1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Darren Waller Drunk and High on Sidelines vs Wofford 2014

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by SteamWhistle, Mar 24, 2020.

1. SteamWhistle

SteamWhistle Helluva Engineer

Edit, don’t think he played in the game but still crazy to hear he was doing things like this while having a dominant 2014 season. If you can watch the whole thing do it, was a great listen hearing Darren share stories and how he eventually overcame substance abuse.

Adadu, majorQ9 and crut like this.
  2. Augusta_Jacket

Augusta_Jacket Helluva Engineer

Interesting. He was suspended for that game.

Georgia Tech senior wide receiver Darren Waller has been suspended for the first two games of the 2014 season for a violation of team rules, head coach Paul Johnson said Friday afternoon.

Waller played in 12 games last season with four starts. He had 17 receptions for 367 yards and three touchdowns, including a 72-yard TD reception against Ole Miss in the Franklin Mortgage Music City Bowl. For his career, Waller has played in 38 games with 25 receptions for 529 yards.

Georgia Tech's first two games of the season come against Wofford (Aug. 30) and Tulane (Sept. 6 in New Orleans).

-RamblinWreck.com

SteamWhistle, Gold1 and GTFLETCH like this.
  3. Silk3

Silk3 Helluva Engineer

We use to kill it in intramural bball

4. Oakland

Oakland Helluva Engineer

His tutors must have been outstanding.

TromboneJacket likes this.
  5. Techster

Techster Helluva Engineer

Obviously different circumstances, but remember he played on the 2014 team with Deandre Smelter...and Smelter was just flat out dominant for us. You think about how good Waller is in the NFL now, and how amazing that WR corp would have been with Smelter on one side and a fully committed Waller on the other side. We saw flashes of how good Waller could have been when Smelter was out with an injury.

BTW...it's REALLY fun to go back and watch video of that 2014 team. Man, if we had a half decent defense that year...

6. Gtbowhunter90

Gtbowhunter90 Helluva Engineer Contributing Writer

I think hes embellishing a little here.... for one, suspended or not, if his *** showed up drunk and pilled out I think it's safe to assume CPJ probably would've kicked him off the team on the spot. Did he drink, yeah probably but dude was not loaded like he describes.

Regardless, the kid was definitely a knucklehead and he should be thanking whoever that he isnt locked up, broke or dead based off the way he was living. I'm super happy that he was able to turn his life around. Hopefully no more issues from him in the future.

7. takethepoints

takethepoints Helluva Engineer

His great-grandad (that'd be Fats Waller) did that all the time and performed like a champ at every gig. Maybe it runs in the family.

I keed, I keed. I don't know what Fats's habits on this were. But there's no doubt at all that talent runs in that family. Big Time.

8. Gold1

Gold1 Helluva Engineer

Yeah seems like he’s making seem worse than it was

9. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

And people say Paul couldn’t get SEC type talent

10. Adadu

Adadu Helluva Engineer

I honestly doubt he is embellishing this.

11. Augusta_Jacket

How so? He says he played drunk and high in a game for which he was suspended, and wasn't even dressed out on the sidelines. Embellished is the most polite term to use.

awbuzz and Skeptic like this.
  12. GCdaJuiceMan

GCdaJuiceMan Helluva Engineer

Did we watch the same video? He never mentioned actually playing in the game and at the end of the video he states that being suspended, he knew he could do what ever he wanted before hand and mess around on the sidelines.

13. Adadu

Adadu Helluva Engineer

He has told other stories where he was just completely off the rails. This does not seem out of the realm of possibility one bit. Also, he never said he was playing. He specifically said he was not playing in this game. Huge fan of his now for getting it back together!

14. 33jacket

33jacket Helluva Engineer

if he was drunk and high he likely is mixing the team up cuz can't recall properly

it probably happened. It just wasn't wofford.

Gtbowhunter90 likes this.
  15. GaTech4ever

GaTech4ever Helluva Engineer

The speculation and guessing here is ridiculous, from people who don’t even know the man. I knew him then, he’s not exaggerating.

16. Adadu

Adadu Helluva Engineer

I would agree, maybe some of the holier than thou guys who treat the program like we're made up of a bunch of angels and schools like UGA are "a bunch of thugs" can finally realize these guys are human.

17. Gtbowhunter90

Gtbowhunter90 Helluva Engineer Contributing Writer

Ugh calling kids thugs is a huge pet peeve of mine..

thebull35 and mndojckt like this.
  18. Adadu

Adadu Helluva Engineer

More than that, it's just the mindset that we are somehow immune from things like this happening because we are the great and mighty academic institution of Georgia Tech. So let's just try to support these guys when **** happens instead of saying "impossible."

thebull35, Ibeeballin and Scubapro like this.
  19. Augusta_Jacket

I don't think there is much speculation. Everyone knew then he had a substance abuse problem. It wasn't exactly a secret. The biggest contention I've seen is mainly from the previous title of the thread. He obviously didn't play against Wofford while drunk and high. The new thread title makes a lot more sense.

20. Adadu

Adadu Helluva Engineer

Well, you obviously didn't watch the video and just made assumptions off the title then. Well done.

Lee likes this.