Dave Patenaude’s vision for Georgia Tech offense clarifying

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I always thought CPJ’s offense was tough on the offensive line, mentally and physically. So much so that I felt like the success of our season hinged on the health and effectiveness of the offensive line. Maybe it was not really this way...just a feeling. With the new offense, I think they won’t be running, diving, and crawling as much so it seems like it would be a tad easier to have good substitutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The line calls and speed w power in the trenches was our difference maker. Guys took a beating while giving out a beating.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Too much option - which is not necessary - will only lead to dampening the recruiting progress we have made.

Time to start embracing the fact that we now have a staff that at least acknowledges there are 3 parts to a team while on the field.

If we, today, where at the same point as we were this time one year ago the level of excitement and anticipation would have been in the negative.
You are going to see a ton of option and it won't hurt recruiting. When I say option, I am not saying under center veer stuff from the flexbone like before. I pretty much guarantee you will see read option stuff off the deep snap quite a bit. There will even be RPO stuff mixed in. Pretty much every college team is incorporating option into their offense. If you think we are going to just do deep hand offs with zone blocking and play action passing like UGAg, I would say you are most probably wrong. Get used to the idea that our QBs will have a huge impact on the run game. That won't be going away.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All option are created equal. We were not read option team per se. i believe it’ll be sprinkled in but we will be a inside/outside run team
I'm not as versed as you are in schemes - although I had learned the TO somewhat and was learning defense from you - so thank you. When you say inside/outside are you referring to zone blocking that allows the runner to go outside or inside depending on the blocking?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm not as versed as you are in schemes - although I had learned the TO somewhat and was learning defense from you - so thank you. When you say inside/outside are you referring to zone blocking that allows the runner to go outside or inside depending on the blocking?

It refers to the blocking of the OL.

Inside zone: OLine stepping play side getting to their landmark usually with the Run hitting btw the guards unless

Outside zone: OLine is getting more width/lateral in attempt to get to assignment outside shoulder. This run should hit off tackle unless their over pursuit

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah technique and talent are important, but not if you aren't identifying the right guy to block right away.
I wouldn't worry about that too much with an OL that played in the spread option. Shoot, in our old offense, you never knew what direction the play was going to take until the QB (usually; no need on dives) called it at the line right before the snap. And, of course, the direction of the play changed the blocking assignments for the OL. Hence, Paul's complaints about missed assignments. The kind of zone blocking techniques used in a shotgun are a lot easier to master.

The pass blocking … well, imho, that's what will take a tad bit of practice. But that'll probably come around too.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Just from some comments made by people who would know, the OL kids seem to much prefer both the new way of blocking over the old skills needed as well as really glad to not have to deal with our past OL coach. Yep, they really like CBK, but doubt that surprises anyone.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Just from some comments made by people who would know, the OL kids seem to much prefer both the new way of blocking over the old skills needed as well as really glad to not have to deal with our past OL coach. Yep, they really like CBK, but doubt that surprises anyone.
Well Clemson will In for a surprise then! Lol They’re use to stepping over our OL. Now they have to deal with them actually standing up and getting leverage....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I always thought CPJ’s offense was tough on the offensive line, mentally and physically. So much so that I felt like the success of our season hinged on the health and effectiveness of the offensive line. Maybe it was not really this way...just a feeling. With the new offense, I think they won’t be running, diving, and crawling as much so it seems like it would be a tad easier to have good substitutes.

And you think it will make it easier on the O line? Ever watch those guys at work? One might argue cut blocking, but there is running and diving and crawling in any O line just to get at the defense before the defense gets an advantage. Option or zone blocking, those guys get beat up.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't worry about that too much with an OL that played in the spread option. Shoot, in our old offense, you never knew what direction the play was going to take until the QB (usually; no need on dives) called it at the line right before the snap. And, of course, the direction of the play changed the blocking assignments for the OL. Hence, Paul's complaints about missed assignments. The kind of zone blocking techniques used in a shotgun are a lot easier to master.

The pass blocking … well, imho, that's what will take a tad bit of practice. But that'll probably come around too.
Big ol shamire w his deep voice would relay the call and the tackle couldn't hear him.

Wish we had him here and he had a year w this S&C.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
And you think it will make it easier on the O line? Ever watch those guys at work? One might argue cut blocking, but there is running and diving and crawling in any O line just to get at the defense before the defense gets an advantage. Option or zone blocking, those guys get beat up.

If you don’t, you weren’t paying attention.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
You are going to see a ton of option and it won't hurt recruiting. When I say option, I am not saying under center veer stuff from the flexbone like before. I pretty much guarantee you will see read option stuff off the deep snap quite a bit. There will even be RPO stuff mixed in. Pretty much every college team is incorporating option into their offense. If you think we are going to just do deep hand offs with zone blocking and play action passing like UGAg, I would say you are most probably wrong. Get used to the idea that our QBs will have a huge impact on the run game. That won't be going away.

It’s just the shotgun man. We could’ve run the exact same plays the last decade out of shotgun instead of under center and the headline would’ve been how innovative CPJ had become. The offense wouldn’t have been as effective, but recruiting would have been fine.

Look at Clemson’s offense. They run a shotgun mesh on basically every play. But nobody dogged them about a “boring offense” or “running the same play the whole game.”

And I’ll never forget them running 4 plays out of shotgun from inside the 5 against FSU, failing to punch it in, and losing the game because of it.