Dave Patenaude's Offense

BeeStorm

Banned
Going into 14 there were some nay sayers about cpj. He hit a hot streak with a senior ladened team. It appeared the ol solution had been found. I think we tech fans agree that the last 4 games are legendary.

With most of the ol returning we gave cpj a good raise and a good contract. The post raise record was disappointing. After winning orange bowl , I thought we were on a roll. Turns out se needed a sr ladened team and a new ol scheme to be successful.

Bingo. As soon as all the talent left the team, he needed guys that had been in the system for 3+ years to make a difference in breaking CGE.

Jmonty71

Banned
You need to rewatch some video from last year. It was a common occurrence for the DL to have penetration almost instantaneously after the snap. Add to that the fact that NONE of our starting QBs had any P5 offers to play QB and you have the recipe for the disaster we witnessed last season.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and this offensive transition wasn't ever going to be smooth.
Yes and no. There are some things can be done. But, doesn't matter. We didn't do them and honestly, I'm not sure any of those would worked. So, it's a moot point. Rolling out of the pocket and such. But, yeah, there has to be some sort of blocking done. I think it will correct itself. As we add more normal type O-linemen, it should get better. I do recall for years our OL did nothing more than flop at someone's feet. So, going from flopping to actual blocking is a big jump in itself.

Scubapro

Banned
If he proves unable to get the job done then you better believe the Tech community will hold him to the same standard. In fact if you’ve been reading this and any other boards you should already know that he’s really the only assistant coach that has been getting grief from the Tech community thus far. Personally I’m still not sold on him but I’m not going to judge him on one year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's funny how everyone say you can't judge him on one year. There are multiple videos on you tube of his time at Coastal Carolina. He called the same plays last year at Tech as he did at CC. There were no different wrinkles or formation changes. He is 20+ years into his career. Him changing is unlikely.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It's funny how everyone say you can't judge him on one year. There are multiple videos on you tube of his time at Coastal Carolina. He called the same plays last year at Tech as he did at CC. There were no different wrinkles or formation changes. He is 20+ years into his career. Him changing is unlikely.

That Coastal Oline was better than we what trotted out on the field

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

I watched a bunch of those videos. Seems to me he had success there. Also seems to me we didn’t have the players to execute what almost any offense other than triple option would want to do. So it’s actually completely reasonable for a rational person to say it’s too early to judge him. If next year we see more of the same then that will lead many, myself included, to question more strongly if he can handle it.

It seems irrational to think last year was a fair test of his abilities. But the fact that we did so poorly makes next year even more critical for him because he showed he isn’t super flexible.

BTW there was plenty of evidence in Pete Carroll’s career coaching in the NFL to suggest he would fail with the Seahawks. His super bowl ring they won would say otherwise.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I watched a bunch of those videos. Seems to me he had success there. Also seems to me we didn’t have the players to execute what almost any offense other than triple option would want to do. So it’s actually completely reasonable for a rational person to say it’s too early to judge him. If next year we see more of the same then that will lead many, myself included, to question more strongly if he can handle it.

It seems irrational to think last year was a fair test of his abilities. But the fact that we did so poorly makes next year even more critical for him because he showed he isn’t super flexible.

BTW there was plenty of evidence in Pete Carroll’s career coaching in the NFL to suggest he would fail with the Seahawks. His super bowl ring they won would say otherwise.

The fact that Patenaude went nearly 30 years without coaching in P5 football in any position, before coming to GT is enough to judge him on. Hopefully we don't waste too much time with him.

Scubapro

Banned
When did Hawaii or Navy become P5?
My apologies...D1 or FBS or whatever they want to call it now.
Point is Patenaude's resume includes Coast Guard, Hofstra and Coastal Carolina and saying that compares to CPJ's is crazy. CDP is a position coach at best IMO. And no, I am not holding on to PJ ...his time had past ...it played out and its over. Time to move on.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
The fact that Patenaude went nearly 30 years without coaching in P5 football in any position, before coming to GT is enough to judge him on. Hopefully we don't waste too much time with him.

You are welcome to have passed judgement on him as you clearly have. And you may be right. But you also might not be.

I have reservations about Patenaude for the same reasons you’ve passed that judgment. So I am not at all discounting what you are saying. But at this point I don’t know how much of our difficulties last year might relate to his weakness vs the parts we had available to run what he is good at.

You are welcome to have passed judgement on him as you clearly have. And you may be right. But you also might not be.

