Dave Patenaude's Offense

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If you want to search through tape and watch every play hoping to spin the blocking in a heavy option offense into the same blocking schemes used at the NFL level then be my guest. Should be good for a laugh.

Also, I am on record here wanting CPJ to leave before he ever announced he was retiring and wanting to hire Collins, although I would have been fine with Elliot as well. I don't really defend CPJ as much here as his players, many of which are still on the team. They aren't the terrible brain dead talentless nobodies that you guys have decided they are. It was possible to coach them up last year. We didn't do it.
They didn’t cut and basically ran a power I with option for the QB and TB. Nothing like what our linemen were asked to do.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Bro, dude, honcho, amigo, Im completely dumbfounded that you can't comprehend that going from 400+ ypg on average to 285 ypg on average, and going from 33.6 ppg to 16.7 ppg is an incredibly significant drop. My daughters kindergarten class may have room for you if you want to work on basic math skills. We were all expecting a drop in production. We weren't expecting to completely fall off a cliff and look like possibly the worst offense in the history of the program. Pretending that we couldn't have possibly done anything different to be better than the train wreck we were is completely stupid.
If you weren’t expecting a drop off a cliff that just shows your knowledge level. The only way that wasn’t going to happen is if we kept running the option.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why is anyone looking at stats, etc? None of that matters right now. Collins is not here to finish 8th in the league or be top 5 for yards per game. He is here to get GT into the top tier of college football. This year is just another rebuilding year along the way to recruiting ourselves out of mediocrity. All that matters is that high school players are liking what they see. Wins are nice as they are better than ugly losses but 2021 and beyond is what matters. 2015 hurt way more than last year.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Why is anyone looking at stats, etc? None of that matters right now. Collins is not here to finish 8th in the league or be top 5 for yards per game. He is here to get GT into the top tier of college football. This year is just another rebuilding year along the way to recruiting ourselves out of mediocrity. All that matters is that high school players are liking what they see. Wins are nice as they are better than ugly losses but 2021 and beyond is what matters. 2015 hurt way more than last year.
Transitioning not rebuilding, but I otherwise agree with everything except the last part I put in bold.

I still think what Collins is trying to do is not possible here given the hill and academic restrictions. It's not because I think Collins is a bad coach or recruiter.

Trying to run what we run and in your words "getting to the top tier of college football" is not possible without consistently recruiting in the top ten, which even our former athletes agree is likely not possible here. Again, this is not a knock on CGC or the staff, it's just given the restrictions of Tech.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Here are the last 4 years, offense and defense. I didn’t go 5 years back because, even though it was a great year, there’s really nothing left from that year, and it’s not really the trajectory of the program over the last few years.

Maybe I’ll graph or chart it, but in terms of total raw numbers, we’re looking better this year. 2019 was bad, and it’s arguable that it didn’t have to be that bad on offense or defense, but the offensive line was in rough shape to put it mildly. They’re closing in on being an average OL this year, with a possibility of being a good one in upcoming years. (Defense is not thrilling me, at a high-level glance).

2017:
PassRushTotaFirsPenaTurn
SplitGCmpAttPctYdsTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgPassRushPenTotNo.YdsFumIntTot
Offense113.910.736.484.30.957.5307.45.32.768.2391.65.72.915.31.319.54.035.80.90.51.4
Defense1117.830.358.9200.61.533.9153.64.51.464.2354.35.59.08.50.818.33.836.00.40.50.9
Difference-13.9-19.6-22.5-116.3-0.6+23.6+153.8+0.8+1.3+4.0+37.3+0.2-6.1+6.8+0.5+1.2+0.2-0.2+0.50.0+0.5

[thead] [/thead]

2018:
PassRushTotaFirsPenaTurn
Offense134.39.744.483.80.557.3325.15.73.567.0408.86.13.016.81.421.23.836.71.00.31.3
Defense1318.127.964.7211.31.834.0158.34.71.761.9369.66.09.69.60.920.24.335.30.90.91.8
Difference-13.8-18.2-20.3-127.5-1.3+23.3+166.8+1.0+1.8+5.1+39.2+0.1-6.6+7.2+0.5+1.0-0.5+1.4+0.1-0.6-0.5

