Dave Patenaude’s vision for Georgia Tech offense clarifying

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good article. Nothing secret, but worth a quick perusal.
Expect some players to line up in multiple positions.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ch-offense-clarifying/NRtsFzWtTW2IS681UUb0xJ/

“I have a pretty good idea of what we’re going to want to be,” Patenaude said Thursday, following the Yellow Jackets’ second practice of the preseason. “I’m obviously not going to tell anybody else that. But I think we have a good general idea of what the guys are doing.”

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ch-offense-clarifying/NRtsFzWtTW2IS681UUb0xJ/

“I have a pretty good idea of what we’re going to want to be,” Patenaude said Thursday, following the Yellow Jackets’ second practice of the preseason. “I’m obviously not going to tell anybody else that. But I think we have a good general idea of what the guys are doing.”

I always thought CPJ’s offense was tough on the offensive line, mentally and physically. So much so that I felt like the success of our season hinged on the health and effectiveness of the offensive line. Maybe it was not really this way...just a feeling. With the new offense, I think they won’t be running, diving, and crawling as much so it seems like it would be a tad easier to have good substitutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot hinges on the OL, but more in understanding blocking schemes, recognizing defenses and blitz pickups, and communicating. They need to get to a point of doing this stuff automatically or the game will be too fast for them. Yeah technique and talent are important, but not if you aren't identifying the right guy to block right away.

We'll probably still run the ball a lot. I think the hardest thing will be getting the touches for everybody who shows they deserve them.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I am not at all surprised about Malachi Carter

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not as worried about the OL, in terms of learning the schemes, techniques, and assignments etc. I don't think there is a single more complicated blocking scheme with quicker reads required than the one they are transitioning away from. I feel pretty sure the present offense will be easier to digest and execute for the guys up front. I am more concerned about depth and body types and the like.

Without a doubt, we will be a more balanced team on offense. However, I suspect we will lean towards the run more than most programs. I am fine with that. Passing is great, but we have to move the sticks consistently. The rest of the CFB community seems to have a complete lack of respect for our ability to pass the ball, hence the low predictions. I don't really share that mainstream view at all. Our kids can throw. You have to remember, in our last offense, we mainly threw the ball vertically, as a change up, taking snaps under center with our OL lining up in wide splits with their butts up in the air. That will no longer be the case. Taking a SG snap and being deep and scanning the field earlier will be massive help. You can read blitzes immediately without having to finish your drop first. My prediction: we will look like a real passing offense once we add the dink and dunk stuff like other teams.

We will have a strong option component to the run game and our QBs are lethal with their feet. That is an advantage that must and will be exploited. I expect teams will really have to commit a lot of resources to keep our run game from grinding them in the dirt. That will open up play action and RPO stuff that our guys are very capable of executing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm not as worried about the OL, in terms of learning the schemes, techniques, and assignments etc. I don't think there is a single more complicated blocking scheme with quicker reads required than the one they are transitioning away from. I feel pretty sure the present offense will be easier to digest and execute for the guys up front. I am more concerned about depth and body types and the like.

Without a doubt, we will be a more balanced team on offense. However, I suspect we will lean towards the run more than most programs. I am fine with that. Passing is great, but we have to move the sticks consistently. The rest of the CFB community seems to have a complete lack of respect for our ability to pass the ball, hence the low predictions. I don't really share that mainstream view at all. Our kids can throw. You have to remember, in our last offense, we mainly threw the ball vertically, as a change up, taking snaps under center with our OL lining up in wide splits with their butts up in the air. That will no longer be the case. Taking a SG snap and being deep and scanning the field earlier will be massive help. You can read blitzes immediately without having to finish your drop first. My prediction: we will look like a real passing offense once we add the dink and dunk stuff like other teams.

We will have a strong option component to the run game and our QBs are lethal with their feet. That is an advantage that must and will be exploited. I expect teams will really have to commit a lot of resources to keep our run game from grinding them in the dirt. That will open up play action and RPO stuff that our guys are very capable of executing.
I like it and agree. The O will not be our Achilles heel. What’s your take on the D?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Too much option - which is not necessary - will only lead to dampening the recruiting progress we have made.

Time to start embracing the fact that we now have a staff that at least acknowledges there are 3 parts to a team while on the field.

If we, today, where at the same point as we were this time one year ago the level of excitement and anticipation would have been in the negative.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
How’s the pass rush? I don’t care if you have Deon back there, no pass rush makes a very bad D.

Pass rush was off and on, mostly only on when we blitzed or jumped the snap. At one point in practice there was a group on the south end of the field doing 7 on 7 and a comparable group on the north end doing 7 on 7 and a group in the middle which soon caught and kept my attention. It was an O line with one rusher at a time in a one on one brawl. Southers probably looked the best. No particular rusher looked the best as I recall. The drill as a whole was enlightening and very physical and overall looking much like a draw. No way to tell which group, if not both, are weak. There was certainly effort anyway.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Hot routes and a decent qb kill that strategy, nobody home over the middle or flat. Need pressure from DL.
There was plenty of pressure up front. Of course, still room for improvement, but I think we, and they, all know that. I think the ability is there, more reps should lead to more consistency. I do believe from what I saw today, overall, the D should be much improved in comparison to last year.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was expecting a lot of read option given comments coach P made the other day and just given the team. 1 Coach P made a big deal of adjusting his offense tot the skills of his players and not running a system offense - the players skills are the option 2) The option will take some of the pressure off of essentially a new offensive line given that all the techniques have changed - stance, how to block etc. 3) I Still think this plays right into Oliver's wheel house. He can throw enough and should be quit good at the read option.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I was expecting a lot of read option given comments coach P made the other day and just given the team. 1 Coach P made a big deal of adjusting his offense tot the skills of his players and not running a system offense - the players skills are the option 2) The option will take some of the pressure off of essentially a new offensive line given that all the techniques have changed - stance, how to block etc. 3) I Still think this plays right into Oliver's wheel house. He can throw enough and should be quit good at the read option.

All option are created equal. We were not read option team per se. i believe it’ll be sprinkled in but we will be a inside/outside run team

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Are we running any motion on O. Are we keeping an extra back to block at times on.passing downs?

Some TE motion and on running plays up the middle Tyler Davis in motion was helping make some big holes. Practice looks a lot like the Spring Game with so much subbing the teams seem to be dominated by walkons and freshmen everywhere. Lots of reps and chaos from my viewpoint. Obvious playmakers on O (besides the RBs and QBs) are Carter, Brown, and Tyler Davis. The OL is in substitution disaray and I saw 5 different centers. It is really hard to tell what is going on. I cannot see a need for a closed practice because watching one just leads to more questions. I am not being critical. I just think it is too early in Camp to draw conclusions.