Darren Waller Drunk and High on Sidelines vs Wofford 2014

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

Edit, don’t think he played in the game but still crazy to hear he was doing things like this while having a dominant 2014 season. If you can watch the whole thing do it, was a great listen hearing Darren share stories and how he eventually overcame substance abuse.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Edit, don’t think he played in the game but still crazy to hear he was doing things like this while having a dominant 2014 season. If you can watch the whole thing do it, was a great listen hearing Darren share stories and how he eventually overcame substance abuse.

Interesting. He was suspended for that game.

Georgia Tech senior wide receiver Darren Waller has been suspended for the first two games of the 2014 season for a violation of team rules, head coach Paul Johnson said Friday afternoon.

Waller played in 12 games last season with four starts. He had 17 receptions for 367 yards and three touchdowns, including a 72-yard TD reception against Ole Miss in the Franklin Mortgage Music City Bowl. For his career, Waller has played in 38 games with 25 receptions for 529 yards.

Georgia Tech's first two games of the season come against Wofford (Aug. 30) and Tulane (Sept. 6 in New Orleans).

-RamblinWreck.com

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Obviously different circumstances, but remember he played on the 2014 team with Deandre Smelter...and Smelter was just flat out dominant for us. You think about how good Waller is in the NFL now, and how amazing that WR corp would have been with Smelter on one side and a fully committed Waller on the other side. We saw flashes of how good Waller could have been when Smelter was out with an injury.

BTW...it's REALLY fun to go back and watch video of that 2014 team. Man, if we had a half decent defense that year...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I think hes embellishing a little here.... for one, suspended or not, if his *** showed up drunk and pilled out I think it's safe to assume CPJ probably would've kicked him off the team on the spot. Did he drink, yeah probably but dude was not loaded like he describes.

Regardless, the kid was definitely a knucklehead and he should be thanking whoever that he isnt locked up, broke or dead based off the way he was living. I'm super happy that he was able to turn his life around. Hopefully no more issues from him in the future.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
His great-grandad (that'd be Fats Waller) did that all the time and performed like a champ at every gig. Maybe it runs in the family.

I keed, I keed. I don't know what Fats's habits on this were. But there's no doubt at all that talent runs in that family. Big Time.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I think hes embellishing a little here.... for one, suspended or not, if his *** showed up drunk and pilled out I think it's safe to assume CPJ probably would've kicked him off the team on the spot. Did he drink, yeah probably but dude was not loaded like he describes.

Regardless, the kid was definitely a knucklehead and he should be thanking whoever that he isnt locked up, broke or dead based off the way he was living. I'm super happy that he was able to turn his life around. Hopefully no more issues from him in the future.
Yeah seems like he’s making seem worse than it was

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
How so? He says he played drunk and high in a game for which he was suspended, and wasn't even dressed out on the sidelines. Embellished is the most polite term to use.

Did we watch the same video? He never mentioned actually playing in the game and at the end of the video he states that being suspended, he knew he could do what ever he wanted before hand and mess around on the sidelines.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
How so? He says he played drunk and high in a game for which he was suspended, and wasn't even dressed out on the sidelines. Embellished is the most polite term to use.

He has told other stories where he was just completely off the rails. This does not seem out of the realm of possibility one bit. Also, he never said he was playing. He specifically said he was not playing in this game. Huge fan of his now for getting it back together!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The speculation and guessing here is ridiculous, from people who don’t even know the man. I knew him then, he’s not exaggerating.

I don't think there is much speculation. Everyone knew then he had a substance abuse problem. It wasn't exactly a secret. The biggest contention I've seen is mainly from the previous title of the thread. He obviously didn't play against Wofford while drunk and high. The new thread title makes a lot more sense.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there is much speculation. Everyone knew then he had a substance abuse problem. It wasn't exactly a secret. The biggest contention I've seen is mainly from the previous title of the thread. He obviously didn't play against Wofford while drunk and high. The new thread title makes a lot more sense.
Well, you obviously didn't watch the video and just made assumptions off the title then. Well done.