[thead] [/thead]

PassRushTotaFirsPenaTurn
Offense1210.322.446.1133.91.237.3152.64.11.059.7286.54.85.38.31.615.14.841.10.80.81.7
Defense1216.727.660.4207.71.544.8215.64.82.372.4423.35.88.811.91.822.65.043.70.80.61.3
Difference-6.4-5.2-14.3-73.8-0.3-7.5-63.0-0.7-1.3-12.7-136.8-1.0-3.5-3.6-0.2-7.5-0.2-2.60.0+0.2+0.4

[thead] [/thead]

2020:
PassRushTotaFirsPenaTurn
Offense417.331.554.8239.31.542.5213.85.02.374.0453.06.110.011.50.822.39.872.01.02.03.0
Defense420.535.857.3259.52.343.8189.34.31.879.5448.85.610.810.81.022.58.067.31.50.82.3
Difference-3.2-4.3-2.5-20.2-0.8-1.3+24.5+0.7+0.5-5.5+4.2+0.5-0.8+0.7-0.2-0.2+1.8+4.7-0.5+1.2+0.7

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/12/2020.
You have to consider the whole body of work, you can't just leave off the best year and include the worst.

Also I've seen a list of excuses as to why the offense was so bad last year and why this year we are not scoring points, but I don't see any excuses as to why things weren't great in 15 to 18. The basically loss of the whole offense and lots of defense to injury, the fact that 17 and 18 were run by a QB who was there due to the top choices being injured (still putting up respectable points).

But I think we should all stop with the back and forth anyways, we don't run the option anymore, it's not coming back anytime soon (unless we change OC, still a very long shot under current HC). It doesn't help to bash the current offense and say how good the previous was, or the other way around (I acknowledge I have done this).I will try to stop doing so as well.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Comparing the GT transition to Nebraska is totally useless. Nebraska was using NFL size linemen with completely different blocking schemes that were more easily transferable to a more pro style scheme. GT had undersized lineman that were mostly used to cutting. The pass blocking was terrible the entire time CPJ was here. Add in the fact that our best lineman transferred and 2 others had season ending injuries forcing us to play walkons for significant portions of the season. CBC has talked about how he spent a good portion of the first spring just teaching basic fundamentals. We are even talking about simple things like stance and weight distribution. On top of that you have to have a cohesive oline which requires the right combination of players with many snaps together. That did not happen last year. Fast forward one year and we have a much bigger oline that has more experience. We added in an experienced transfer and a talented true freshman. The fact that these two are starting let's you know where our talent level was. If Cochran had enrolled we would have had 3 new starters who were not with the program last year. However, we have greatly improved from last year in almost every way on the oline. Kudos to the players for working hard and the coaches for coaching them up.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I swear some people on the board are related to CPJ. I guess they loved his .500 record his last 4 years. I loved Paul and he did some awesome things at tech but things had gotten stale. CGC is here and tech won’t go to the option again sorry🤷🏼‍♂️ regardless of what happens Collins will have tech in a 100x better situation talent wise than when CPJ was let go

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I posted this in another thread but it is of value here too. CGC isn’t taking this season for granted. This was his quote in the UoL post game presser:

“The biggest thing last year is we wanted to improve week to week, and we did that, won some games down the stretch, played some other really good teams really, really close, and then we’ve gotten better this year,” Collins said. “We’ve played some good ball, we’ve turned the ball over, had some unfortunate unforced errors that we learned from. But this group, and I told them, has a chance to be really good in the present. I don’t think we have to talk in future tense. The way they went to work the last two weeks, the process they’ve applied that they’ve learned the last 18 months, they’ve embraced it, and it paid off for them. I’m so proud of them.”

slugboy

Staff member
You have to consider the whole body of work, you can't just leave off the best year and include the worst.

