Dave Patenaude's Offense

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
2nd and 1, 3rd and 1 we can't convert. Why do we not know how to get 1 yard???? I do not like this offense. I like Gibbs. He's fun, but that's it. There is nothing good about an offense that can't consistently get 1 yard!!!!!!
So far we have no commitment for gaining critical short yards to maintain possession. We stay in the same formations (primarily for passing), stay in shot gun, do not seem to have power formations, do not load up with heavier personnel, and do not have any track record for success. This is disgusting to watch. One yard to go is an opportunity to not turn the ball over (talked about by the coaches constantly) but there seems to be no priority or commitment. This is a manly issue and we are taking a boy approach.

Deleted member 2897

I'm not saying Clemson specifically has a weakness, was referring to all teams we play in general but maybe get under center and try to push instead of starting in shotgun, or do something where you get a guy 1 on 1 with the ball quickly where the disadvantage is less and may be beaten with a small mistake. What we ran was about the equivalent of setting your passcode to 0000 or 1234 and hoping that keeps you secure.

Reported for publishing my passwords.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm not saying Clemson specifically has a weakness, was referring to all teams we play in general but maybe get under center and try to push instead of starting in shotgun, or do something where you get a guy 1 on 1 with the ball quickly where the disadvantage is less and may be beaten with a small mistake. What we ran was about the equivalent of setting your passcode to 0000 or 1234 and hoping that keeps you secure.

Why do have to bust this under center myth every week?

Quick question: Was Clemson under center for any of their 3rd/4th short?

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, CDP should’ve thrown 50 yd vertical or swing pass to Gibbs, maybe we should’ve lined in flexbone & ran triple That would’ve definitely got Clemson

This is what laughable by these comments, there is nothing he could’ve done that would’ve pleased you guys. Attack Clemson weakness? Lol what weakness
This is a situation where we really miss a guy like mason. Gibbs is amazing and a better contact runner than I thought, but he isn't Mason. Dontae Smith is a little bit of a "Gibbs-lite" and Griffin has had some moments.

Im not saying Mason gets the one yard there but he is better getting through the trash.

BTW running up the middle sets up everything else. There were posters asking for trick plays - those only work when the other team isn't beating you like a red-headed stepchild. Like against louisville (fake punt and WR reverse pass)

Deleted member 2897

They played Clemson yesterday.
Did you watch what they did to Miami the week before?

As a reminder versus Clemson:
Miami offense: 210 yards, 10 points.
Georgia Tech offense: 204 yards, 7 points.

Miami was #5 in the nation and undefeated in that game.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
2nd and 1, 3rd and 1 we can't convert. Why do we not know how to get 1 yard???? I do not like this offense. I like Gibbs. He's fun, but that's it. There is nothing good about an offense that can't consistently get 1 yard!!!!!!
I just watched Cleveland’s #1 rushing offense fail to make it on 4th and 1 foot. Against a really good D, it happens.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Why do have to bust this under center myth every week?

Quick question: Was Clemson under center for any of their 3rd/4th short?
Why do nfl teams line up under center every week 🤷‍♂️
I am certainly not a “every fourth and short under center” guy (I’ve even argued against it in the past) but claiming this is an argument to be disputed is silly. Removing under center completely from an offense is not good. Just like I believe removing shotgun from the offense is not good.
I do think we should have an under center threat for the pure sake of making defenses have to protect against the qb sneak every once in a while.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
As a reminder versus Clemson:
Miami offense: 210 yards, 10 points.
Georgia Tech offense: 204 yards, 7 points.

Miami was #5 in the nation and undefeated in that game.
Clemson was also trying to win for much longer in the game against Miami. Our game was over in the second quarter.

Milwaukee

Banned
Why do nfl teams line up under center every week 🤷‍♂️
I am certainly not a “every fourth and short under center” guy (I’ve even argued against it in the past) but claiming this is an argument to be disputed is silly. Removing under center completely from an offense is not good. Just like I believe removing shotgun from the offense is not good.
I do think we should have an under center threat for the pure sake of making defenses have to protect against the qb sneak every once in a while.

Watch the TN vs HOU game today and stop sounding ignorant. Game on the line and no qb under center. I’m not going to tell you to #stfu but you may want to.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Watch the TN vs HOU game today and stop sounding ignorant. Game on the line and no qb under center. I’m not going to tell you to #stfu but you may want to.
Did you read my entire post? I specifically said I don’t think you should line up under center all the time in 4th and 1. Are you telling me that this week in the nfl, 0 total plays are going to be 3rd/4th and 1 under center?

slugboy

Staff member
So, I looked, but the article is on Yahoo.

It doesn’t split out 3rd and 1, but for the numbers they looked at you’re better in 11 personnel and running out of shotgun.

I’m not sure where to find just 3rd and short yardage, but I’m sure someone has done it

ETA: This is just a guy I found today. There’s the old stats story of the mathematician who looked at all the planes that came back and the damage to them, and none had engine or cockpit damage, and he said to armor just those parts because no one was returning. When I look at stats, I try to ask whether this is the kind of person who’d ask the right questions, and I’m not sure this guy is.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*