree wth Eric's point that PJ doesn't need to evaluate him after 20+ years. I spoke a little soon in my earlier post. Who knows? We'll find out eventually

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
"PJ doesn't need to evaluate him after 20+ years"

sorry but not something i can buy. can you imagine a ceo taking that attitude with all his managers? i cant. i wouldnt.

people change. some time they loose intensity. problems at home. a gazillion reasons why a persons performance could fall off suddenly or over time.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The AJC article mentions that CPJ deferred to Walkosky for comment. Wouldn't that indicate it was Walkosky's decision to leave?

Jamal Golden & Harrison Butker expressed their displeasure over the departure on twitter earlier this evening.

thwgjacket

His numbers look good on paper but we had a lot of holes scheme wise on special teams, especially in coverage. I think he benefited a lot from having Poole and Butker both who are good players...Besides that on the recruiting trail yes he has built some good in roads but he has not signed a single player that he was responsible for in the last two years. I am not saying he is a awful coach just think it is not a big loss overall.

I do think we will go back to the two OL coaches...but it makes no sense to me why we didn't make this move pre Spring if that is CPJ's plan...I would like the move overall because I think Sewak is terrible but the timing just seems off.
I agree with that. I didn't know that he hadn't signed a player in two years. That's pretty glaring. Like you and another poster said, he has definitely had some great young players that may have helped him look better than he actually is. The timing is weird but I would rather him make the move now than not make it at all if this really is his plan. I think you would agree with that and a new coach still has all fall to work with the guys. Will be interesting to watch.

thwgjacket

Senior associate athletic director Ryan Bamford confirmed that Walkosky was no longer part of the program and added “That’s probably about all I can tell you.”- From AJC Article.

This is weird. I don't know if that quote means it's all he can say because he doesn't know or if he mean it's all he can say because he was told not to say anything more. Either way I was told to look for a second OL coach by a guy who knows what happens in the football program before the AJC does. He has been wrong before though, rarely, but it has happened. If he's wrong then I'm wrong and accept full responsibility for making a possibly erroneous post.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
It does sound like it was Walkosky's decision to leave...hmm, guess we will learn more soon. I have reached out to some people but they aren't giving out info on this. Guess we shall find out soon enough!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is confident we will be scoring on every possession, going for two after every touchdown, Butker is going put kickoffs through the endzone, Jamal Golden will be the lone Jacket on punt/kickoff returns and he's going to take them all back for TDs (they other 10 guys on our kick/punt return units were just taking up space)...Walkosky would be extraneous anyhow. With the extra coaching spot, we're going to hire an OC so CPJ can spend more time on the golf course with Jon Barry.

It makes sense if you think about it.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
He has been here 6 full years...No way he should have had one Spring to prove or not prove something. His body of work over the last 6 years answers that question. IF CPJ fired him just to hire another OL coach now that would not make a ton of sense to me.

And FWIW I am not a big fan of Coach Walk but the whole timing of this is strange to me.
Eric, is your lack of love based on results or personality or both? I am friends with two previous linemen (family friends) that hate this guy but loved the coach that left under heat for minor violations . One played played a lot and the other could have been a great lineman if he could have stayed healthy. I understand personalities and have always given this guy a pass as I would think others might feel differently.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, is your lack of love based on results or personality or both? I am friends with two previous linemen (family friends) that hate this guy but loved the coach that left under heat for minor violations . One played played a lot and the other could have been a great lineman if he could have stayed healthy. I understand personalities and have always given this guy a pass as I would think others might feel differently.

Both...I know personally some recruits he has mishandled big time...as well as his personality and the lack of improvement from the OL.

I really liked Coach Spencer...thought he was easily our best OL coach and hated to see him go. The players I know liked him as well...There is not many that seem to like Sewak...including the staff.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Both...I know personally some recruits he has mishandled big time...as well as his personality and the lack of improvement from the OL.

I really liked Coach Spencer...thought he was easily our best OL coach and hated to see him go. The players I know liked him as well...There is not many that seem to like Sewak...including the staff.
I am not around many of the players and know only four families that have had kids play under pj. Two of those I mentioned. Thanks for your thoughts.

Yella-Britches

Georgia Tech Fan
Senior associate athletic director Ryan Bamford confirmed that Walkosky was no longer part of the program and added “That’s probably about all I can tell you.”- From AJC Article.

This is weird. I don't know if that quote means it's all he can say because he doesn't know or if he mean it's all he can say because he was told not to say anything more.
I'm no psychologist but to me the statement reads, "this was something the Institution had to do and it's nobody's business but the coach's and the Institution's". I am curious like others to understand what has actually happened!

THWG!!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
His numbers look good on paper but we had a lot of holes scheme wise on special teams, especially in coverage. I think he benefited a lot from having Poole and Butker both who are good players...Besides that on the recruiting trail yes he has built some good in roads but he has not signed a single player that he was responsible for in the last two years. I am not saying he is a awful coach just think it is not a big loss overall.

I do think we will go back to the two OL coaches...but it makes no sense to me why we didn't make this move pre Spring if that is CPJ's plan...I would like the move overall because I think Sewak is terrible but the timing just seems off.

Eric, Sewak was 10x worst than walkosky, yet paul makes a bizarre change to go back to 2 OL coaches because sewak is an obvious weak link, a friend and will never be fired

Mike Sewak is a awful coach. The OL got worse the DAY Spencer left. IT IS A FACT. Yet we cover is arse. I am so dumbfounded. Get rid of sewak and hire a new sp teams coach and a new OL coach. This is easy :)

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Coach W must of had something very odd come up. He was given a new contract back in April. It does not make sense that he would be canned now by Georgia Tech if something was not a amiss .