Also I've seen a list of excuses as to why the offense was so bad last year and why this year we are not scoring points, but I don't see any excuses as to why things weren't great in 15 to 18. The basically loss of the whole offense and lots of defense to injury, the fact that 17 and 18 were run by a QB who was there due to the top choices being injured (still putting up respectable points).

But I think we should all stop with the back and forth anyways, we don't run the option anymore, it's not coming back anytime soon (unless we change OC, still a very long shot under current HC). It doesn't help to bash the current offense and say how good the previous was, or the other way around (I acknowledge I have done this).I will try to stop doing so as well.
If you think my focus was on flexbone, then you missed the point, which was to get trending information. I looked at a four year period, because those years include players likely to still be in the program. Going back 5 years was a remote possibility, but I considered it a stretch for various reasons. Two years hardly makes a trend.
Last year was terrible, but if you only look at the past two years, then this year looks even better in comparison.
I’ve already compared the offensive numbers to other ACC offenses.
If you do look beyond the numbers at last year, we 1) moved from a 3-4 to a 4-2-5 on defense—admittedly, only a short time in a 3-4 and 2) we were short handed on offensive line before starting/ATL players got injured.
Last year was worse than I expected, but my high bar for last year was merely approaching decent at best.

finalbuzzer

Georgia Tech Fan
One thing that some said when Coach Johnson retired that is worth remembering (although many others did not agree). At that time our football reputation was as a quasi service academy who could give you serious grief from time to time but overall the more often you played us the more likely you would win. Plus we could be overpowered if teams had outstanding defenses as we were in bowl games in 2 of our 3 best years (Iowa, LSU.)

By its nature that reputation and the fact that our returning players were recruited for (on offense) and trained in practice facing (defense) the option did not give the greatest incentive for upcoming young coaches to choose us. I believe we were very lucky that Coach Collins had a relationship with us and believed in Georgia Tech as a place which he could build his career and that AD Stanbury recognized that and gave him the room to operate with a long-term deal.

You can complain about his marketing and vibe, etc but something was necessary to change us from being seen as the odd duck to being one that is in the mix, especially for recruting.Neither offensive nor defensive recruits view us with the previous lens now and it was amazing that Collins and coaches could get such a class the first time out. Sims and Gibbs are two of the best freshmen anywhere in CFB and they will have teammates that join them in the accolade shower in coming weeks and years.

Like the gentleman in the other thread I really feel good about the trajectory we are on. I am will be especially interested this year in how well we compete when we don't lose the turnover battle, We are young and I expect mistakes but I think our talent disparity will be best evaluated when we are even or better in takeaways.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I swear some people on the board are related to CPJ. I guess they loved his .500 record his last 4 years. I loved Paul and he did some awesome things at tech but things had gotten stale. CGC is here and tech won’t go to the option again sorry🤷🏼‍♂️ regardless of what happens Collins will have tech in a 100x better situation talent wise than when CPJ was let go
they were happy with .500 ball as long as they could beat off about how well the offense works because it gained 300-400 yards on the ground and dominated time of possession

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe some of us are just expressing an opinion that the offense was worse last year than it should have been. I have no idea why you guys are so butt hurt about that notion. This place is snowflake heaven.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What topic will last longer despite its irrelevance to today?

Coach Paul Johnson and the option?

OR

Hilary's emails?

:LOL:
Until we are allowed to criticize the current coaching staff without half of the board going into a crying meltdown the CPJ stuff is probably going to keep going.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
😂 best thread ever. Dude is literally mad that GT won this weekend. Like 10 toes down, backed in a corner, obnoxiously making no sense but still trying to piss on the staff about the 2019 campaign. 😂 Ya love to see it.
Cant believe you took time away from watching home videos of Clay Travis to even see my posts. I’m honored.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
And we have been over 400 yards every game this year, and you're still mad. Did our staff get that much better at coaching or was last year a band-aid year? We've all come to terms with it.
let it go GIF
I’m not even remotely mad. This is entertaining to me.