Dave Walkosky gone

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Has left the staff per Pete Roussel at coachingsearch.com

Big loss in the recruiting department since he opened doors to the Midwest.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is there a reason? I know CPJ mentioned making some changes, but in regards to the OL coaching. Is there plans to bring in a coach to help coach OLs like in the first years CPJ was here?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Is there a reason? I know CPJ mentioned making some changes, but in regards to the OL coaching. Is there plans to bring in a coach to help coach OLs like in the first years CPJ was here?

This one caught me by surprise. Wasn't the coach I expected. When/if I learn something I will pass it on.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe to give Sewak a spring to prove he didn't need the help? I have no inside knowledge, just speculating. CPJ will never fire Sewak IMO, so he may be trying everything.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Maybe to give Sewak a spring to prove he didn't need the help? I have no inside knowledge, just speculating. CPJ will never fire Sewak IMO, so he may be trying everything.

He has been here 6 full years...No way he should have had one Spring to prove or not prove something. His body of work over the last 6 years answers that question. IF CPJ fired him just to hire another OL coach now that would not make a ton of sense to me.

And FWIW I am not a big fan of Coach Walk but the whole timing of this is strange to me.

thwgjacket

He has been here 6 full years...No way he should have had one Spring to prove or not prove something. His body of work over the last 6 years answers that question. IF CPJ fired him just to hire another OL coach now that would not make a ton of sense to me.

And FWIW I am not a big fan of Coach Walk but the whole timing of this is strange to me.
Can you elaborate on why you are not a big fan? No sarcasm, just would genuinely like to know. Sewak has coached with CPJ for like 20 out of the last 25 years. I don't see CPJ firing him but him bringing a guy in to be co-offensive line coach like the first few years at Tech. Not saying it's a good move, just saying I've heard it's what is happening here.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Just a thought. I just know how loyal PJ is to Sewak, and was thinking maybe he had let him know that things had to get better on the OL. Spring may have just reinforced the need for help there, or maybe PJ was actively looking for some help, found it, then cut loose the most expendable piece? Speculation. We have seen him find a replacement before (Groh) before he got rid of Wommack.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Can you elaborate on why you are not a big fan? No sarcasm, just would genuinely like to know. Sewak has coached with CPJ for like 20 out of the last 25 years. I don't see CPJ firing him but him bringing a guy in to be co-offensive line coach like the first few years at Tech. Not saying it's a good move, just saying I've heard it's what is happening here.

His numbers look good on paper but we had a lot of holes scheme wise on special teams, especially in coverage. I think he benefited a lot from having Poole and Butker both who are good players...Besides that on the recruiting trail yes he has built some good in roads but he has not signed a single player that he was responsible for in the last two years. I am not saying he is a awful coach just think it is not a big loss overall.

I do think we will go back to the two OL coaches...but it makes no sense to me why we didn't make this move pre Spring if that is CPJ's plan...I would like the move overall because I think Sewak is terrible but the timing just seems off.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Just a thought. I just know how loyal PJ is to Sewak, and was thinking maybe he had let him know that things had to get better on the OL. Spring may have just reinforced the need for help there, or maybe PJ was actively looking for some help, found it, then cut loose the most expendable piece? Speculation. We have seen him find a replacement before (Groh) before he got rid of Wommack.

As you said who knows...but his loyalty to Sewak is not a good thing in my eyes.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
As you said who knows...but his loyalty to Sewak is not a good thing in my eyes.

I think it's that Sewak knows this offense on a level that nobody else on the staff does and he likes having that experience around. FWIW, Sewak's offense when he was head coach at GSU were incredible. Record setting stuff. He was just such a departure from PJ's authoritarian style that he lost discipline and academics suffered. He knows the O as well as PJ, but I think the same problems he had running the whole show at Southern show up in mental mistakes on the OL here.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the guy PJ wants to bring in couldn't leave where he was just yet. Don't know that. Just could be a possibility.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I would say there's a possibility we may lose one more coach as well. Now that the spring football is over everywhere, there may be openings that come up at other places.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
CPJ never wanted a special teams coach. I think his hand was kinda forced to hire one when a spot opened.

I agree with consensus here that the timing is crazy.

Last edited:

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
His numbers look good on paper but we had a lot of holes scheme wise on special teams, especially in coverage. I think he benefited a lot from having Poole and Butker both who are good players...Besides that on the recruiting trail yes he has built some good in roads but he has not signed a single player that he was responsible for in the last two years. I am not saying he is a awful coach just think it is not a big loss overall.

I do think we will go back to the two OL coaches...but it makes no sense to me why we didn't make this move pre Spring if that is CPJ's plan...I would like the move overall because I think Sewak is terrible but the timing just seems off.
Don't forget that the year he came on to GT he had Jamal Golden as KR. Pretty easy to improve KR's stats with that guy back there.