Dave Patenaude's Offense

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
We are tied for 25th in sacks this season so far (41st in average) and 37th in TFL per game. Our pass rush isn't why we are losing. Our secondary is a major problem right now on defense, but our DL has been better than I had hoped for.
I agree with this statement. I feel better about the dline especially considering that besides Ckayton they are all freshmen and sophomores. I am extremely disappointed with the secondary play. Too many busted assignments. Too many big pass plays. We need to do a better job making teams earn their way down the field instead of giving up all these 20+ yard passing plays.

Deleted member 2897

Update on Offensive Improvement, last year versus this year.

2019 Offense: 286 yards per game, 16.7 points per game.
2020 Offense: 392.4 yards per game, 25.8 points per game.
The scoring is uncorrected for non-offensive scores and overtimes. (For example, we actually scored 13 points per game last year in regulation on offense.)

Jeff Sims:
1,492 passing yards per game with 11 TDs, 385 rushing yards per game with 4 TDs. 235 total yards per game and 1.75 TDs per game. 3 INTs total the last 5 games.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

The scoring is uncorrected for non-offensive scores and overtimes. (For example, we actually scored 13 points per game last year in regulation on offense.)

Jeff Sims:
1,492 passing yards per game with 11 TDs, 385 rushing yards per game with 4 TDs. 235 total yards per game and 1.75 TDs per game. 3 INTs total the last 5 games.

Looking forward to Jeff Sims raising the Heisman this year with those per game numbers ;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In case you were wondering:

2019 Offensive FEI: 100
2020 Offensive FEI (to date): 77

We've gone from putrid, to less putrid. Luckily, we can still improve on the 2020 numbers since we still have some games to play.

For the heck of it:

2019 Defensive FEI: 96
2020 Defensive FEI (to date): 72

Same story with our defense. From putrid to less putrid. GT students are use to doing enough to "get out", hopefully both sides of the ball "get out" of the putrid zone for 2020.

Last edited:

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer

Jeff Sims:
Looking forward to 498.8 yards per game and 34.9 points per game next year because we all know growth is linear. In all seriousness, we should be looking at 450 ypg and 30+ ppg next year. Couple that with an improved defense and we should start seeing more wins.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Looking forward to 498.8 yards per game and 34.9 points per game next year because we all know growth is linear. In all seriousness, we should be looking at 450 ypg and 30+ ppg next year. Couple that with an improved defense and we should start seeing more wins.
I think it's gonna start getting really fun, soon. We are seeing improvements across the board. Hopefully we've gotten over the hump.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck

We've gone from putrid, to less putrid. Luckily, we can still improve on the 2020 numbers since we still have some games to play.

For the heck of it:

Same story with our defense. From putrid to less putrid. GT students are use to doing enough to "get out", hopefully both sides of the ball "get out" of the putrid zone for 2020.

With the teams GT has played and the youth the team has its kinda remarkable.

Deleted member 2897

For the heck of it:

Knowing we've had 19 turnovers (yikes) in 8 games helps that #77 offensive FEI not feel so bad. Offensive FEI is basically the per possession scoring advantage. Our turnover rate (OTO) is 5th from the bottom in the entirety of FBS. We're averaging 1.92 points per drive. If we had just 1 turnover per game, we'd average 3 more points per game, and that would land our FEI somewhere around #50. We've also been losing 2-3 points per game from kicking, which would move our FEI up to somewhere around #30-35.

On a side note, and to stress the importance of turnovers as it relates to winning games, Duke is single worst in the entire FBS in offensive turnover rate, Louisville is 7th worst, and Florida State is 24th worst out of 130 teams FEI covers. We all saw how UCF, Syracuse, and Boston College were each winnable games, if not for all the turnovers and defensive scores we gave up....UCF we had 5 turnovers, Syracuse we had 5 turnovers, Boston College we had 3. UCF, Syracuse, and Boston had 2, 1, and 0 turnovers themselves. A turnover margin of -3, -4, and -3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
All I know is when we win the battle along the line of scrimmage, our coaches are suddenly brilliant and our backs are superstars. When we lose that same battle in the trenches, our coaches stink and our backs are all lazy.
I agree with you, except . . . I've seen Gibbs do stuff this year even when he wasn't getting blocks. He's a difference maker we haven't had since Calvin.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

For the heck of it:

Ah, come on now. I promise you there isn't a person on this board more negative about the head ball coach and a sometimes dense offensive scheme. And I can see by the contributions to the discussions that there is less enthusiasm for the program than in the past. But, really. Let's take what we are given, or what they earn, and enjoy it. (If you can't enjoy walloping that ego-filled Duke team, then nothing works for you.)

I get it. We ain't very good. I hope we get better. In the meantime, I will take what we get and go on to the next game. I still hope I don't get a chance to say I told you so.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

For the heck of it:

I think this is a little misleading with regards to offense. We are better on offense, but played Clemson and ND in the first half. The offensive rank will improve by EOY. Defense has been pretty bad

Now what is good on offense? Eyeball test tells me we still can’t sustain drives, but have a much better ability to create explosive plays. Now we need to work on consistency and we will be on to something.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ah, come on now. I promise you there isn't a person on this board more negative about the head ball coach and a sometimes dense offensive scheme. And I can see by the contributions to the discussions that there is less enthusiasm for the program than in the past. But, really. Let's take what we are given, or what they earn, and enjoy it. (If you can't enjoy walloping that ego-filled Duke team, then nothing works for you.)

I get it. We ain't very good. I hope we get better. In the meantime, I will take what we get and go on to the next game. I still hope I don't get a chance to say I told you so.

If you read my post, you know I've defended Patenaude in the past, and I'm a CGC fan...but the numbers are the numbers. We have some REALLY nice pieces on offense and defense, and they need to grow with our coaches. I expect these numbers to improve greatly over time...but as of right now, that's what they are: Not very pretty.

I'm sure if you would have looked at O'Leary's first couple of years back as HC or Ross's first few years we would have seen the same ugly numbers. The bulk of our high level talent is young, and we have talent coming in. Recruiting is definitely heading in the right direction.

Year over year there's a definite improvement, and we're seeing it on the field. Last year it was just executing the plays and getting the system down, this year is about consistency....and that's a reflection of a young team. I expect a bigger leap next season. We are seeing that this offense can be pretty explosive in the air AND on the ground.

Better days are definitely ahead.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Actually other boards I frequent are more positive than this one. I check in here just to see what people are bitching about.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Alas, it seldom works that way in college football. The schedule could be tougher, the quarterback could get into a spat with his girlfriend, injuries, turnovers, people leave, others come in, as Spurrier used to say at Florida when things would happen with players: "We were not ready to play because of this, that, and the other but it got straightened out." One thing is for sure, Geoff really needs to win more than three or four games next year.