I have reservations about Patenaude for the same reasons you’ve passed that judgment. So I am not at all discounting what you are saying. But at this point I don’t know how much of our difficulties last year might relate to his weakness vs the parts we had available to run what he is good at.

I think we will learn for sure early in the 2020 season. If we continue to see the mind-bogggling play calling that we saw most of last year, I think the verdict will be clear.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
My apologies...D1 or FBS or whatever they want to call it now.
Point is Patenaude's resume includes Coast Guard, Hofstra and Coastal Carolina and saying that compares to CPJ's is crazy. CDP is a position coach at best IMO. And no, I am not holding on to PJ ...his time had past ...it played out and its over. Time to move on.
It doesn't compare to CPJ's at all. That would be a silly comparison. But, he has also been an O-coordinator for the past 10 years. Why does that relegate him to being a position coach now?

Scubapro

Banned
It doesn't compare to CPJ's at all. That would be a silly comparison. But, he has also been an O-coordinator for the past 10 years. Why does that relegate him to being a position coach now?
He was an O Cord at Hofstra, Georgetown, CC and Temple with little success...yeah...IMO he reached his Peter principle as a position coach.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Like Coach Johnson?
The same Paul Johnson that didn’t stay an OC and had a gradual progression upward for his entire career? No, not like that at all. If it takes you 26 years to snag a coordinator position at an FBS school, it’s pretty fair to ask why. It’s also fair to ask why he hasn’t had any success since moving up to this level. I would probably go easier on him if we had an offensive minded head coach. We don’t. It’s all on him and he doesn’t have a track record that would lead anyone to believe he will be successful.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The same Paul Johnson that didn’t stay an OC and had a gradual progression upward for his entire career? No, not like that at all. If it takes you 26 years to snag a coordinator position at an FBS school, it’s pretty fair to ask why. It’s also fair to ask why he hasn’t had any success since moving up to this level. I would probably go easier on him if we had an offensive minded head coach. We don’t. It’s all on him and he doesn’t have a track record that would lead anyone to believe he will be successful.

Michael Jackson would be proud of this moonwalk.

Define success? I’m pretty sure his offense got CCU the FCS title gm

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
When Johnson coached at Navy the big east was still a thing navy's schedule was usually 4 what would later be known as p5 schools 2 big east schools 1 fcs school and then airforce and army. and 3 lower level g5s. He played rutgers yearly and most of the time they were ranked but they were i think big east so i wasn't counting them as p5 at the time or it would be 5 p5 teams a year. Which honestly 6 games against major teams (big east had major bowl tie ins) 1 fcs and then army and airforce and rounding out the schedule with lower fbs is only 1 game off of the average p5 schedule at the time for teams without an SEC/ACC rivalry (if we went back and looked at Duke schedules from 03-07 i be they look similiar). So hard to compare Navy with anywhere as it always has been.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
When Johnson coached at Navy the big east was still a thing navy's schedule was usually 4 what would later be known as p5 schools 2 big east schools 1 fcs school and then airforce and army. and 3 lower level g5s. He played rutgers yearly and most of the time they were ranked but they were i think big east so i wasn't counting them as p5 at the time or it would be 5 p5 teams a year. Which honestly 6 games against major teams (big east had major bowl tie ins) 1 fcs and then army and airforce and rounding out the schedule with lower fbs is only 1 game off of the average p5 schedule at the time for teams without an SEC/ACC rivalry (if we went back and looked at Duke schedules from 03-07 i be they look similiar). So hard to compare Navy with anywhere as it always has been.
Who Cares?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Who Cares?

Seems this particular thread has gone towards trying to compare the current OC with Johnson. Navy at the time was seen about like what would be considered a p5 school in scheduling, they often played a p5 school in bowls. And Johnsons's success at turning navy around is why he was offered the job at tech in the first place as GT was seen as closer to a service academy by DRAD than a traditional school. It is very true that the current OC went his entire career without any p5 experience. It is also true that by current conference alignments so did Johnson, but you have to look at the entire picture when comparing careers.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Seems this particular thread has gone towards trying to compare the current OC with Johnson. Navy at the time was seen about like what would be considered a p5 school in scheduling, they often played a p5 school in bowls. And Johnsons's success at turning navy around is why he was offered the job at tech in the first place as GT was seen as closer to a service academy by DRAD than a traditional school. It is very true that the current OC went his entire career without any p5 experience. It is also true that by current conference alignments so did Johnson, but you have to look at the entire picture when comparing careers.

So now we must look at the entire picture? That’s exactly what was not happening in this thread. Let’s judge an OC with no OL and misfit pieces